Lost Mojo Support Group

Guest ii

I have noticed I follow a pattern when I read. Ghost stories/ fantasy in winter, going towards chick lit/ fluffy romance in spring, on my summer holiday I read something chunky and intellectual, and detective/mystery in autumn. Maybe you are reading the wrong kind of books? Or maybe I'm the only strange one.

Edited by SaraPepparkaka
spelling..

No mojo for BookJumper... uni, work, health, life have made me into a very stressed person with no attention span - which, as you can imagine, is not conducive to reading mojo. I'm currently reading snippets from several really good books but I can't seem to give any of them the attention they deserve. Meh.

No mojo for BookJumper... uni, work, health, life have made me into a very stressed person with no attention span - which, as you can imagine, is not conducive to reading mojo. I'm currently reading snippets from several really good books but I can't seem to give any of them the attention they deserve. Meh.

You wrote everything I wanted to. I'm glad, because I'm feeling lazy. :)

Not only have I lost my mojo, but I am increasingly nervous of all the books I still want to read. That ever growing list is even more distressing, because where on earth will I find the time, the energy, the peace and quiet.... *falls apart*... I need a cookie, now... :irked:

You wrote everything I wanted to. I'm glad, because I'm feeling lazy. :)

Not only have I lost my mojo, but I am increasingly nervous of all the books I still want to read. That ever growing list is even more distressing, because where on earth will I find the time, the energy, the peace and quiet.... *falls apart*... I need a cookie, now... :irked:

... so did you (say everything I wanted to): I've recently aquired a beautiful thing called "A Book Lover's Diary" which I'm using to write down titles of books I want to read (a lot of them discovered on this very forum), and it's pages and pages of lists already, which makes me feel guilty because thinking of reading other books when I'm leaving so many half-consumed is like objectifying the books I'm supposed to already have made a committment towards, betraying them for greener-looking reading pastures...

I need a cookie, don't I?

My mojo upped and left just after Christmas, I have loads of books I wanted to read but just couldn't be bothered, I could walk in book shops and walk out again without even picking up a book to read the blurb on the back! so I decided to give reading a complete break, I was over tired and stressed which didn't help. After a few weeks I started going to bed an hour earlier and reading just a chapter at a time then slowly my mojo started to return. It's still not fully back but it does feel better knowing that I'm reading a bit a day :irked:

I need to join the support group :) I lost my mojo about a month ago... I actually need to force myself to read! In order to finish a book once in a while, I am making myself read at least a chapter every day... it's horrible isn't it? I am forcing myself to read! Help!!!

I've brought coffee for the group! May I have a cookie? :irked:

I'm currently experiencing semi-mojo-loss. I have so little free time to do what I want as it is and when faced with a choice of reading or cross stitching, right now I'd rather cross stitch, as I can watch TV and chat to Dale while I do that, whereas I can't read while I do that or I'll lose all concentration. I AM enjoying what I'm reading when I read (Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Yes Man), but I'm only really reading in the bath (my last one till next Sunday will be this morning as Dale goes back to work tomorrow) and when I'm settling Xander at night, but as he's settling a lot more easily and quickly these days, that time is nbow seriously cut down...

I'm suffering from some major mojo loss. This isn't just affecting my recreational reading, but also school. I can't be bothered to do much of anything, and I'm finding myself not only bored with the books I do try to read, but almost unable to start any others. I did just order a few books from Amazon that I've been wanting, so hopefully that will kick start my mojo.

I've got that sometimes. I think it usually is because I have studying to do, so I won't allow myself to do other reading. But then I can't be bothered to do my Uni stuff and I get a bit frustrated. Then on the other hand I can read and really enjoy a book but won't pick up a new one for weeks or months.

Just read Twilight again and went through it veeery quick. Now I would love to go on with the others but can't because I've got 2 essays to write, one on a play I absolutely do not like :irked:

Hello, my name is Mac, and I'm a recovering mojo loser. The last time I lost my mojo was in January this year *waits for applause*.

Some of you guys have been suggesting the short story thing. Great idea. It's a very frustrating thing, losing one's mojo, is it not? When you love being drawn into another soul's thoughts and images, their mind and their emotions and then suddenly bang it all stops and nothing seems to work.

I'm quite lucky in that I don't have an ariel to my television (through choice), so I don't watch the boob tube. I watch DVD's as and when I want. I used to find that I'd turn anything on and sit there watching a load of c**p until I became so brain dead I'd have to sleep. No time for reading! D'oh! :)

I got back into reading this time by picking up a Lee Child novel, so I, too, am looking forward to his new one coming out. Whoopee! :irked:

It's a very frustrating thing, losing one's mojo, is it not? When you love being drawn into another soul's thoughts and images, their mind and their emotions and then suddenly bang it all stops and nothing seems to work.

I couldn't agree with this more. I'm certainly struggling with the reading this year. I've only read 9 this year so far and feel I haven't been connecting to books and characters as I was last year and even though I've really enjoyed some of the books there seems something missing. :o

I got back into reading this time by picking up a Lee Child novel, so I, too, am looking forward to his new one coming out. Whoopee! :)

I've read a few of Lee Child's books and really used to get into them, but for some reason the last one I read, 'Die Trying' I found was not reeling me in and there was only one part of the book that really gripped my attention. I have a 3 left on my TBR pile, but I am a bit scared :irked: to jump in again. They are:

One Shot

Without Fail

The Visitor

Are these some of his better, worse, or pretty standard thrillers/adventures?

Hi Loo. Without Fail I remember being a good one. The Visitor too. One Shot I enjoyed less, but this may have something to do with my mood at the time and I'd just finished another 'does-what-it-says-on-the-tin' thriller, so was perhaps a little weary of the genre.

I really think it's about my attitude when it comes to thrillers. If I go 'Okay, fella. Let's switch off the brain and enjoy the ride', I'll lean towards loving them. If I'm feeling all poncey and intellectual, I'll get bored very quickly. I even bore myself when I'm in those moods, though.

Have you tried Harlan Coben (I'm always banging on about this guy - I'm so dull!)

:irked:

Oh, I should've discovered this thread a while ago. I lost my mojo for a brief period of time. Brief is an understatement though, it was for a couple of months, ever since I finished reading Breaking Dawn and Inkdeath. I guessed it was because I got tired of reading Happily Ever After Endings and didn't wanna have to read more.

I got my mojo back though by reading 5 People you Meet in heaven and The Boy In Striped Pyjamas. No happily ever after endings in both books so it was all good. :irked:

I really think it's about my attitude when it comes to thrillers. If I go 'Okay, fella. Let's switch off the brain and enjoy the ride', I'll lean towards loving them. If I'm feeling all poncey and intellectual, I'll get bored very quickly. I even bore myself when I'm in those moods, though.

Hehe!:) I wonder about this too, but I don't think I can classify myself as being in those moods very often.

Have you tried Harlan Coben (I'm always banging on about this guy - I'm so dull!)

:irked:

Yes I read the 7th in the Myron Bolitar, 'Darkest Fear' book and that got me hooked and I then read the first couple of the Myron Bolitar series and I've quite got into those although the Jessica and Myron thing tended to annoy me a bit! I've also read Tell No One and Just One look with almost all his others on my TBR. Join the dull club!:o

Yes, apparentaley losing the mojo is a normal thing. Phew!!

My only two recommendations:

A. Start reading the book you have been waiting for, for ages, by your favorite author, which took forever to come out.

B. Failing that, try short stories.

I found a bit of a cure for my lost mojo last night. (no, Roxi, nothing naughty! Although, reading something naughty could work...) For me it's important what a book looks like, and I've been reading (or trying to read) a lot of unimpressive, sort of blah-looking paperbacks lately. So I went for one of the older pretty ones, you know, leather-bound and all. It was actually aesthetically pleasing to pick up the book and read it. I don't know, shallow of me, to think how wonderful it looks like to read such a book, but I managed to read through several chapters, short ones, but still...