Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixie, my pleasure. Some writers just completely have 'it'. You wait...there are more of Linda's books to read! :D

I have not been able to put this book down (except to grab a tissue and bawl my head off) and now I have to because it's about time to leave for work.

I already have Star Gazing and just ordered A Lifetime Burning which I had to purchase used. It was all I could find here in the US. :D

I have been reading The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe today - liking it so far :D Just been to the library and too out:

Dave Boling: Guernica (a R & J Book Club read)

Judy Blume: Forever

I really enjoyed The Lost Book of Salem. Guernica wasn't such a good read for me.

Forever brings back lots of memories for me. I was a huge Judy Blume fan as a kid and just used to buy any of her books when they appeared in the shops, without really looking to see what they were about. I think I was about 10 or 11 at the time, so Forever was a bit of a surprise!

I have not been able to put this book down (except to grab a tissue and bawl my head off) and now I have to because it's about time to leave for work.

I already have Star Gazing and just ordered A Lifetime Burning which I had to purchase used. It was all I could find here in the US. :D

If you loved Emotional Geology then you won't be disappointed by the other two. Linda Gillard is an amazing writer.

I have just started Patrick Rothfuss - The name of the wind and realised one page in that I have read it before, can't rmember what happens so will carry on for bit, age and lack of memory does have its advantages i suppose.

I have been book shelf sorting!

I am still in Phase 1, which is to go through the books and decide on keepers and giver-awayers + damp dust the shelves (it's been a while).

Phase 2 is to arrange the books according to author / type.

Phase 3 is the one I am truly looking forward to ~ standing back and giving a contented sigh at my gleaming filled shelves. :D

I have been book shelf sorting!

I am still in Phase 1, which is to go through the books and decide on keepers and giver-awayers + damp dust the shelves (it's been a while).

Phase 2 is to arrange the books according to author / type.

Phase 3 is the one I am truly looking forward to ~ standing back and giving a contented sigh at my gleaming filled shelves. :D

Hmmm... sounds like someone's putting off trying to get their mojo back in gear ;)

I've read some more of Brooklyn which I'm completely in love with, and I picked up City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare and Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead from the library.

Hmmm... sounds like someone's putting off trying to get their mojo back in gear ;)

I can see why you might, but it's because OH is away and it's the first chance I've had! :D

Good news though...For the first time in ages I'm not feeling overwhelmed by my vast TBR mountains, I feel like I have lots of reading to look forward to. Can't be bad. :D

Just finished Empire In Black And Gold, the first in the 'Shadows of The Apt' series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Slightly confused by this one. I thought the first hundred pages was very pedstrian then, for the next three hundred or so, I thought it was brilliant, and then it kind of lost its way towards the end. Bit of a problem with the pacing. Still, it's understandable, being his debut novel. I shall still read the next one with interest.

Also bought a load more books today:

Tau Zero by Poul Anderson

Non-Stop by Brian Aldiss

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance

Elric by Michael Moorcock

The Killing Floor by Lee Child

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Three of them were planned, two of them were impulse buys :D

I have the end of The World to Come in sight! Thankfully... This has turned into a pretty bizarre book so I'm glad to see it come to a close :D. I definitely need something light after this one!

Thanks Pixie! I'm so pleased you enjoyed EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY. And thanks for the purchases. :D

My books haven't made much of an impact in the US but they have had a lot of good blog reviews. RhapsodyinBooks, an Arizona book blogger has reviewed all 3 now and as a consequence she invited me to write a lot of guest blogs for her, about creating characters, being shortlisted for awards, etc. One of them included an imaginary rejection letter to Charlotte Bronte in which a modern day editor tells CB exactly why JANE EYRE isn't commercial. I had some fun with that! ;) Check out http://rhapsodyinbooks.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/i-used-to-be-snow-white-but-i-drifted-guest-blog-by-author-linda-gillard/

About 3/4 through A Game of Thrones. Taking me a lifetime to read this book, but I'm loving it all the same. Also put a personal ban on buying new books as of today. :D

My mojo is still AWOL and I haven't picked up a book in two days.;)

Aww, bad luck. :D I hate it when that happens.

I've just the improbably-long-titled Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary Jacky Faber, Ship's Boy by L A Mayer