Terry Pratchett

Michelle

Just on the off-chance anyone is interested, a colleague I work with has a number of the early Clarecraft Discworld figures he is looking to get rid of.

He's planning to put them on e-bay, but I thought I would mention them here first just in case anyone is interested.

The figures he has include the three witches, the Night Watch, and Teppic the Assassin. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you the full list.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Pratchett never fails to impress.

I've read five or six of his Discworld books, but for some reason stopped. This was a good few years ago. Sometime I shall read all of his books, most likely in order of release.

Good Omens was also a fantastic book

I've read five or six Pratchetts now. I must admit, I much prefer his earlier work. The Discworld series has become too self-indulgent for my liking now. I find that plot plays second fiddle to Pratchett's concepts, and as a result the books have become slow to read. I like his humour and his skewed notions on life, but, all said, I read for a story, which is lacking more often now.

ahhh, i may be interested in the figures. Could you pm me a list of figures and prices by any chance? :D i just read Pyramids with Teppic the Assassin so may be interested in him.

Sorry atticjnr, I meant to get back to you on this before now, but he put them all on e-bay, I'm afraid! (I think the sales are on-going until this weekend, so check them out on there!).

• 4 weeks later...

interesting-times.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Mighty battles! Revolution! Death! War! (and his sons terror and panic, and daughter Clancy). The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld is in turmoil, brought about by the revolutionary treatise What I did on My Holidays. Workers are uniting, with nothing to lose but their water buffaloes. Warlords are struggling for power. War (and Clancy) are spreading throughout the ancient cities. And all that stands in the way of terrible doom for everyone is: Rincewind the Wizard, who can't even spell the word 'wizard'...Cohen the barbarian hero, five foot tall in his surgical sandals, who has had a lifetime's experience of not dying...and a very special butterfly.

This is book 18 in the Discworld series, and as enjoyable as the rest. In this novel we are taken on an adventure with the not-so-great wizard Rincewind. Known to get himself into trouble, he finds himself a pawn in the god's game. Sent by the wizards at Unseen University Rincewind ends up in an unknown kingdom were they were planning a very civilised revolution. He is believed to be The Great Wizard, and again, through running away he gives off this impression. Working alongside Cohen the Barbarian - not that either realise it - they embark on an adventure to take over the Empire and see which god is going to win their game.

I love this series. I have really enjoyed all of them, and this one is no exception. Rincewind novels make me laugh because he finds himself in the oddest situations and yet still comes out looking like a hero. I particularly enjoyed the return of Two Flower and Cohen the Barbarian. The Barbarian Horde were probably my favourite characters because they were all in their 90s or older and yet won many battles and still sniggered at sexual innuendoes. Their whole mentality and them trying to become 'civilised' was great reading.

I enjoyed the storyline of this book too. Emperors dying, the Red Army rising out of the ground, and a polite revolution - it was good fun. As ever, Pratchett leads headlong into the Discworld and his writing is so good he makes it seem real. He is witty, writes a good adventure and well worth reading.

As with his other novels, there is not a lot I can complain about - this is just a really good story that I enjoyed immensely. The Discworld books are high on my list of recommendations.

9/10

maskerade.jpg?w=188

Synopsis from Amazon:

THE SHOW MUST GO ON, AS MURDER, MUSIC AND MAYHEM RUN RIOT IN THE NIGHT...

The Opera House, Ankh-Morpork...a huge, rambling building, where innocent young sopranos are lured to their destiny by a strangely-familiar evil mastermind in a hideously-deformed evening dress...

At least, he hopes so. But Granny Weatherwax, Discworld's most famous witch, is in the audience. And she doesn't hold with that sort of thing.

So there's going to be trouble (but nevertheless a good evening's entertainment with murders you can really hum...)

This is book 18 in the Discworld Series, and one of my favourites. This is Terry Pratchett's take on The Phantom of the Opera. Now I love that musical, and this book just added to my love. I willdefinitely watch it in a completely different light now.

This is a Witches novel, and sees Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg travelling to Ankh-Morpork to see an opera. Yet there are strange goings-on in the opera house. There are a series of murders and money disappearing out the window. It seems that there is an Opera Ghost, who likes to leave notes that just say: "Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha!!!!!" The fear is rife in the opera, but the show must go on. So Granny sets herself up to investigate, while the show goes on, and unmasks the Opera Ghost.

This is classic Pratchett. I love the Witches novels. Both Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax are hilarious. This is a very funny take on The Phantom of the Opera - mainly mocking the idea that a small mask that only covers the eyes would hide someones identity. Death features in this book as well, and he is probably my favourite character. Pretty much all he says is funny, and I enjoyed his game of poker with Granny.

Pratchett yet again transported me to Ankh-Morpork and incorporated some of the funniest characters in this adventure. Of course it is unrealistic, but it is an amazing fantasy novel. I have no complaints and as ever, I am eager for the next Pratchett book. This is a great series, full of adventure, humour and amazing characters. I highly recommend this novel. It is very, very good.

10/10

Not really, Kylie. "Maskerade" was my first Witches book and I had no trouble understanding what was going on. I would second Kate's review, it's definitely one of the best Pratchetts I've read so far - Witches, City Watch & Phantom... what more could one want??

This is one that I've got on my TBR pile. I haven't read any other of the Witches though. Is it necessary to read them first?

I'd say you will get more out of them if you read them in order, if only because the characters stories do progress as the books go along.

• 1 month later...

feet-of-clay.jpg

Amazon description:

There's a werewolf with the pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who's begun to think for itself. But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that's only the start...There's treason in the air. A crime has happened. He's not only got to find out whodunit, buthowdunit too. He's not even sure what they dun. But soon as he knows what the questions are, he's going to want some answers.

To be honest, this has been my least favourite Discworld novel. I actually found myself mildly disappointed with it. This is book number 19 in the Discworld series, and although enjoyable, not as humorous or engaging as the rest of the series.

This is is Watch novel and we follow Vimes as he leads the team, which includes a dwarf and a werewolf as they investigate a crime that has not been authorised by any of the city's Guilds. We meetgolums that have created their own king, but the said creation has gone wild and is killing people. It is thinking for itself, which agolum should not do.

I usually enjoy Watch novels, but there was something lacking in this book. We are transported to the Discworld in Pratchett's usual way; and this book contains some characters we are fond of, such as Corporal Carrot, but I felt it lacked the usual adventure and endless humour that theDiscworld books usually entail. There is so much potential for this book, I just didn't feel it delivered the goods. I wasn't really a fan of thegolum's - they didn't interest me much. And being such a key part of the story, I think this was the problem.

Although not a bad book, this is the worst one of the series so far.

6/10

Oo! Harsh!

It's been a while since I last read it, but I remember Feet of Clay as being quite good.

I'll be interested to see what you think of Jingo (I'd recommend saving Hogfather for Christmas!).

I've had Hogfather on my shelf for months, but am saving it for Christmas! Have no idea what happens in it either as I haven't read it before but it seems ideal for Christmas!

Get them from the library then :friends0:

I've just finished replacing my entire Pratchett collection - it's taken me 10 months but is so nice to see all the Discworld books lined up together again!

But at least you'll have read them and you can work on owning them all slowly :D It took a lot of will-power for me to not just rush out and order the lot at once. It's been very satisfying seeing my collection build up again over time :friends0:

But at least you'll have read them and you can work on owning them all slowly :lol: It took a lot of will-power for me to not just rush out and order the lot at once. It's been very satisfying seeing my collection build up again over time :friends0:

Maybe I will try that. Then next year, I could probably afford to buy four books a month in mass market paperback with amazon's 4 for the price of 3 deal. I can have will-power. I can, I can! :D

Which book should I read first?