Pip's Reads...

pipread

I'm glad you liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society :D I read this a couple of months ago and I thought it was amazing. And just like you I'll definitely reread it again someday, I'd like to even buy it for myself :haha:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Frankie, I thought it was an amazing story too, the characters were so real, I was begining to feel I`d met them myself! I think it`s made me want a trip to Guernsey, I want to see if there are people like Dawsey, Eben, Isola and the others, living there, such wonderful, warm people.

I think I may well buy it for my collection too, I`ve all ready started singing its praises to people. :haha:

You've got me intrigued now! Every time I visit your thread, Pip, I always like the look of the books. Thanks :haha:

You think pipread would make a great career being a bookseller or librarian? :D

Pipread, you're absolutely right about the characters feeling so real, like we'd met them. Like you said, such wonderful, warm people!

This sounds like the sort of book I'd like from your review...I think I shall add it to my wishlist

Well done! :haha:

You think pipread would make a great career being a bookseller or librarian? :D

I`d love a little book shop..........No harm in dreaming! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Bodies Left Behind ~ Jeffery Deaver

Synopsis

A spring night in a small town.......A call to police emergency from a distant lake house is cut short. A phone glitch or an aborted report of crime? Off-duty deputy Brynn leaves her family`s dinner table and drives up to deserted Lake Mondac to find out. She stumbles onto the scene of a heinous murder.... Before she can call for backup though, she finds herself the next potential victim. Deprived of her phone, weapon and car, Brynn and an unlikely ally.....a survivor of the carnage.....can survive only by fleeing into the dense, deserted woods, on a desperate trek to safety and ultimately to the choice to fight back. The professional criminals, also strangers to this hostile setting, must forge a tense alliance too, in order to find and kill the two witnesses to the crime. (from Waterstones)

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book. I found it a gripping, fast paced story.

It was a game of cat and mouse, of bluff and counter bluff. There were plenty of twists in the story, and a few surprises too, which one expects from a Jeffery Deaver book of course.

I must admit, I found it hard to believe that the chase through the woods, in the middle of the night, could have happened the way it did in the story. I`m sure it would have been pitch black and impossible to see - but, that didn`t spoil the story for me at all.

All in all a very good read. 8/10

Copycat ~ Erica Spindler

Synopsis (from the cover)

Five years ago, three little girls were murdered in their beds, posed like sleeping angels by a twisted killer.

With no witnesses and no clues, Detective Kitt Lundgren was forced to look on helplessly - taunted by a psychopath proud of his "perfect crimes".

Now the Sleeping Angel Killer is back.

Traumatised by the original murders and viewed by colleagues as a washed-up has-been, Lundgren is overlooked for the case. But only she notices that there`s something different about this new rash of killings - a tiny variation that opens terrifying new possibilities......

My Thoughts

I recieved this book in the World Book Day Book Swap, I hadn`t even heard of Erica Spindler before that. Now I will definately be looking out for more of her books - I really enjoyed Copycat, and would go as far as saying it`s the best book, of this genre, that I`ve read for a long time, (and I`ve recently read 2 books by Jeffery Deaver!!)

The story was a real page turner from the start, the plot was good and the characters well written. I couldn`t wait to finish the story, I desperately wanted to find out what was going to happen, and yet I was sorry when I finished the book and wished I hadn`t been in such a rush!

I`d highly recommend this book to anyone who likes this genre and I`m very grateful that Claire introduced me to this author.

9/10

Copycat does sound good! I need to stop visiting your thread, it's costing me too much money. :welcomebcf:

Lol. It really is good though and worth the expense! (I`ll send you my copy if you like - just let me know)

I promised myself not to buy any more books until I`d read a few of the ones I`ve all ready got. Then this morning I ordered The Dexter Omnibus, because I keep reading good things about Dexter on here! :D

No Time For Goodbye ~ Linwood Barclay

Synopsis (from the back of the book)

The house was silent, no sound of her parents getting ready for work, or her brother late for school. Were they punishing her for last night? She`d been out on a date when she should have been studying, and had a huge fight with her father. So where was everyone now? Why had her family disappeared?

25 years later the mystery is no nearer to being solved and Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? Abducted? If so why was she spared? And if they`re alive, why did they abandon her?

My Thoughts

14 year old Cynthia was out on a date and got rather drunk, her father found her with an older boy and dragged her home, she was furious, said some horrible things in the heat of the moment, then went to bed.

The next morning, Cynthia woke and was expecting to face the music! but the house was empty - no family - no note - nothing. Her family had disappeared without a trace.

This book was recommended and loaned to me by a friend, and after reading the back of the book I was expecting a really good story.

It started off well and for about the first quarter of the book I was enjoying it. Unfortunately that`s as far as my enjoyment went. I suddenly lost interest, I didn`t care enough about the characters. I tried to continue with the book but really struggled, I did want to know how it ended though, so I "skimmed" through to the end, just to find out.

I don`t know why my interest in the book suddenly went, I have heard/read, some really good reviews of this book, which makes me wonder if it was something to do with me personally, rather than the book? I don`t know the answer. I was disappointed because I`d expected to enjoy it, will I try another Linwood Barclay book? Maybe one day.

5/10

I've been meaning to get No Time For Goodbye for some time - I haven't read your review above as sometimes I prefer to read the books before checking out the reviews, but I most certainly see that you've only rated it 5/10 - I can now see this sliding down my wishlist if not off it. :irked:

Things I Want My Daughters to Know ~ Elizabeth Noble

How would you say goodbye to those you love most in the world?

Barbara must say a final farewell to her four daughters. But how can she find the words? And how can she leave them when they each have so much growing up to do?..........

Barbara`s answer is to write each daughter a letter, finally expressing the hopes, fears, dreams and secrets she couldn`t always voice. These words will touch the girls in different - sometimes shocking - ways, unlocking emotions and passions to set them on their journey of discovery through life.

My Thoughts

This book was an easy read, quite emotional at times, particularly the first few pages and the last few pages too. The characters were all likeable, I couldn`t help but care what happened to them, and I was keen to find out, so it was hard at times to put the book down.

I did find myself wondering what I`d have done in Barbara`s situation, I haven`t got four daughters, but I do have two sons and one daughter, and as a mum I constantly worry about them, even when there`s nothing to worry about!

I enjoyed this book, it wasn`t one I`d have normally read, but I`d read good reports on here, so I decided to give it a go, I`m glad that I did.

8.5/10

Edited by pipread

The Pearl ~ John Steinbeck

The Pearl is an old Mexican folk story recounted by Steinbeck, about a poor fisherman Kino, his wife Juana and their baby Coyotito.

They have nothing, apart from the hut they live in and a canoe passed down from Kino`s grandfather, which he uses to fish and look for pearls.

Despite their poverty they are happy, they have all they need.

One day Kino finds a pearl, large and perfect and he dreams of what this means for him and his family, new clothes, marriage and schooling for his son.....

The Pearl is a short story, parable even, that tells how money can change people, and I`m sure everyone who reads it will read different things into the story. I enjoyed this novel, it was easy reading but thought provoking too.

I`d forgotten how much I like Steinbeck`s style of writing and must read/re-read more of his books.

10/10

Things I Want My Daughters to Know ~ Elizabeth Noble

I have this on my TBR shelf. A friend loaned it to me. Like yourself, its not the usual type of thing I go for, it seems to be a real weepy and usually I'd far rather have a good murder! I do intend to read it though, again after all the good reports on here :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
The Pearl ~ John Steinbeck

The Pearl is an old Mexican folk story recounted by Steinbeck, about a poor fisherman Kino, his wife Juana and their baby Coyotito.

They have nothing, apart from the hut they live in and a canoe passed down from Kino`s grandfather, which he uses to fish and look for pearls.

Despite their poverty they are happy, they have all they need.

One day Kino finds a pearl, large and perfect and he dreams of what this means for him and his family, new clothes, marriage and schooling for his son.....

The Pearl is a short story, parable even, that tells how money can change people, and I`m sure everyone who reads it will read different things into the story. I enjoyed this novel, it was easy reading but thought provoking too.

I`d forgotten how much I like Steinbeck`s style of writing and must read/re-read more of his books.

10/10

We had this for school, and I remember reading the chapters at home so see what will happen, as obviously we used to cover it at a slower pace in class.

We had this for school, and I remember reading the chapters at home so see what will happen, as obviously we used to cover it at a slower pace in class.

I would have found it hard not to read it at my own pace, so I`d have taken it home to read as well! :)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

A blood splatter analyst who also murders "bad people" for a hobby, and he doesn`t like blood - that`s Dexter Morgan.

This was a light hearted, easy read that was very entertaining.

highly recommended

9/10

I enjoyed it so much, I carried straight on and read.................

Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dexter`s getting a bit twitchy, he hasn`t killed for ages, he`s being watched by a suspicious police sergeant, (Doakes) who won`t let Dexter out of his sight!

Then a badly mutilated, barely alive body turns up, and Dexter has to work with Sgt. Doakes to trap the torturer, one will have to be the bait -but can they trust each other enough for it to work?

Another light hearted easy read, a bit of a black comedy really. Once again thoroughly enjoyed it and found it hard to put down at times.

highly recommended!

9/10

I`m looking forward to reading Dexter in the Dark soon!