Terry Pratchett

Michelle

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Colour of Magic isn't one of the better ones, I'll agree. He gets a lot better further in & then gets tremendously good later on again. His most recent ones have been genius (in my opinion). he just keeps getting better & better. But the first few aren't my faves - not by a long shot.

• 1 month later...

Pratchett news:

Terry is in the final stages of finishing off Wintersmith (the third Tiffany Aching book) and has as a present to himself started writing the next Discworld novel. Previously we understood this would be a story about football called Unseen Academicals but it turns out that it is now in fact a new Moist Von Lipwig story called Making Money.

(taken from the Pratchett Monthly newsletter 25 January 2006)

• 1 month later...

Would anyone fancy divulging their favourite Pratchett book &/or character? Why do you like that one so much? What makes it special to you? Which one would you most like to see made into a film/TV programme.

And here's a biggie - who would you like to see cast as your favourite character in a live-action version?

Has anyone ever seen any of the iscworld stage productions?

Ooh, lots of questions there - LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, HF's a good one. It helps if you've read the otehr Death books (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music) but it pretty much stands alone. ust so long as you nkow thsat Susan is Death's Granddaughter (from his adopted daughter, Isobel, who married his apprentice, Mort), & that there's a Death of Rats who's a part of Death himself but manages to function as a separate entity, & that Death's a little loopy at times (he's been infected with Humanity), you'll do fine. That's all the major back story you really need without telling you anything about HF at all. Enjoyy! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Pratchett news:

Terry is in the final stages of finishing off Wintersmith (the third Tiffany Aching book) and has as a present to himself started writing the next Discworld novel. Previously we understood this would be a story about football called Unseen Academicals but it turns out that it is now in fact a new Moist Von Lipwig story called Making Money.

(taken from the Pratchett Monthly newsletter 25 January 2006)

Here's the synopsis off of Amazon ~

Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch - now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance - the crossover from summer to winter - she does what none has ever done before and leaps into the dance, into the oldest story there ever is, and draws the attention of the wintersmith himself...As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the land, can Tiffany deal with the consequences of her actions? Even with the help of Granny Weatherwax and the Nac Mac Feegle - the fightin', thievin' pictsies who are prepared to lay down their lives for their 'big wee hag' ...

My other half can't wait till Sept 28th (or there abouts :wink: )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Funnily enough, the 1st 2 Discworld books are my least favourite (followed by Eric). I love the Death ones, but I have to say that the City Watch books are by far the best. Closely followed by the Witches ones - ooh, they're good for a giggle.

I agree with quite a lot of this, Kell. My first taste of Pratchett was an extract from Mort given away free with SFX (sci-fi) magazine. I loved it so much I went straight out and bought the book. I knew I would love Pratchett when I read the line about someone "eating a meat pie with no thought for personal safety" (not exact, but you get the idea!) I then decided I'd better read them in order, but I didn't really enjoy the first two as much as Mort.

My favourites are generally the City Watch ones. I love Vimes, and especially the exchanges he has with Vetinari - I adore Vimes' polite insolence which Vetinari lets him get away with because he admires him.

Whilst I like the character of Death, I find the books where he is centre stage the least enjoyable - I'm not quite sure why. :?

Whenever anyone asks me about my favourite books, I never think of the Witches books, but actually the double act of Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax is hilarious (Magrat is slightly too annoying though).

Anyway, my absolute favourite at the moment is Going Postal. Now I think I've wittered on enough for one post! :D

My first taste of Pratchett was an extract from Mort given away free with SFX (sci-fi) magazine. I loved it so much I went straight out and bought the book. I then decided I'd better read them in order, but I didn't really enjoy the first two as much as Mort.

Mort was also my introduction, and I also preferred it to the next two.

I should pick up more, but I've side-tracked by so many other authors!

I know what you mean about Magrat. I agree completely with Granny Weatherwax when she says magrat is a "wet hen" - LOL! It's been so long since the Witches had a real story that I fear Terry's forgotten them. Perhaps he'll bring them back into something in the near future - I'd like to see how they've progressed. The only character I think I'm not all that bothered about seeing more of is, sadly, Rincewind, which is odd, because I do like his character a lot, it's just there's only so much of his running away I can handle - LOL!

Have you read Thud! yet?

The only character I think I'm not all that bothered about seeing more of is, sadly, Rincewind, which is odd, because I do like his character a lot, it's just there's only so much of his running away I can handle - LOL!

Have you read Thud! yet?

About Rincewind - exactly! It's funny the first 100 times, but after that...

I haven't read Thud because I always wait for the paperbacks, but it sounds very good.

I have read most, not all though, of Pratchett's books and enjoyed them all. He is a great writer and I never get tired of his work. Like some other members, I really liked "Going Postal", the "City Watch" books, and the "Witches". Don't overlook the Witches as they are great.

I once heard a story about a theif breaking into a book shop. They didn't steal anything except 2 copies of each of Terry Pratchett's books. Not one, but TWO complete sets. The way Terry tells it, he takes it as a huge compliment - LOL!

Pratchetts one of my all time favourite author's I've had the pleasure of going to a book signing of his once he's a wonderful man.

At the signing a argument broke out over which of his books was better it was between two university students and it ended up in a bit of a tussle at this point Terry actually popped his head round the door way and said well actually I prefer "X" book (sorry can't remember which off the top of my head)

I think the only book of his I've not liked is Small God's something about it just puts me off. I've just started reading the Tiffany Aching books I'm loving them so far the nac mac feegle are very funny I look forward to the next one with Granny Weatherwax in it as the Witches are a fav of mine Nanny Og in particular :D

• 3 weeks later...

Terry Pratchett keeps getting better!! i like more of his up to date stuff and it seems like he has more focus on the watchmen books. My 2 fave characters are Vimes and granny Weatherwax. these two for me just seem like he's put a lot of effort into them, however he continues to develop vimes and i'd like to see granny weatherwax go along for the ride too. i have a feeling mr Pratchett may have found a favourite in vimes also. i wonder how much of Vimes is actually the way Pratchett thinks? He'd be a really interesting author to meet, i'd love to ask him that question.

Thinking I should give Pratchett a try considering how much everyone here (and in the whole rest of the world) seems to rate him. My Dad has a pile of Pratchett's that stands about 3 foot tall (and that's only the paperbacks!) and I'm sure he'd lend me them. Question is though, where to start?

I rate the guards series so i'd say start with guards guards.

I think his first book was the colour of magic but i'm personally not as loved up with the characters in this. Don't get me wrong it's not that i dislike them. Just a preference.