Favourite fantasy book

Renius

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to step out of my comfort zone to read a few fantasy books.

Here's what I picked up.

Book 1, The Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan

The Witches Of EiLeanan by Kate Forsyth

I've heard so much about Robert Jordan that I had to pick it up and give it a shot. I also like the fact that he was a "local" boy!:friends0:

I haven't read either but good luck with your first foray in fantasy Katrina, I hope you enjoy it. Disclaimer: if you don't, please don't be deterred from trying again - the genre by its very definition encompasses pretty much anything that isn't strict realism, therefore it is logically impossible that we should all like the same ones.

My favourite is still Black Sun Rising, the first in the Coldfire Trilogy. Nothing I've read this year has come close within it's genre, and as a mix of sci-fi and fantasy (arguably the best foundation for fantasy if you're like me and like a bit of logic in your magic) there's nothing better.

Thanks Bookjumper. One thing that I do know that I like are books that are centered around or created in sort of a "middle earth" time period. I've never been a fan of "futuristic" reading. I think thats why I was attracted to Robert Jordan. He's the one who did the Wheel Of Time series.

:kissing: I am kinda. I sent him an email once and got a reply from Shawn (his Web Druid don'tcha know). Do I get put in the promo forum yet?

On a more serious level though, he really is a fantastic writer, for seasoned fantasy readers, and new ones (hint hint @ Katrina)...

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. I've only read one of the Harry Potter series though - I had no patience so I've read Deathly Hallows. I know, I know, shame on me.

To my unbelievable shame, I have never read a Discworld novel. I know I should, but never actually gotten around to it. I do, however, love Good Omens by Neil Gaiman, wonderful stuff.

My girlfriend has read the Trudi Canavan Magician's Apprentice Trilogy, and says its wonderful. Once I've got through my current one, I'll be heading to them I think.

If you loved Good Omens, you'll love Discworld Too - after all, Sir Terry coauthored Good Omens so you already know you like his style!

Also, I think you might have missed out, Potterwise - IMHO, books 1 to 4 are the only ones worth reading.

I love Neil Gaiman, my favourite book being Neverwhere. I'm also a fan of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials and the Harry Potter books :D

Also, I think you might have missed out, Potterwise - IMHO, books 1 to 4 are the only ones worth reading.

Book 4 (Goblet of Fire) is my favourite of the series :D

Edited by BookJumper

My girlfriend has read the Trudi Canavan Magician's Apprentice Trilogy, and says its wonderful. Once I've got through my current one, I'll be heading to them I think.

As someone who didn't get on with the first book (I haven't read any further) I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

well for the epic fantasy its got to be LOTR for me, but i do like Neil Gaiman and loved the Dark Materials too, does anyone remember Mordants Need by Sephen Donaldson he of the Thomas Covenant they were a couple of really good fantasy books and unlike some authors didn't go to 6-7 in the series..

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are up there on my favourites list.

Also, Harry Potter series, Discworld series ( Terry Pratchett I Love You!) I really enjoyed Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Then there's Twilight, the Southern Vampire series and anything by Jasper Fforde.

Would The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy be fantasy or sci-fi?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is easily Science Fiction - Douglas was a big science buff and you could so tell by reading his books :) bless him.

I'd personally slot Jasper (cross-genre though he is) more into Science Fiction than Fantasy also; think of the time-travel, alternative history, genetic resequencing, inventions, dystopian elements...

My favourite would have to be The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordon. In particular, the first three books: The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn.

I like LOTR, but I sort of feel a lot more has been done for the fantasy genre since Tolkien's day. Sure, he started it all. But there are so many more mentionable names now.

The single fantasy book I enjoyed the most was Belgarath The Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings.

Another good auther is Tom Holt, I really enjoyed The Portable Door and Valhalla (I think that's what it was called)

I've read his to and found his books highly addictive.

You should read falling sideways ( about frogs taking over the world )

and also Barking ( about werewolfs in London )

Both books had me hooked, and got me looking into more of his books, I've also read Valhalla.

x x x

• 2 weeks later...

Oh am re-reading the Eye of the World now, first book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and even though I know it's not my fav, it's been years since I read it and I find myself happy to be reading it again. It's lovely, magical, and feels like wrapping myself up in my favourite blanket again after too long. I didn't know I remembered this much, I didn't even know that this was THAT particular book, with the Ogier, and the Saidin roads etc. I loved it, and it's certainly amongst my favourites, can't wait to read the rest again, don't think I have ever gotten beyond the first 5 or 6, so there's plenty more, am SOOOOO happy about that. :lol:

oh am re-reading the eye of the world now, first book in the wheel of time series by robert jordan, and even though i know it's not my fav, it's been years since i read it and i find myself happy to be reading it again. It's lovely, magical, and feels like wrapping myself up in my favourite blanket again after too long. I didn't know i remembered this much, i didn't even know that this was that particular book, with the ogier, and the saidin roads etc. I loved it, and it's certainly amongst my favourites, can't wait to read the rest again, don't think i have ever gotten beyond the first 5 or 6, so there's plenty more, am sooooo happy about that. :friends0:

yes finally one person!