Terry Pratchett

Michelle

Doesn't Terry Pratchett have the record for the author having the most books stolen from public libraries in the UK or something? ;)

OMG :) I read that in the way that Pratchett is the author who steals books the most from libraries in UK :)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My BF has a few Pratchett books and I'm pretty tempted by Thud! So far I've only read Good Omens by Pratchett and Neil Gaimen and loved it!!

The only thing that's stopping me is the fact that if I start reading them, I'll get hooked and end up failing my degree!! So......only another 3 and half years to go before I can start them! ;)

"Thud!" is actually really good; I'd almost forgfotten about how awesome the quaffing, gold-loving, all-round-bearded and -helmeted dwarves are. Definitely reccommended.

As for trying not to fail your degree, you could instruct the boyfriend to only loan you one Pratchett at a time, and only as a reward when you've handed in an essay or done an exam and are thus entering an interim of relative freedom from the pressure of deadlines?

Ahh, I'm determined to complete the Harry Potter series back to back, however, I have too many Terry Pratchett books on the TBR shelf in my bedroom and keep seeing people say about good Pratchett books.

I think I shall punctuate my reading of the 7 Potter books and The Hobbit &LOTR with at least one Terry Pratchett I haven't yet read.

Does anyone else ever think they would like to go on holiday to Ankh-Morpork for a week or two? Maybe its just me.

:roll:

Ahhh, you are in for a real treat with the Death books, I still have some Death ones to read. I have read Mort, Reaper Man is the one screaming for me to read it on my book shelf. What is the other Death book? :roll: I can't wait to be paid. Might treat myself to the rest of the Pratchett collection ;):D:D

From fantasticfiction.co.uk

Discworld

1. The Colour of Magic (1983)

2. The Light Fantastic (1986)

3. Equal Rites (1987)

4. Mort (1987)

5. Sourcery (1988)

6. Wyrd Sisters (1988)

7. Pyramids (1989)

8. Guards! Guards! (1989)

9. Eric (1990)

10. Moving Pictures (1990)

11. Reaper Man (1991)

12. Witches Abroad (1991)

13. Small Gods (1992)

14. Lords and Ladies (1992)

15. Men at Arms (1993)

16. Soul Music (1994)

17. Interesting Times (1994)

18. Maskerade (1995)

19. Feet of Clay (1996)

20. Hogfather (1996)

21. Jingo (1997)

22. The Last Continent (1998)

23. Carpe Jugulum (1998)

24. The Fifth Elephant (1999)

25. The Truth (2000)

26. Thief of Time (2001)

27. Night Watch (2002)

28. Monstrous Regiment (2003)

29. Going Postal (2004)

30. Thud! (2005)

31. Making Money (2007)

32. The Unseen Academicals (2009)

I thought the Tiffany Aching books were Discworld as well?

They are, but they are for children, so they I don't think thy count as "official" Discworld novels.

ETA:

Thanks raven, which ones are the guards?

8. Guards! Guards! (1989)

15. Men at Arms (1993)

19. Feet of Clay (1996)

21. Jingo (1997)

24. The Fifth Elephant (1999)

27. Night Watch (2002)

28. Monstrous Regiment (2003) - to an extent

30. Thud! (2005)

Edited by Raven

They are, but they are for children, so they I don't think thy count as "official" Discworld novels.

The Tiffany Aching do have some of the other characters in them, DEATH and Granny Weatherwax amongst them. I love them, despite being so far beyond aged 21 it's no longer funny! :roll:

Might have to check out the Tiffany Aching ones, I didn't even know about them. I'm looking forward to The Unseen Academicals as I absoloutly love the wizards. They so don't live up to their expectations of what wizards should be like its brilliant.

I also have Making Money, but I didn't get round to finishing it for some reason. I will read it as I really liked Moist Von Lipwig but I think I will buy and finish Going Postal first.

Do you have Making Money? If not I do, and could send it on to you.

I do have it, but thank you for the offer!

I started reading it around Christmas, but wasn't in the right mood for it. I'm not a huge fan of Moist Von Lipwig, at least not a large enough fan for two novels based around him to be banged out in such quick succession.

I want to see another Witches book, the Tiffany Aching books are good, but I want another Granny Weatherwax/Nanny Ogg adventure!

OK, I never thought I'd actually type these words, but DEATH Rocks!

I love his character. Mr Pratchett should be stuffed and mounted when he expires - that man is utterly brilliant!

*quietly leaves forum accompanied by nursey*

Read them and find out! :roll: There's an excuse to splash out and get them! :lol:

DEATH speaks in capitals. When I read any stories with DEATH in I can hear his voice very clearly in my head. It has a slight echo to it, as if he's talking into a cave mouth! ;)