Terry Pratchett

Michelle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually read the WHOLE series? all of it?

Of course! :) It wasn't a hardship, as the books are so enjoyable. My favourites are the City Watch ones too.

I think I will have read all the Discworld books by the end of 2009 easily. Infact, I will make sure I have. They are so brilliant it really won't be hard at all. Theres not one that I've read so far and not enjoyed. Obviously some alot more than others but I loved reading them all.

I'm reading The Light Fantastic now. I understand a lot of people say the first couple of books aren't the greatest, but I'm enjoying it (what little I've been able to read among everything else happening in my life :)).

Theres supposed to be another Moist book in the pipelines...

That is also a sentence in itself - LOL! Sounds like someone's been dropping their Discworld books in the bath! :)

Sounds like someone's been dropping their Discworld books in the bath! :)

... I succeeded in doing just that a few days ago actually; my long-lost copy of "The Truth" now being a bit soggy around the edges.

Nothing, however, compared to the state my copy of Douglas Adams's "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" after three hours in an open bag during a rather thunderstormy Bruce Springsteen concert. That one was actually glued together and had to be re-acquired from scratch.

"The Truth", on the other hand, is recovering quite well, and being enjoyed by me immensely. No, not in that sense, the other sense.

witches-abroad.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

It seemed an easy job...After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now...

Book 12 of the Discworld series sees a return of Granny Weatherwax. This time, with her partners, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, they go travelling. Their aim: to stop a servant girl from marrying a prince. Based around fairy tales, namely The Wizard of Oz and Cinderella, the three witches travel abroad to fight mirror magic and happy endings.

As usual, Pratchett has delivered a treat. I love the Discworld books. None of them have disappointed me. Pratchett writes in a way that draws you in; he is engaging and funny; and when reading, although these books are fantasy, you have no trouble believing them. His descriptions are near perfect, and you find yourself there in the Disworld alongside the characters. I really enjoy how Terry Pratchett takes a story or a concept, so in this book it was fairy tales, and reinvents them and makes them his own. He is a very talented writer.

Along with his other books, Pratchett has a feast of characters who you just enjoy reading. The witches are so funny. Every book that features them is funny. Granny Weatherwax is legendary. She is witty, intelligent, and never backs down. My favourite bit was when she tried to dance. As for Nanny Ogg - she is a genius creation. Her post cards, and her translations, along with the drinking was very funny. Of course, Death features in this book too. And of course, he was not a let down. He is a very funny character.

I enjoyed this novel. It is full of fantasy, adventure, and a few family secrets. This book wasn't a let down.

8/10

Pratchett books do tend to go quickly

It's true, my blokee and I did a car boot last year and between us we had quite a few Pratchett novels we had both got doubles of. Anyway, they all sold and no other books did really. That's my only addition to this. I read Mort when I was a kid but I've never really got into Pratchett since, try as I might. Sad times.

It's true, my blokee and I did a car boot last year and between us we had quite a few Pratchett novels we had both got doubles of. Anyway, they all sold and no other books did really.

Gah! That's a bit demoralising considering I've got loads of books I was going to try and get rid of at a car boot sale, and my Pratchett books definitely won't be going!! Oh well, I guess I've saved myself from having to get up at 5am. :)

• 2 weeks later...

small-gods1.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

In the beginning was the Word.

And the Word was: "Hey, you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please...

Meet Brutha. He is not overly intelligent - in fact people think he is a bit nuts. But that might be because his god is trapped inside a tortoise, one he is carrying around and talking to. As it happens, he is right; and his mission, find some philosophers who can get the god out. A road trip is in order. Along the way they experience horrors such as the sea god, ship wrecks and war. All in all, another Discworld extravagant adventure, full of fantasy, humour and anticipation.

This is book thirteen in the Discworld series. I did not enjoy this one as much as others I have read. That said, this book is still funny and worth reading. Pratchett takes you into a fantasy world, filled with gods, all whom need followers to survive. As ever, his writing style is such that I was easily transported to the Discworld and remained focused and interested in the book.

I like to see characters who featured in other books pop up, and this is the case. The most persistant character is Death - who of course had me laughing, and Dibbler - that man is funny too, with the way he tries to bargin with everyone, gods included. Brutha was a great character too, even though this is the only book he will feature in. His simple nature, and his faithfulness to his god made him an enjoyable and humorous read.

Overall, although not the funniest book in this series, I did enjoy this book and would recommend it to anyone.

7/10

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit the Going Postal, followed by Monstrous Regiment were my two favourite books. Closely followed by The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

As for my favourite character series, it'd have to be Vimes' and then Rincewind. I was never that keen on the Witches, nor Susan.

Mort was the first book I read, and that was also awesome.

I had Monstrous Regiment read out to me and must admit found it boring! Not his best imo ... I love the Witches - when I first read Wyrd Sisters I had just gone through Macbeth three times (three times too many!) and, therefore found that book absolutely hilarious for the mickey take. I do prefer the Witches and Watch Books, Rincewind is all right but - well ... I want to shut him up.

I agree though that Susan gets on my nerves too.

My favourite new character is Moist Von Lipwig though I wish he would have expanded on William De Worde as Truth is by far my most favourite!