E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a Sony Pocket one (in pink :friends0:).

That thing is definitely not going to replace books, I could never go and buy ebooks rather than a proper copy, but I want to use it for some classics from Project Gutenberg and Fan Fictions or stories that my friends wrote. It's easier than reading them on my laptop or printing them out.

Checked the prices of ebooks out of interest though. I might have been tempted to buy 1 or 2 if they'd been really cheap but they're nearly as "expensive" as proper books so there's no way that I'll buy an ebook.

I just cant bring myself to care for any of these. When I look about my home and see all my favorite books on the shelves, I have to wonder how uncozy it would look without the shelves and the books. I need to feel my books, to turn the pages and read the covers. And honestly, I dont need anything else electronical to place in front of my already weak eyes!

I can see the place of portable e-readers. Having spent 4 years of university struggling to lug around tomes such as Duncan Wu's "Romanticism: An Anthology", "An Introduction to Philosophy: Classical and Contemporary Readings" and Shakespeare's Complete Works, I would have then welcomed one of the things - provided such titles were available for it in their most recent editions (yeah, as if). I am also quite a gadgety person, particularly if the gadget is sleek and available in pink (see my Asus EEE PC and my Samsung Digimax NV15), HOWEVER:

Given that (as I'll explain in a moment) my use of one would be quite limited, they are not worth the bazillions they cost. Consider the joy of getting lost in bookstores, the tactile thrill upon first picking up a particularly nicely-bound book, the sheer lusciousness of being able to read in the bath, the instant reliving of most of your life just by glancing at the bookshelf, I could go on... how is an e-reader, electronic ink or not, going to replicate any of those experiences?

To me, hunting for a particular cover, attending signings of first editions, reading the inscriptions left inside books by the people who've thoughfully passed them onto me are just as important as the words on the pages. One of my favourite books is Ferenc Molnar's The Paul Street Boys; I used to borrow it out of the library constantly as a child, and had never owned my own copy. Then, one Christmas, my father regaled me with one. The paragraph written in purple fountain pen on the title page to the effect that, even as an adult, I shouldn't be ashamed to shed a tear for the story is as dear to me as the story itself.

Should they ever de-price these things enough for me to grab one for (say) fifty pounds and make academic ebooks available for no more than half the price of their paperback counterparts, I'll probably invest - after all, fifty pounds is not two hundred and odd; one can come to terms with breaking/losing/having stolen fifty pounds of equipment in a way one can't two hundred and odd. Even then however, it will be a supplement to my beloved book collection, in the same way mp3s have not replaced my CDs, which in turn live quite happily alongside my vinyls.

At the end of the day, if it came to the decision: convert all my books to e-format or be condemned to lug the Duncan Wu Anthologies of the world around forever, I know which one I'd choose.

Edited by BookJumper

And honestly, I dont need anything else electronical to place in front of my already weak eyes!

But it doesn't look like laptops and all that sort of stuff. It looks very similar to paper and hasn't got any background lightning etc. That's what I was wondering about at first as I also thought of rather buying a new phone that could do the same, but they are actually completely different.

@BookJumper

I know, how can someone possibly resist something pink?!?! :friends0:

But as you said, it is a ridiculous price (mind that you can get it 20 pounds cheaper on the Waterstones and WHSmith website though) and I wouldn't have bought it if my parents wouldn't have paid half of it as a birthday present.

And as I said above, I really just got it so I can read all those Fan Fictions I got into recently and to make it easier to read my friends stories. I think it's also quite good for "business" people as you can read PDFs and stuff on it. Oh, and I think writers might like the touch edition as well as you're able to write on it etc.

But whoever likes the idea of replacing books with a thing like that must be mad, there's nothing like feeling a good book in your hand!

I have edited my earlier post with my reply to a rather trollish thread on the Amazon forums whose OP reads: "books will soon be obsolete as the sony e-reader will out sell reading books. muhaaha". Having read some of the responses byly and largely elaborating this dreadful premise, I just had to intervene with my tuppence... :friends0:!

But it doesn't look like laptops and all that sort of stuff. It looks very similar to paper and hasn't got any background lightning etc.

Having used one - you're right, but it's as soulless as a laptop, and feels like a laptop in terms of read, aside from all the other potential problems with yet another electronic gadget. I can see a role, but I must admit that I simply don't like them for reading.

One other thing that nobody, as far as I know, has yet considered is long term compatibility. Reading computer files less than two decades old is horribly difficult as both media and file formats keep changing. I have a lot of books a lot older than that. I certainly wouldn't want any e-book collection to become out of date.

Edited by willoyd

• 1 month later...

I picked up a lovely old copy of a Sheridan le Fanu ghost book of short stories at the weekend complete with beautiful illustrations. I just wouldn't get that on an e-reader would I.:)

I picked up a lovely old copy of a Sheridan le Fanu ghost book of short stories at the weekend complete with beautiful illustrations. I just wouldn't get that on an e-reader would I.:)

and the odds of being mugged for a book would be considerably less

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am very new to your site and a bit nervous.

I hope not to offend anyone by enquiring about eBooks. While I love reading books, recently I got as a present a small Sony eBook reader.

As I have twins that are a few months old, I end up reading a lot with one of my babies in my hands.

Reading even a soft cover while soothing a baby is challenging – especially turning a page. Here the eBook reader is a champion; it is small enough to hold with two fingers, easy to flip pages.

Since I am new to eBook, and I do not know anybody else with a eBook reader I was hoping to find some here. Am I in the right place?

Thanks Yair

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread :)

Hi welcome the site!

I personally dont know much about the e books, though my other half wanted to get me one, but when I realised his motive behind it was for me to get rid of the hundreds of books that I have all around the house I refused it.:friends0:

What I do remember at the time, is that the books were quite expensive to buy, which was also a put off, as I was unable to get my bargains. Though I can see why having one would be good, as they are not as big and bulky as having a book in your bag and you can read them at night, without having to turn the lamp on!

Lisax

Hi Lisax

Ahh but you do need to turn the lamp on - they are 'easy on the eye' because they do not have back light.

And I had to chuck out many many books to make room (to kids) so it is OK.

And it is expensive, you can not find the book you want....

Keep your books.

I've just been on the Waterstones web site, and they have a sale on the ebooks, though I can't say wether they are any good or not.

I had to get rid of a lot of my books when I had my daughter, I was gutted!

lisaxx

Hi

The good things about eBook readers:

Easy to read

Easy to carry around

Easy to store many many books

can get hundred of classic books free

The not so good things

less fun than a real book

can look to previous pages but not as easy

if there are pictures diagrams they can be very small hard to read

only limited list of books availble

I am still looking for barging cheap books

My reader is the simpler cheaper one. Sony and I think Amazon have more expensive touch screen readers - I never used one.

I got mine as a present. It is great as I have no room for books (throw out most of mine, use library and now eBooks).

I can carry it with me when I am in town or have to carry something around (a baby)

I hope this is helpful, Yair

It looks as if you are getting more and more tempted with a eBook.

After reading your message I went to the Waterstone eBooks sale and added two books to my wish list Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. I'll keep them for when I finished my current eBook 'The Greatest Show on Earth' by Richard Dawkins.

Yair

After a year or so of self-debating, I've recently taken the Ereader plunge on a Sony pocket Ereader, and am very, very impressed with it so far. It's so comfortable and light to hold, far easier on the thumbs, and needs so little effort to position it. You can read it comfortably on the floor or in bed with just one or 'no hands' which makes a reading session so much more comfortable. The display surface is superb - very easy to read on the eye, and being perfectly flat, you don't get any paper glare variations across the page like a book can. The arm and eye comfort is a very big plus for me, being an all-day strained computer user.

With Epub files, the page turn is quicker than a book (for neatness-obsessed me, anyway!) , though converted files and pdf's can be a fraction slower, but nothing as distracting as sometimes claimed. Electronic bookmarking works very well, and don't misplace or fall out! Start up time could be quicker (about 30 seconds), but the comfort factor makes it very worthwhile. The battery life is astonishing, (4 books in and still halfway) and the portability, multiple book reading and storage saving speaks for itself.

True, some Ebooks aren't cheap, hopefully that will come when stores wise-up a bit more, cross-check prices and scale their side up further. There's a vast number of offerings already on Waterstones, WHSmiths etc , and the downloading/transfering is quick. There are some real bargains about, many free classics and works by self-publishers etc. I'm already backlogged with downloads to read, actively looking to wider areas of interest as a result, and enjoying another way of reading. I still buy some regular books as the availabilty/price dictates, but always check for Ebooks now. It's not an either/or scenario after all.

To me, it's broadened the whole experience of reading and offers another way - I've found it very liberating, especially the ability to read in a much more private and subtle way, allowing for books on subjects I would never have bought or read without attracting the unwelcome comments and opinions some people are determined to always offer. That was a big influence in taking the plunge for me, and boy, it works! :friends0:

I'd reccomend even the most anti-Ebook reader at least try to get a longish session with one to see the potential benefits. I'm sold on them, and can only see them adding value to the nation's reading long term.