Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

It seems as if I finally got my reading mojo back a little bit. Read two chapters of Burned and am hoping to get a little more in before bed tonight :smile2: Great book so far, but not my favorite in the series, TBH.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine from Canada brought me over a copy of The Book of Negroes a while back, Talisman - Lawrence Hill lives in Toronto and came into the bookshop where she works. It's a very good read - I'm not normally a fan of the sprawling historic novel, but this, I thought, was very good. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I've been naughty:lurker: over the past few internet-less days, I have: set aside Eyes Like Stars to read the first 7 pages of Kiss of Life, and then proceeded to set aside the Kiss of Life to read the first 22 pages of David Lozano's The Dark Door: The Traveller (which, along with Pullman's The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, was given to me as a birthday present). I fear this 'reading one book at a time' malarkey may not be suited to my temperament.

I'm suddenly finding it a struggle, my reading mojo hasn't exactly left but it's curled up in a corner sulking and asking if it can go out for a pizza instead.

At the moment I'm three quarters of the way through The Undrowned Child .. it's a good story but I'm finding it hard to give it my full attention. June is full of distractions.

Just finished 1984 and im gobsmacked by how accurate the predictions of George Orwell were, particularly with his observations on the nature of society, war, government and control. I will need to read the book again to fully appreciate it but right now im dying to discuss it, is there a 1984 thread here anywhere, i searched but couldnt find. :smile2:

I always think that about all the TV screens you see now mounted on walls, and TV's in all the rooms of the house (or a lot of the rooms) I said to hubby .. Big Brother is just waiting for us to install all the equipment .. and then he's going to plug us in to his network. Frightens me half to death. As you say a lot of his predictions were scarily accurate, and are becoming more so all the time, man was a genius.

Edited by poppyshake

I've barely read anything in 3 days. :smile2: It's so frustrating. I always tell myself that I'll get plenty of reading done on the long weekend but somehow I never read anything. I seem to be incapable of reading at home lately, even though I have plenty of time on my hands. ;) I'm almost glad to go back to work tomorrow just so I can get some reading done on the train (maybe I should have spent my entire weekend riding back and forth on the train :lol:).

Just started reading The Castle. Again. Kafka was a genius, the way he portrays the internal conflicts of K is so perfect. I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts.

Edited by BookJumper
Added punctuation and capitals

Let the Right One In has turned out to be something completely different from what I had expected. I'm not sure it it's a good or a bad thing.

I hope it's a good thing, this is one of my favourite reads from last year! :D

I've almost finished The Vampire's Revenge, will probably finish it tonight :D

Just finished 1984 and im gobsmacked by how accurate the predictions of George Orwell were, particularly with his observations on the nature of society, war, government and control. I will need to read the book again to fully appreciate it but right now im dying to discuss it, is there a 1984 thread here anywhere, i searched but couldnt find. :D

There is, but it's listed under its published title of Nineteen Eighty-Four, which is maybe why you couldn't find it? :D

I've been reading In Southern Waters by Ian Marchant for my dissertation. It is OK so far, although there has been some very strong language which I haven't liked.

It was easy for me to know - I started the thread! :D

I love George Orwell!

Me as well, i was gobsmacked whilst reading the book as to how accurate his statements on war, the hierarchy of society and the true nature of war were, i will have to re-read it a couple of times to fully understand the messages. Next on my list is Animal Farm.:D