What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I would agree, however since mum passed away I am finding a lot of comfort in reading a variety of different books on grief and bereavement.

Normally I would agree too, but the long healing process I very much needed started after reading such a book. Andy I think you are right, that, sadly there are too many books on the subject that are probably just money makers and gimmicks to fit our quick fix society, but there are some very good ones and some people really need them.

Guest Tiresias
Normally I would agree, however since mum passed away I am finding a lot of comfort in reading a variety of different books on grief and bereavement.

Really, we need to define what we mean by "self-help".

I was thinking of the very worst that that genre has to offer: How to Make Your First Million; 12 Easy Steps to a Better You; How to Get the Perfect Body in 32 Days, etc. But I am also sure that, as you say, there are helpful books out there for dealing with grief and bereavement, on better parenting, living with diabetes, etc., etc., though I don't really think these books deserve the title "Self-Help" with all that it entails. I'd class them "educational non-fiction", or something like that.

And there is also some truth in the statement: there is no book so bad that there is not some good in it.

Edited by Tiresias

I must say I have enjoyed Ben Elton's books - deliciously dark comedies.

But it's a big no to:

Lord of the Rings (tried once - BORING)

Harry Potter

Terry Pratchett

Sci/fi & fantasy

Western

On the Biography/Autobiography front, I do read some:

John Peel's "Margrave of the Marshes" is very good. I am also currently enjoying Martin Johson's autobiography - ex captain of England's rugby team. Well written, no self pity, factual & entertaining.

Other biogs in the TBR pile include Eric Clapton's.

I refuse to read biographies by people who are clearly about a quarter of the way into their careers, or by Z-list nonentities from Big Brother or Britain's got Talent (sic)

I must say I have enjoyed Ben Elton's books - deliciously dark comedies.

But it's a big no to:

Lord of the Rings (tried once - BORING)

Harry Potter

Terry Pratchett

Sci/fi & fantasy

Western

Why not Terry Pratchett? I'm interested to know what puts you off.

As for me, no to Mills and Boon and true life crime, it seems a bit voyeuristic to me.

Anything so-called celebrity written, as for one thing, most of them are not celebrity written, and for another, they have enough money already, and I don't see why I should subsidise their plastic surgery and egos ! :friends0:

• 2 months later...

I pretty much read anything and everything, if it's got words my eyes are upon it !! :welcome: I don't enjoy all that I read, but then that's the pleasure of reading. For me going by genre or whatever is popular/bestsellers has never been an issue. Just like losing the contents paper of a box of chocs, you don't know what the flavour is gonna be but you dive in anyway. That way sometimes you find something great that you wouldn't have picked if you had read the wrapper. :006:

Mills & Boon or Catherine Cookson like reads...

I'll probably enjoy them if I read them, but I can't get out of my head that they are old ladies books. My Nan reads them all the time.

Have to agree with you there :D Also anything by Danielle Steel. No thanks :D

Stephanie and Charm you are actually missing some good reads by avoiding Catherine Cookson books, they are well written and very gritty in places, not just romantic fiction and certainly nothing like Barbara Cartland!!! Its quite a long time since I read any Cookson books, but I would always recommend them. Give her a try!!!

I always avoid "funny" books so I wont read anything by Ben Elton. Also Celeb autobiographies in the Charlotte Church/Chris Moyles/ Coleen mould.

I dont mind biographies from a famous person who has actually got some stories to tell/interseting things to say/ is not in their early twenties!

I always avoid "funny" books so I wont read anything by Ben Elton. Also Celeb autobiographies in the Charlotte Church/Chris Moyles/ Coleen mould.

I dont mind biographies from a famous person who has actually got some stories to tell/interseting things to say/ is not in their early twenties!

I agree. I heard that the girl playing Hannah Montana is bringing out an autobiography and she's only 15. I'm not saying she hasn't had a good life, but it's just so she can release another in a few years, like Katie Price has done, and make even more money.

I stay as far away as possible from horror/ ghost/ vampire stories (and films). The simple idea gives me the creeps, never saw the appeal of them!

And I never managed to read Lord of the rings, eventhough I tried several times, loved the films, and my whole family are big fans of it... I dont know why, I just cant get into it for some reason.

I stay as far away as possible from horror/ ghost/ vampire stories (and films). The simple idea gives me the creeps, never saw the appeal of them!

I couldn't agree more! Not my cup of tea.