Pip's Reads...

pipread

I personally don`t think they`re that gory, it doesn`t really go into great, gory detail but, there are parts that made me think eugh!

They are quite humourous, with some good one liners from Dexter! :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad you're enjoying Dexter! :motz: Phew! Aren't his oneliners brilliant? I found myself laughing outloud on a regular basis! :motz:

I dont know if you've seen it or not but the way the torturer left the victims in Dearly Devoted Dexter, completely immobile and going slowly mad, reminded me somewhat of one of the victims in the film Se7en, the poor guy on the bed :) I'll never forget when Dexter thought the first victim was a whining dog!

I've never read anything like this series before and I love it! If you want to go straight into Dexter in the Dark you go right ahead, it could be a couple of weeks before I start it.

Dexter`s humour is great - I loved the bit when he said to Dr Danco, " I think you have him stumped " :motz:

I couldn`t help but laugh out loud at times, my family think I`m loosing my marbles! I`m so glad I bought the book - that`s the best thing about this forum, so many ideas for good reading materials, that I wouldn`t have found otherwise.

I`m going to read After Dark next, (read good things about it on here!) then it will be back to Dexter, maybe around the same time as you, or later if I make myself get stuck into Hunchie, which I`m struggling with!

Hunchie........?.Dexter..........?:)

Dexter`s humour is great - I loved the bit when he said to Dr Danco, " I think you have him stumped " :motz:

I'm sure the Finnish translation was adequite enough but heck, I don't remember that!! I'm glad I have the three latest Dexters in English now, I've read Dexter in Finnish before. I've got the first Dexter in Finnish which annoys me endlessly :motz:

I'm really glad you're enjoying Dexter though :)

I'm sure the Finnish translation was adequite enough but heck, I don't remember that!! I'm glad I have the three latest Dexters in English now, I've read Dexter in Finnish before. I've got the first Dexter in Finnish which annoys me endlessly :motz:

I'm really glad you're enjoying Dexter though :)

I can`t imagine reading Dexter in 2 languages, you`re so lucky (& clever too!)

I can`t remember ever being quite so entertained by a book before - I absolutely love Dexter. :motz: I`m so glad he was introduced to me. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

Synopsis (Amazon)

The midnight hour approaches in an almost empty all-night diner. Mari sips her coffee and glances up from a book as a young man, a musician intrudes on her solitude. Both have missed the last train home. The musician has plans to rehearse with his jazz band all night, Mari is equally unconcerned and content to read, smoke and drink coffee until dawn. They realise they`ve been acquainted through Eri, Mari`s beautiful sister. The musician soon leaves with a promise to return before dawn. Shortly afterwards Mari will be interrupted a second time by a girl from the Alphaville Hotel: a chinese prostitute has been hurt by a client, the girl has heard Mari speaks fluent chinese and requests her help. Meanwhile Eri is at home and sleeps a deep, heavy sleep that is "too perfect, too pure" to be normal: pulse and respiration at the lowest required level. She has been in this soporific state for two months. Eri has become the classic myth - a sleeping beauty. But tonight as the digital clock displays, 00.00 a faint electrical crackle is perceptible, a hint of life flickers across the TV screen, though the televisions plug has been pulled.

Strange nocturnal happenings or tricks of the night?

My Thoughts

This was the first book I`ve read by this author (as a result of reading good reviews on the forum) but it will definately not be the last, I really enjoyed it.

I found it an easy book to read, I became absorbed by it. The language flowed beautifully. The characters were brought to life, and the events, even simple mundane things were captured brilliantly.

I recommend it. 9/10

• 4 weeks later...

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame ~ Victor Hugo

In a brilliant reworking of the tale of Beauty and the Beast, Hugo creates a host of unforgettable characters - amongst them, Quasimodo, the hunchback of the title, hopelessly in love with the gypsy girl Esmeralda, the satanic priest Claude Frollo, Clopin Trouillefou, king of the beggars, and Louis X1, King of France. Over the entire novel, both literally and symbolically broods the Cathedral of Notre- Dame.

My Thoughts

So much waffle about architecture nearly made me give up through boredom, but I struggled on and skimmed some parts, and soon I found myself enjoying it. The characters were so strong and I found myself caring for them and their situation. Hugos descriptions were so detailed and clear you could almost see it.

Definately not an easy read but I`m very glad I persevered.

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

This was the first book I`ve read by this author (as a result of reading good reviews on the forum) but it will definately not be the last, I really enjoyed it.

I found it an easy book to read, I became absorbed by it. The language flowed beautifully. The characters were brought to life, and the events, even simple mundane things were captured brilliantly.

I recommend it. 9/10

See! I don't know anyone who doesn't like Murakami. The guy's a genius! I'm really pleased you liked it, Pip. :)

Dexter in the Dark ~ Jeff Lindsay

The third book in the Dexter series, light hearted and an easy read. I enjoyed this book as I have the previous two, but having said that, I didn`t enjoy this one quite as much as the others, however it was highly readable all the same. Dexter is such a great character you can`t help but love him even if he is a serial killer!

I`m looking forward to reading the next book in the series soon. :)

See! I don't know anyone who doesn't like Murakami. The guy's a genius! I'm really pleased you liked it, Pip. :)

Thanks, I look forward to reading more of his work, just trying to clear some of the backlog first. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodthirsty ~ Marshall Karp

Synopsis

No matter how popular you are, there`s always someone who`d be happier if you were dead.

Barry Gerber, hot-shot producer and one of the most hated men in Hollywood, is a no-show for a red carpet event. The next morning he turns up dead, killed in such a bizarre way that neither Detectives Mike Lomax nor Terry Biggs has ever seen anything like it before. Two days later, the prime suspect - another show business bad boy - is found murdered in the same sadistic manner.

The list of suspects then becomes as long as the credits in a summer blockbuster. Everyone hated the murdered men. Biggs jokes that it could be an elaborate public service effort to make Hollywood a better place to live and work. But as they try to uncover who will be the next victim, they stumble upon a motive that is far more primal than they had ever imagined.

My Thoughts

Having enjoyed Marshall Karps debut novel The Rabbit Factory, I was looking forward to finding out what was in store for Detectives Mike Lomax and Terry Biggs in Bloodthirsty.

Once again Karp has produced an easy to read, undemanding book. There are plenty of one-liners to keep you amused, (even when in the morgue!)

In this book, Marshall Karp looks at some of the more unsavoury aspects of Hollywood and what some people are prepared to do to get a foot in the door of the movie industry.

The detectives in this book aren`t painted as anything other than normal, hardworking and concientious men. I really like the fact that they are so normal.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one by this author.

• 1 month later...

Cause for Alarm ~ Erica Spindler

Nineteen-year-old Julianna Starr has chosen Kate and Richard to be more than the parents of her child. Julianna knows that Richard is the man of her fantasies, the one she`s been waiting for.

As tormented Julianna begins to mould herself in Kate`s image, she insinuates herself into Richard`s life, determined to tear their perfect marriage apart and have Richard for herself.

But for Kate and Richard, the nightmare has only begun. Because Julianna is not alone. From her dark past comes a man of unspeakable evil.......

My Thoughts

Having read Copycat by this author I anticipated a good read - and I wasn`t to be disappointed!

This book had everything you could want from a thriller. Erica certainly draws you in and keeps you there, with characters that are so well written you`re there with them every step of the way. She`s built an exciting plot with love, betrayal and a seriously cold-hearted killer.

I found it impossible not to feel for the two central female characters, whose lives were so different, but become so entangled.

A really good story.

I look forward to reading more from this author. :)

9/10

Edited by pipread

Dexter by Design ~ Jeff Lindsay

Synopsis

Dexter Morgan is back.

After his surprisingly glorious honeymoon in Paris, life is almost normal for Dexter Morgan. Married life seems to agree with him: he`s devoted to his bride, his stomach is full, and his homicidal hobbies seem nicely under control.

But old habits die hard - and Dexter`s work as a blood splatter analyst never fails to offer new temptations that appeal to his offbeat sense of justice.......and his Dark Passenger still waits to hunt with him in the moonlight.

Luckily for Dex, there`s someone out there with particularly twisted tastes. Dexter may never have been a big fan of art - but the discovery of a corpse (artfully displayed as a sunbather relaxing on a beach chair)naturally piques his curiosity. Miami`s finest soon realise they`ve got a terrifying new serial killer on the loose. And Dexter, of course, is back in business.

Thoughts

Having been a little disappointed with the previous book, Dexter in the Dark, I looked forward to reading this - with my fingers crossed (the first two books had been so much better, in my opinion.)

Jeff Lindsay didn`t disappoint this time, Dexter by Design was good from the start.

There was plenty of wit and excellent one liners from Dexter and some parts had me laughing out loud.

Dexter by Design is entertaining, it has a gripping plot and was a brilliant read from the first line. :D

Of course, the really lovely thought is, that there`s the potential for so many more wonderful Dexter books from Jeff Lindsay! :D

10/10

Last Known Victim ~ Erica Spindler

For police captain Patti O`Shay, the discovery of a dead body is shocking, but part of the job.

A dead body with the right hand severed is disturbing.

But when a corpse is discovered with the police badge of her murdered husband, she is pushed over the edge.

Driven by revenge, and working outside the law, Patti vows to track the monster responsible. But as the killings continue, it becomes clear that she is not the hunter - but the hunted.

Thoughts

Last Known Victim, is set in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina.

During the clean up operation, police captain Patti O`Shays husband is found murdered. His murder went unsolved.

Two years later a young womans body is found in a shallow grave, under the body is the police badge of Patti`s murdered husband.

Patti is driven to solve the murder enquiry and find her husbands killer.

I was quickly absorbed in this fast paced story. The characters, as I have come to expect from Erica Spindler, were well written and believable. I really felt for Patti, mourning the loss of her husband but unable to find closure as the case is unsolved.

Last Known Victim was possibly in my opinion, not quite as good as, Copycat and Cause for Alarm, but it was still a very good and enjoyable read.

8/10

Hey pipread!

Great reviews! Nice to read that you enjoyed Dexter again :D I agree this installment was indeed better than the third. Looking forward to the next one!

Last Known Victim sounds great, I'll add that to my wishlist. I think I may have seen that in Tescos the other day too :lol:

Thanks Charm, I`m looking forward to the next installment of Dexter too, shame it`s such a long wait but I`m sure it`ll be worth the wait. :lol:

I`m loving Erica Spindler, must look out for more of her books, you must read Copycat if you haven`t yet, it`s brilliant, and Last Known Victim is well worth reading to :D

The Book of Lost Things ~ John Connolly

"Everything you can imagine is real"

High in his attic bedroom, twelve year old David mourns the loss of his mother. He is angry and he is alone, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness, and as he takes refuge in the myths and fairytales so beloved of his dead mother he finds that the real world and the fantasy world have begun to meld...................

Thoughts

This is the first John Connolly book that I`ve read, I`d read some good reports of it and was looking forward it.

I found the book incredibly good, the story flowed and was well written. What an imagination John Connolly has, the story was riveting from the start and I found it easy to lose myself in it.

It is the story of 12year old David, whose mother has died and war is beginning. David finds it hard to adjust to life without his mother and things get worse when his father remarries. They move into his stepmothers house and a new baby boy is born to the couple. David feels left out, angry and jealous, he escapes into a world of books.

David soon finds himself in a fantasy land, a mix of twisted fairytales and horror.

I really enjoyed this book and definately recommend it. 10/10