Favourite fantasy book

Renius

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest radjack

for me it has to be the harry potter books.

They were the reason i started reading in english ( i couldn't wait for the portuguese versions).

The Harry Potter Books, Lord of the Rings. I have very much enjoyed as far as I have read, George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire series, although it takes some stamina and sorting out (but then so does Tolkien!). The first in the series is A Game of Thrones. Terry Pratchett is in a league of his own. Guards! Guards! is my favourite.

I don't do fantasy. Usually I am allergic to that genre. However I loved all of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. I am so glad I gave them a try! In fact, I have to get hold of the latest one. (Hope it is of the same calibre)

Harry Potter books are obviously going to have to be included. :tong: .. Of course. I've always found Lord of the ring's hard to get into. I'm going to start reading some Tarry Pratchett, heard good things. :006:

• 3 weeks later...

An obvious one (as already cited umpteen times above) - 'The Lord of the Rings'.

The first book I can remember actually wanting to read when I was a kid was 'The Hobbit' - the end of which I'd caught on Jackanory back in I think 1980, and was determined to find out what I'd missed. Loved the book - and had to read the sequel LOTR and really had my eyes opened when it wasn't just a longer 'hobbit'.

Also amused me that every English teacher I had hated the book :lol:

Did your English teachers hate The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings?

My current favourite (sort of) fantasy is a pair of books by Charles Stross called The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue. Imagine the world as it is, except that magic exists and is bound by mathematical rules, and there is a civil service bureauocracy dedicated to stopping people finding out. Oh yes, and H.P.Lovecraft was right.

I haven't read a lot of fantasy, but I very much enjoy books by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. They come up with the most likeable and original characters. They take a bit of getting into as there are a lot of characters and different scenarios going on, but once in 50 pages or so, I get hooked. I love their humour too.

Another vote for Tolkien and also Charles Stross :friends0: "Glasshouse" is very good.

I love John Crowley - "Engine Summer" and "Little Big" are my two favourite fantasy titles.

Also like Storm Constantine, particularly the Wraeththu series.

I enjoyed Chris Wooding's "The Braided Path" very much and have been reading Tad William's "Shadowmarch" and "Shadowplay" which I like, but find Briony a bit whiny and annoying.

• 1 month later...

I have been reading fantasy most of my life and can recommend quite a few. I do tend to prefer series, some of which are quite large. Below are a few of my favourites.

1) The Wheel of Time series, by the late Robert Jordon

Note: Brandon Sanderson has been commissioned to write the last one, called Memory of Light. It is due out in late 2009. Here is a link to his site if you wish to keep updated on his progress: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/category/39/

2) The Sword of Truth Series, by Terry Goodkind

(See my review thread for a review of the first book as I am currently re-reading the series and am adding reviews for each book as I get the time and motivation for them. Also, here is a link to to all of his work on this series where you can view the covers and click on them for a synopsis of each book: http://www.terrygoodkind.com/his_works/ )

3) The Begariad, by David Eddings, along with two character related books - Belgarath and Polgara

Note: All of these were co-written with his wife Leigh, but due to publishing "standards" of the time, her name was not publicly attributed to them until recently. Here is a link to their website where you can view the covers and synopsis for this series, as well as others of their work: http://www.eddingschronicles.com/index.html

4) The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, by Stephen R. Donaldson

Note: I've noticed that many people here seem unaware of how may sets of Chronicles there are in this series, and that Donaldson has revived the storyline. In the last (and final) set of Chronicles, Donaldson picks up the story 10 earth years later from where it left off. The following link to his website has a section on it where you can read the first chapter of this two newest books in this series: http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/

There are three sets of Chronicles in this series. The last and final set of Chronicles consists of four books, two of which are already published and two of which are still being written. Below are the book titles and publication dates as found in Wikipedia:

The First Chronicles:

Book One: Lord Foul's Bane (1977)

Book Two: The Illearth War (1978)

Book Three: The Power that Preserves (1979)

The Second Chronicles:

Book One: The Wounded Land (1980)

Book Two: The One Tree (1982)

Book Three: White Gold Wielder (1983)

The Last Chronicles:

Book One: The Runes of the Earth (2004)

Book Two: Fatal Revenant (2007)

Book Three: Against all Things Ending (planned for 2010)

Book Four: The Last Dark (planned for 2013)

Incidentally, Wikepedia is a great place to check out what your favourite authors are currently up to, and often covers their entire published works in detail. Just look under the author's name, or if you can't recall it, but remember the title of a book, Wikipedia will bring up all information they have related to both the book, the author and frequently information on everything published by that author. Including reviews, publishing dates, links to related sites such as articles, interviews and more!

5) Books by Dave Duncan:

Dave Duncan has written many other books and series. Here is the link to his website if you would like to look at the covers and synopsis for the books I've listed below, or to check out his other work: http://www.daveduncan.com/books.html

The Seventh Swordsman Trilogy:

Book One: The Reluctant Swordsman (1988), ISBN: 0-345-35291-2

Book Two: The Coming of Wisdom (1988), ISBN: 0-345-35292-0

Book Three: The Destiny of the Sword (1988), ISBN: 0-345-35293-9

The King's Blades Trilogies (Also by Dave Duncan)

Tales of the King's Blades:

Book One: The Gilded Chain (1998), ISBN: 0-380-97460-6

Book Two: Lord of the Fire Lands (1999), ISBN: 0-380-97461-4

Book Three: Sky of Swords (2000), ISBN: 0-380-97462-2

Chronicles of the King's Blades:

Book One: Paragon Lost (2002), ISBN: 0-380-81835-3

Book Two: Impossible Odds (2003), ISBN: 0-380-81834-5

Book Three: The Jaguar Knights (2004), ISBN: 0-06-055511-4

Well this post is quite long enough and I'm getting pooped. Will come back and add more later! (Unless of course I've scared everyone away.:D)

Happy reading all! :blush:

Edited by wordsgood

Terry Brooks - Shannara Series

Hi. I just put this in another thread in answer to a new member seeking new fantasy reads, but as this is a really popular thread, I thought I would add it here as well!

For anyone who liked these ones, Terry Brooks has recently revived his Shannar series for the 2nd time in the last several years. Here is the link to his official website. The link I'm using should take you directly to the page on it listing all of his published work thus far, including all of the Shannara series.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me Lord of the rings and The Hobbit are on their own.

I think it may have something to do with the age you are when you first read them, I was about 14/15 [many moons ago]

I`ve just read Roverandom and it is delightful, I `ve known about it for years and thought it would be too childish.

It is and I love it :D

I`ve also just finished the Song of fire and Ice series by George R R Martin

and really enjoyed them all. Can`t wait for the next so I`ve ordered The Hedge Knight to try. It has good reviews on Amazon so here`s hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh Phoenix, you are so lucky to be new to Pratchett and have all his back catalogue ahead of you! I loved it when I discovered Pratchett. And sometimes Waterstone's have 3 for 2 on his books! :)