Terry Pratchett

Michelle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny and the Dead. I never got into the discworld novels but I liked the Johnny ones.

If you want a discworld one though try Mort, it's the only one I've ever managed to read

thank you, sounds good to me, I wasn't convinced I would like the disc world ones either..

http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html

That's a handy guide thanks to Kell if I remember rightly. :)

WOW! that's handy to know...I might be tempted now.....

Edited by Kell
merged posts

I havent read any of his novels but recently got wintersmith out of the library .I am planning to start reading it soon .

You might want to read Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky before you read Wintersmith, as it is the third in the Tiffany Aching series.

Did anybody see the tv programme about his alzheimers. Very interesting.

Oh yes, wasn't it fascinating?

It's difficult to know what to say about it, isn't it? I found the science regarding his Alzheimers riveting, but it was also so emotional and heart rending, not only for him, but for the people he encountered.

I found myself sympathetic to the candid admission from the daughter of a fellow PCA sufferer that she had a momentary "Yes!" moment when TP revealed his condition, knowing it would bring publicity, money and research in a way that a non celebrity sufferer couldn't.

I found Mr Pratchett to be a really thoughtful and intelligent man, but he lacked any cloying piety thank goodness! As he says of his PCA himself; it's an 'embuggerance'! :lol:

I liked his assistant, (was it Rob?) he came across as quite a helpful friend. I liked that he wasn't all "Do you need a blanket?" with Mr P, but was more of a cynical companion.

He was able to say what changes he had noticed since the diagnosis, which must be invaluable to the health professionals.

I liked his assistant, (was it Rob?) he came across as quite a helpful friend. I liked that he wasn't all "Do you need a blanket?" with Mr P, but was more of a cynical companion.

He was able to say what changes he had noticed since the diagnosis, which must be invaluable to the health professionals.

Yeah Rob was good. He seemed to be really helpful for TP, it must be good for TP to have him around.

I didn't know there were play station games.

I know there's a stage version of Mort though, I was going to be in an amateur production of it. That's why it's the only discworld novel I've managed to read. I loved the Johnny books though

I have just finished reading Pyramids. Here is my review:

pyramids.jpg

Synopsis:

Being trained by the Assassin's Guild in Ankh-Morpork did not fit Teppic for the task assigned to him by fate. He inherited the throne of the desert kingdom of Djelibeybi rather earlier than he expected (his father wasn't too happy about it either), but that was only the beginning of his problems..."Pyramids" (the book of going forth) is the seventh Discworld novel - and the most outrageously funny to date.

This Discworld novel follows Teppic as he trains as an assassin (yep, I thought that was funny too) and then becomes king of the pyramid country that is Djelibeybi (pronouced De- Jelly-Baby, another that made me laugh). The problem beginnings when Teppic has to build a pyramid for his father, something they both think seems a ridiculous idea. The book sees exploding pyramids, crazy priests and gods going mad. And of course, a visit from Death.

So far, this has been the worst Discworld novel in my opinion. I felt it took a little while to get going, and there were some times I found myself tuning out. However, towards the end, the action picks up and it is fair to say the book is exciting and hilarious. It was definitely worth persevering for.

As ever, Pratchett transported me to a different area of the Discworld, and I was happy to go. The descriptions were such that I could clearly picture the area and the characters were as funny as usual. My favourite was probably Teppic's father, as he watched himself being mummified and listening to him chat to people who couldn't hear him. His journey of self-discovery in death was very humorous.

Although I eventually enjoyed this book, it has not been my favourite. However, I am eager to get to the next one in the series.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my review for Guards! Guards!

guards-guards.jpg

Synopsis:

This is where the dragons went. They lie...not dead, not asleep, but...dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key... Guards! Guards! is the eighth Discworld novel - and after this, dragons will never be the same again!

This has become another one of my favourite Discworld books - and the focus is on dragons! The story follows a Guild who summon a dragon to gain the throne, but of course, this back fires when they try to dismiss the dragon. It seems, dragons have minds of their own and don't like being controlled. So the dragon comes back and claims the throne. And of course, there is fire, fear, little dragons, dwarfs and fights. This book is genius, I really enjoyed it.

I liked Errol, the old, lazy, pet dragon - a cleverly written character. I still like the Librarian, he is funny! I like how people don't mess with him, genius! And I liked Carrot - an officer of the law who actually arrested people! What an incredible idea! A dwarf, who was too big to dwarf, who killed someone using a metaphor - very funny.

The whole book was highly enjoyable. We haven't seen dragons since The Colour of Magic, the first Discworld novel, so it was exciting to have them feature so highly in this book. As always, Pratchett is humorous and descriptive. I have no trouble imagining what is happening around me, however fantastic and crazy. I love this series, none have been a disappointment.

9/10

Dragons don't feature very heavily in the Discworld books, in fact - barring references to the ones Sybil keeps in later books - I think Guards! Guards! may be about it for them.

Not sure, can anyone else remember a story with dragons?