Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

Peyton Place is one I have been looking forward to reading, frankie, I'm pleased to hear it's so good! ;)

I really disliked it in the beginning, there were all these characters that were introduced and the scenery was depicted in so many words and it felt like the story'll stay at a really superficial level, but it got better and better. At first I thought I'd have to give it 1/5, then I was pleased to find I could give it at least 2/5, then 3/5, and at the end I couldn't help but give it a 4/5 :D I'm even contemplating reading the sequels.

What's Peyton Place about? It sounds familiar; was it a TV show or movie once?

I never actually saw it, but I think it was an American soap opera in the sixties.

Something like that, yeah, me thinks. But the novel came first and was published in 1956. According to wikipedia, "Peyton Place sold 60,000 copies within the first ten days of its release and remained on the New York Times best seller list for 59 weeks.". One of the reasons why it became such a success is it's including issues that were really controversial back in the day. There's even graphic sex scenes. I was talking about reading this novel on a another book forum and one of the other members told me that eventhough her father always supported her reading and gave her loads and loads of books to read and never limited her reading in any way, this was actually one of the two books that her father said that she should absolutely not read it. Of course she did though, in secret :D.

I've started reading Alice in Wonderland.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kidsmum - woo for Thirteenth Tale! I loved that book and can't wait to hear what you think :D.

Glad you liked it i'll let you know what i think when i get round to reading it ;)

I'm about 100 pages into The Fourth Queen now & i've also started When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron i've got this on audio tape & have listened to it loads so i'm only dipping into the book really.

Edited by Kidsmum

What's Peyton Place about? It sounds familiar; was it a TV show or movie once?

I never actually saw it, but I think it was an American soap opera in the sixties.

I really disliked it in the beginning, there were all these characters that were introduced and the scenery was depicted in so many words and it felt like the story'll stay at a really superficial level, but it got better and better. At first I thought I'd have to give it 1/5, then I was pleased to find I could give it at least 2/5, then 3/5, and at the end I couldn't help but give it a 4/5 :D I'm even contemplating reading the sequels.

Something like that, yeah, me thinks. But the novel came first and was published in 1956. According to wikipedia, "Peyton Place sold 60,000 copies within the first ten days of its release and remained on the New York Times best seller list for 59 weeks.". One of the reasons why it became such a success is it's including issues that were really controversial back in the day. There's even graphic sex scenes. I was talking about reading this novel on a another book forum and one of the other members told me that eventhough her father always supported her reading and gave her loads and loads of books to read and never limited her reading in any way, this was actually one of the two books that her father said that she should absolutely not read it. Of course she did though, in secret ;).

Yup, yup, and yup. The movie was considered "shocking" back when it first came out. Lana Turner got all the juicy roles back then. :D

Then there was Return to Peyton Place. /sigh/

I have a new copy on my shelf, haven't read my old paperback in decades though. Maybe someday..... :D

I am 70 pages into Two Caravans and I rally am bored already. There is nothing I like about it. As it is my library book I will carry on, but I think I will need to read another book at the same time or my mojo will go :D and I have a pile of books that I must delve into soon!

Yup, yup, and yup. The movie was considered "shocking" back when it first came out. Lana Turner got all the juicy roles back then. ;)

I sooooo want to watch the movie! :D

Then there was Return to Peyton Place. /sigh/

Why the sigh? Not any good? I think it sold quite nicely but was never the success PP was, which I think is quite understandably. Controversial first novels are usually always better than the sequels which are maybe written only in the hope that they'd create as much money as the previous title.

I've had a really good reading day today. I've so far read 150 pages of my book which is pretty good going for me and I'm enjoying the book so much I'm planning on heading off to bed for an early night later in order to try and get the book finished.

I've never heard of Peyton's Place before but from reading all the comments on here it sounds like I may have to keep an eye open for it.

Had a nice delivery from Amazon yesterday: my paperback copy (already had the hardback) of Dust of Dreams, the ninth tale of 'The Malazan Book of The Fallen'. Had to get a Canadian edition, seeing as - with the 8th book - the size of the UK editions changed from regular to HUGE. Really annoys me when they change these things part way through a series. Still, happy now :D

I have just finished 50 Harbour Street by Debbie Macomber and am going to read a review book The Great Destructions by Melanie Ray

I've not done any reading so far today, but that's all about to change. My plans for today include me finishing my current read and writing the review so that I can start a new book later.

I also want to get around to starting a book log here on Book Club Forum, although I haven't quite figured out the best way to go about it yet.

I've read more of Rama Revealed today. I'm almost 150 pages in now. I'm hoping to get in a couple of good reading sessions over the weekend.

I found a book in our little staff shop at work that I couldn't resist buying:

My Grammar and I by Caroline Taggart and JA Wines

I can't help myself when it comes to grammar/language books. I no doubt have all the grammar info I need already, but it's a nice hardcover book and, well...(runs out of excuses). :D

I've just started Francis Wheen's Strange Days Indeed: The Golden Age of Paranoia. The blurb says:

In Strange Days Indeed one of the funniest and sharpest writers of our time takes on the 70s -the decade that sanity forgot. In doing so he makes this age of paranoia, crisis and deluded clothing choices hugely entertaining and, given our own recent troubles, extremely relevant.

As a young hippie, Wheen set off in search of the 'alternative society' only to find a world on the verge of a collective nervous breakdown. With his brilliantly acute sense of the absurd, he gives us the jaw-dropping low-down on the madness of politicians, the trial of Rupert Bear, the threat of nuclear apocalypse and, most disturbingly of all, the bent cutlery of Uri Geller.

Well, I can certainly vouch for the deluded clothing choices, if nothing else ...

I'm well into Popco, I couldn't put it down last night, and read about 140 pages. I'll probably have it finished by the end of tomorrow. :D Still have absolutely no idea where it's going, and I've decided (between this & Mr. Y) that the author really IS obsessed with totally gratuitous sex, but other than that it's quite a gripping book, though I don't know why.