Pip's Reads...

pipread

Tell No One ~ Harlan Coben

Synopsis

Every year Elizabeth and David Beck return to Lake Charmaine, a place that has been a part of their lives ever since they were children. But on their thirteenth visit, Elizabeth is kidnapped and murdered, while David is left for dead.

For the next eight years, Dr. David Beck relives the horror of what happened every day of his life. Although Elizabeth has been buried, and her killer waits on death row, for David, it still feels as if more than one life ended on that night.

Then an image of Elizabeth appears on his computer screen, brutally ripping open old wounds. Is it just a practical joke? Or evidence that somehow Elizabeth is still alive? ............

Thoughts

I`d only read a couple of Harlan Coben books before and they were both Myron Bolitar novels, they were pretty good stories but, Tell No One, a stand alone thriller was fantastic!

From the first page this story was an exciting page turner, that frequently left me on the edge of my seat, or waiting with baited breath to see what was coming next.

The story flows, but is full of twists and turns that keep you guessing right to the end. The characters are well written and I felt as though I was there with them, especially David Beck, whose life becomes a real rollercoaster.

I have read some good books in this genre recently but I think this has been the best and the most exciting of them. I don`t know if this was a typical Coben stand alone novel, but I`m really looking forward to reading more from him so I can find out.

If you enjoy a good thriller I`d definately recommend this book. :)

10/10

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I seem to stop coming in here :roll: but from September to December I have also enjoyed..............

Mudbound - Hillary Jordan 9/10

Dying Light - Stuart MacBride 8/10

Cold Granite - Stuart MacBride 8/10

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens. 9/10

There were other books that I started but gave up on, maybe I`ll return to them another time. :lol:

Hi Charm, I decided I need to make more of an effort so here I am! ;)The mojo is iffy at the mo, my Dad died suddenly on monday morning - I`m ok but having trouble settling to much.

Funnily enough Sunday night I started to read Gone For Good - Harlan Coben! :blush:

I really enjoyed the two Stuart MacBrides I read, when I get back to normal (whatever that is!) I will be reading more of him definately, I owe you for introducing me to him. :D

I hope your still going strong on the reading front? :lol:

Hi Charm, I decided I need to make more of an effort so here I am! ;)The mojo is iffy at the mo, my Dad died suddenly on monday morning -

Oh my goodness pip, that is awful news, I am so so sorry to hear this! :D:friends0: It must have been such a shock.

I think you're doing the very thing needed. It always helps to keep company around you, even if it is only online, and you know you will get lots of love and support on here. I really do hope you're holding up ok *huge :blush:* You and your family will be in my thoughts xo

Thanks Charm, I`m fine now I`ve got over the shock! :lol:

I'm sure it was one hell of a shock at that. Glad you're holding up ok hun :D If you ever need to listen to some useless babble to take your mind of things, just pop on to my profile or pm, doors always open :blush:

I'm sure it was one hell of a shock at that. Glad you're holding up ok hun :lol: If you ever need to listen to some useless babble to take your mind of things, just pop on to my profile or pm, doors always open :)

Bless you :D There are so many lovely people here. :blush:

Amazingly I have finished my third book of 2010 :D

So far this year I have read........

The Girl Next Door ~ Elizabeth Noble (7/10 an ok easy read)

Gone For Good ~ Harlan Coben ( 8/10 a good thriller)

and

The Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini ( 10/10 a brilliant story & highly recommended)

Now I`m reading Stolen ~ Tess Gerritsen :lol:

I loved The Kite Runner too. :D Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?

I haven`t read it yet but I`ve bought and will definately be reading it very soon. :lol: I`m sure people have said it`s better than The Kite Runner, I can`t imagine how that`s possible! I look forward to finding out though. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Finished A Thousand Splendid Suns ~ Khaled Hosseini.

I highly recommend it, it`s an incredibly moving and thought provoking story. Reading this and The Kite Runner have really made me rethink my attitude towards Afghanistan and the troubles over there, innocent people have suffered so much for so long and the women so much more it seems.

10/10

Finished To Kill A Mocking Bird ~ Harper Lee

An incredible story set in 1930s Alabama and told by the daughter of the lawyer who defends a black man accused of raping a white teenager. As well as talking of the racial prejudice, this book covers so much more. Atticus, the lawyer, is a single parent bringing up his two children since being made a widower when his youngest child was 2, he seemed like the ideal father to me and a rare breed of man for that time period I imagine, with a great outlook on life, but not everybody thought the same way! There was a boy whose parents were separated and we hear of the effect this had on him. Seeing the story through the childs eyes was lovely, funny and sad.

Harper Lee was an amazing story teller. I`m certain I`ll be reading this again. 10/10

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much Pip. It's one of my favourite ever books and well overdue for a re-read. Frankie, you must put it way up near the top of your TBR pile! It's brilliant and I'm sure you'll love it. :roll:

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much Pip. It's one of my favourite ever books and well overdue for a re-read. Frankie, you must put it way up near the top of your TBR pile! It's brilliant and I'm sure you'll love it. :roll:

I think me reading about the Civil War and the times of slavery would be a kind of an introduction to reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and then To Kill a Mockingbird, they'd make a nice continuum :lol:

Thanks for the review Pipread, it does sound like a really intriguing read! I'm glad you enjoyed the novel so much, I might have to bump this book up on my TBR pile :D

I`d read it was good and it was only even better Frankie. :lol:

You really should bump it up! This was the first time I`d read it but I really regret not reading it sooner - still better late than never :D

As Kylie says it`s brilliant, and you`re sure to love it. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much Pip. It's one of my favourite ever books and well overdue for a re-read. Frankie, you must put it way up near the top of your TBR pile! It's brilliant and I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks Kylie, I can see why it`s a favourite of yours, story telling at its best I think.

I think me reading about the Civil War and the times of slavery would be a kind of an introduction to reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and then To Kill a Mockingbird, they'd make a nice continuum :D

I`ve never read Uncle Tom`s Cabin either, I`ll be interested to read what you think of it if you do.

Happy reading :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I`ve read,

So Many Ways To Begin ~ Jon Mcgregor.

David Carter cannot help but wish for more; that his wife Eleanor could be the sparkling girl he once found so irresistible; that his job as a museum curator could live up to the promise it once held; that his daughter`s arrival could have brought him closer to Eleanor. But a few careless words spoken by his mothers friend have left David restless with the knowledge that his whole life has been constructed around a lie.

This is the second book from Jon Mcgregor and once again it`s written in his distinctive style which I find almost poetic, Mcgregor seems to bring beauty to even the seemingly mundane things he writes about. I`d wondered whether I would enjoy this book as much as I did If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, and I very quickly found out that I wouldn`t be disappointed.

The characters are very real and I really felt for Colin, his mother and Eleanor. The story is one of ordinary people leading ordinary lives but raises issues of what happens when things buried in the past surface unexpectedly.

I thought this book was great but if you didn`t like, If nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things you probably won`t like this either, it`s not everybody`s cup of tea :D

The Five People You Meet In Heaven ~ Mitch Albom

On his eighty-third birthday, eddie, a lonely war veteran, dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl.

He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever.

I bought this book after reading so many good reports on it. It was a lovely, thought provoking work of fiction, but having read it I for one hope it turns out, at least in part, to be true. The story makes us think that everything happens for a reason, something I do believe anyway, and it makes us think about how our actions have a knock on effect.

I would love to believe that there`ll be five people waiting for me when I die, to explain my life to me and to tell me why certain things had turned out the way they did. :lol:

I`ve spoken so much about this book at work I`ve got people queuing up to borrow it, including one person who never reads! :D I hope they`re not disappointed.

10/10 recommended.