Terry Pratchett

Michelle

My favourite new character is Moist Von Lipwig though I wish he would have expanded on William De Worde as Truth is by far my most favourite!

Agreed. Moist I find very likeable (or at least, found very likeable until my copy of "Going Postal" went walkies 50 pages from the end; I keep forgetting to re-buy that...), however William from "The Truth" (which I'm currently reading painstakingly slowly, although that is my fault and not Terry's; in fact Terry should be commended for managing to make me read at all, at the minute) is a character I actually identified with... it would be awesome if there was more of him, but alas!, no second WdW novel!

Re: "Wyrd Sisters", I enjoyed it for diametrically opposite reasons :readingtwo: - being a Shakespeare/Theatre Studies buff, I revelled in every reference (no matter how small or obscure). If it was a mickey take, I think it was a mickey take born of love and respect, an in-joke if you like.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention my copies of Going Postal and Hat Full of Sky are signed!! For Hat Full of Sky, my friend and I waited in line for a good five hours in the freezing cold. Thankfully there were some lovely people in the line around us, one of which did hot chocolate runs if we held his place in line. Apparently we were the two youngest people Mr. Prattchett had seen all day (We were 15 at the time) XD He had his wonderful hat and a bottle of Irish Whiskey on the table by him.

For Going Postal, my mother was at some sort of convention or other and came down out of an elevator to find his stall a few meters away. The message in my book reads, "Dear Jasmine, your Mum had to wait 5 minutes! TP".

To launch Nation, he came to our little Island bookshop. I unfortunately wasn't able to get tickets but it was apparently a great hit.

lords-and-ladies.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

THE FAIRIES ARE BACK - BUT THIS TIME THEY DON'T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH...

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It's Midsummer Night. No time for dreaming...

With a full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

This is the 14th book in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. This adventure sees the return of the elves, and they are not as pretty and nice as they seem... Granny Weatherwax is up for a big fight - aided by the wizards.

This book is up there with my favourites. I found it very entertaining. I really enjoy the Witch books, I have found all of them to be funny and exciting, and this one was no different. In fact, the humour of this book was aided by the fact a selection of the wizards had come along. I like the Librarian - what a great character.

As ever, Pratchett's imagination is just incredible. He draws you into this alternative world, full of fighting and mythical characters, and just lets the action unfold. His descriptions are just amazing, and I really want to travel to the Discworld.

Nanny Ogg is fast becoming one of my favourites character. She is witty and generally humorous, and a great companion to the hilarious Granny Weatherwax. I thought the old love flame between Granny and the Arch Chancellor was great, it added another dimension to the books.

As always, I really enjoyed this Discworld book, and this has to be top rated. It was full of great fight scenes, humour and pure adventure. A really good read.

10/10

Wyrd Sisters = Macbeth-ish / Lords and Ladies = Midsummer Night's Dream-ish. :D

Witches Abroad = Cinderella-ish too.

Gotta love Mr Pratchett! :D

My Mum's stuck on a quiz clue so I thought I'd ask the experts. :D

The question is "who is 137th in line to the throne in Nation?"

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this helps, but I think he's Daphne's father - does anyone know that character's name please? Thanks. :D

ETA: Not to worry - I posted on another forum and now have the answer. :)

Edited by Janet

• 4 weeks later...

i've been doing a harry potter read through so havent been able to read any pratchett but im a few chapters away from the end of deathly hallows so it's almost time for some discworld.

I have so many discworld books ive yet to read so i cant wait to make a start.

This thread needs to come back alive!

Just reporting that I bought a hardback copy of Pratchett's The Last Hero today as I didn't have it in my collection. I've never bought it because I thought it was too expensive for what it was, but I got it for

• 2 weeks later...

men-at-arms.jpg?w=179

Synopsis from Amazon:

Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City Watch needs MEN!

But what it's
got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf), Lance-constable Cuddy (really a dwarf), Lance-constable Detrius (a troll), Lance-constable Angua (a woman...most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving).

And they need all the help they can get. Because they've only got twenty-four hours to clean up the town and this is
Ankh-Morpork
we're talking about...

Ankh-Morpork is in trouble. There are a series of mysterious murders, a student who wants a king put on the throne and the "Gone", a very dangerous weapon with a mind of its own. So who is there to solve this mystery? The Night-Watch, consisting of an adopted dwarf, a real dwarf, a werewolf and a troll. How will pan out....?

This is another Discworld classic. It is number 15 in the series. I found this book just as enjoyable as the others. Pratchett's writing was engaging and inviting. As ever, Ankh-Morpork is described so well that you lose yourself there. The characters have been seen in other books, and were hilarious at times. My favourites were Death, who makes a couple of appearances, with some very wittyone-liners; Corporal Carrot, a very simple human who was adopted by dwarfs and Gaspode the talking dog. His manipulation of humans was classic. The conversations between Cuddy and Detrius were amusing, as trolls and dwarfs traditionally dislike each other, so they rivalry had to continue for show. Detrius learning to count and his use of numbers had me laughing too. Pratchett is very original with his ideas of a Fools Guild, an Assassin Guild and even a Dog Guild. This is a very well thought out and well written book.

I recommend this book because it is engaging, full of danger, and adventure and hilarious. This is a grea fantasy book and well worth reading.

9/10

Ahhh, almost time for some Pratchett.

I often visit my favourite bookshop and every time I go there seems to be a few more Discworld novels that I don't have and as I know they go fast, I buy them.

Yesterday I bought about 8 books from there and got a few more Discworld ones so now I have about 16 waiting to be read sat on my shelf! I can't really complain as the bookshop does decent quality books for

No fair, I badly want "Unseen Academicals" - I lurve UU - but I do not want the voluminous hardback...!! Think I'll have to get this from the library so as to get to read it immediately, and buy the paperback for my own collection as soon as it becomes available.

Like Bookjumper, I love the Unseen University and can't wait for Unseen Academicals! I won't be getting the hardcover, I want to get all of the series in the Corgi versions with the images on the covers.

:lol:

Pyramids is really good, however, I can't help but think it would be really good to have a book entirely about someone in the Assassins Guild! Still, it's a brilliant read!

The first Discworld book i read and subsequently couldnt get enough of the series was 'ERIC'. :lol: He becomes Deaths apprentice and is a real page turner,from that i now think i have the entire series of 26 books,and cannot wait for more Witches,Wizards,Trolls,The watch,Small gods and all the other amazing characters.:lol:

The first Discworld book i read and subsequently couldnt get enough of the series was 'ERIC'. :lol: He becomes Deaths apprentice and is a real page turner,from that i now think i have the entire series of 26 books,and cannot wait for more Witches,Wizards,Trolls,The watch,Small gods and all the other amazing characters.:lol:

Sorry folks, got my books mixed up Eric falls in love with deaths daughter, Mort is deaths apprentice. Dont worry i wont hurt you, i think sinility is settin in:blush:lol.