Terry Pratchett

Michelle

Hi all! I've never read a Terry Pratchett book, but reading this thread has gotten me thinking about it.

Which one would you recommend for the first???

Wow, tough question. Here is a list of Pratchett books, no quarantee though that it is complete. You may want to start with "Mort". However, wait a few days to see if you get other recommendations on where to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Discworld-Terry-Pratchett/lm/R3GNQGXRQBWZEU/ref=cm_lmt_fvlm_f_1_rlrsrs0

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all! I've never read a Terry Pratchett book, but reading this thread has gotten me thinking about it.

Which one would you recommend for the first???

If you're completely new to Pratchett, well, all I can say is - what fun you have coming your way! There's an excellent guide to possible reading orders HERE - start at any odf the golden-coloured squares - they all start "mini-series" within the Discworld as a whole. Start with ANY of those, except, perhaps, The Colour of Magic, as in my opinion, the very first two books in the Discworld series are the weakest (just my opinion, but I really do feel they're not a patch on the later books!).

I'd highly recommend starting with either Mort or Guards! Guards! as both are excellent and introduce some of the best-loved Discworld characters - Death and the City Wacth respectively.

After that, follow the thread you've chosen till you reach the end, then choose another to follow.

The most recent novel on the guide is A Hat Full of Sky, so the very latest one, Making Money isn't on there yet, but that one should be read after Going Postal.

And now, I shall sit back and let you immerse youself in the Discworld - you may be gone some time!

What Kell said! :welcome: I agree with everything she said. (Are you reading my mind Kell?)

I started with Mort, so I was going to say Mort or Guards! Guards!, the first in the City Watch sequence. As Kell said, the Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are the weakest and also my least favourite.

I think I might be on my own in thinking that the first two Discworlds were very enjoyable. They are a couple of my favourite Discworld tales. I can see, though, that they do not seem quite as 'polished' (if that is the right word) as his later books were.

I think I might start with the first two. For one, there's a part of me that would feel very weird starting a series in the middle, even if they are in little 'branches' of their own. :welcome: And secondly, if the first couple of books are weaker than the rest, then I would rather start with those so I can 'build up' to the better ones, rather than start off great and be disappointed later. Does that make sense? If I don't particularly enjoy the first two (which I'm sure won't be the case!) at least I know that it will only get better!

I intend reading my first Pratchett early in the new year. I can't wait! I've been wanting to read these books for sooo long.

One point that I feel might be in favour with starting at the beginning is that there is more explanation about the whole Discworld concept. Later Discworld books do have little bits of explanation here and there, but it tends to be slightly briefer (although not to the extent of being confusing).

To be honest, though, I don't think it really matters which book you being with. I have been reading them in publication order simply because I, too, felt it would be slightly strange starting a series half-way through.

I hope you enjoy them. :welcome:

Well, I've decided to start with Mort. Mostly because of everything that's been said here, and partly because I have a credit to spend at Audible.com and Mort is available:mrgreen:

I usually have an audiobook on my ipod for when I'm driving, cooking dinner, moving laundry, etc. I've listened to the first little bit (no idea what chapter, lol, but I've heard 21 minutes so far.) I'm enjoying it so far, seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Thanks to all for their input. These are obviously much-loved books.

I

Who is it that's doing the reading, Justme? I think I heard somewhere that the Tony Robinson audio books are abridged versions, but the Stephen Briggs ones are the full-length ones, but I couldn't swear to it.

Who is it that's doing the reading, Justme? I thin I heard somewhere that the Tony Robinson audio bokos are abridged versions, but the Stephen Briggs ones are the full-length ones, but I couldn't swear to it.

The narrator is Nigel Planer, and it is unabridged.

I haven't had as much time to listen as I'd like, but am really enjoying it so far. Doesn't feel like I'm "jumping in" in the middle of a series at all. I'm sure there is some interesting background on death's daughter in previous books, but not knowing that doesnt seem to be hurting the story at all.

12/10/2007 Update: I finished Mort! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading my next Discworld novel. Never would have even picked one up if it weren't for what I read here.

Intersesting note...what do you think of the difference between the U.S. and the U.K. covers???

If you're completely new to Pratchett, well, all I can say is - what fun you have coming your way! There's an excellent guide to possible reading orders HERE - start at any odf the golden-coloured squares - they all start "mini-series" within the Discworld as a whole. Start with ANY of those, except, perhaps, The Colour of Magic, as in my opinion, the very first two books in the Discworld series are the weakest (just my opinion, but I really do feel they're not a patch on the later books!).

I'd highly recommend starting with either Mort or Guards! Guards! as both are excellent and introduce some of the best-loved Discworld characters - Death and the City Wacth respectively.

After that, follow the thread you've chosen till you reach the end, then choose another to follow.

The most recent novel on the guide is A Hat Full of Sky, so the very latest one, Making Money isn't on there yet, but that one should be read after Going Postal.

And now, I shall sit back and let you immerse youself in the Discworld - you may be gone some time!

Thanks for the link - been thinking of trying one of these books after buying my daughter A hat full of sky last christmas (and having a sneaky peek!) unfortunatly the book has dissappeared under the huge pile of washing she calls her bedroom floor and I am NOT searching through that lot for any body :):(;)

Now I have an idea where to start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you check out THIS article and follow the link at the end, it'll take you to a very handy guide as to which order you can read them in so as not to come into things in the m,iddle. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I didn't see the news, but wish I had. I love Terry's books and have the highest admiration for the man. When he does stop writing, it will be a very sad loss to the whole world - his books are marvellous.

I didn't see the news either, but would have like to. There was an interview with him in the Daily Mirror yesterday though.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Kell said.

I once read a book of his and enjoyed then I gor another one which i didn't enjoy. So can anyone tell what would be the best way to start reading his books. Are there different series is so where sould I start again please?

Heather

• 8 months later...