E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

Very helpful thanks Brian and thanks Easy Reader and Kylie too :friends3::smile:

I'm still none the wiser though I don't know which to go for or which will suit me best :blush2:

My dilemma is ....

I won't be buying that many books on there I don't think as they're not that much cheaper than paperback but guess will be good for new releases and if I don't want to go out to pick a book up and will be really good for holiday on the beach etc.

I'm thinking either the cheapest basic 1 or the kindle fire as I'll surf the net and use it most days just won't be much use for holidays on the beach etc hmmmmmmmm :banghead:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not think that you will buy and read that many e-books, but experience has shown (and a quick look through some of the other related threads on here will confirm this) that many who thought this have rapidly become Kindle converts and have found like myself that their reading has doubled if not more.

You may not think that you will buy and read that many e-books, but experience has shown (and a quick look through some of the other related threads on here will confirm this) that many who thought this have rapidly become Kindle converts and have found like myself that their reading has doubled if not more.

Yep - guilty as charged. :D I hesitated for a while before buying a Kindle because I didn't realise quite how much I would use it. I thought I would read the odd book on it, but still mostly read paper books. The opposite is true - I have probably read 5 paper books this year (if that); all the others have been Kindle books.

If you are going to use it primarily for reading, then I would stay away from the Kindle Fire and stick with one of the e-ink Kindles. It really is just like reading a paper-book (in terms of no eye-strain) and even easier to read, somehow. Also, it needs charging maybe once a month (even if you use it daily) and the storage capacity is very handy, especially when travelling. :smile:

On the subject of eye strain - I can't look at a computer screen for long before my eyes feel affected, but I have no problems with my tablet. The kindle app gives you even more control over the brightness, and with it nice and low, I find it really comfortable to read with. :)

You might want to check if your library loans ebooks, and if they do, what devices they support. My library, for example, doesn't support either Kindles or iPads, so if you want to continue using the library to borrow books from, I would check with them too.

I'd have to disagree with Michelle - I get eye strain and subsequent headaches from my tablet and the Kindle app if I read for any more than about an hour, but I can read the Kindle (I have the older Keyboard style Kindle) all day if I want to and not suffer at all, as there is no backlit screen which is what causes my headaches. When I was in my local Waterstone's last time, they had all the different Kindle models currently available on display, so if you have one near you, it might be worth visiting to have a good look at the Kindle too. :)

Well I finally got to see an e-reader in action. Three different versions of a Kobo. Must say I was completely...underwhelmed! Sticking to my paperbooks.

I have to say that I tried a number of e-readers before plumping on a Kindle, and found the vast majority equally underwhelming, including the Kobo. Above all, the Kindle was the only one that seemed to turn pages at a sensible rate, all the others being too slow to respond. I still generally prefer the reading experience of a paper book, with one of two caveats: the Kindle is far more convenient for any form of travelling (especially the sort I indule in - usually pretty light); I like the search facility of an ebook, which works better for me than flicking back through the pages;

I got given a Kindle Fire HD as an early Christmas pressie and I love it. I've downloaded iPlayer app and have watched some programmes - very clear it is.

Does anyone know how I sync book locations with my Kindle keyboard. I know there is a way to be able to read the same book either on Fire and Keyboard and you can ask it it to go to the same page - but not sure how to do it. Very grateful for advice from any techie peeps. :smile:

Hi Sue

I'm about as much a Tekkie as Ma Kettle. but here is how you go from one device to another -- you have to make sure your wireless connection is turned on ,on your regular kindle, if that is where you started the book from .

Then go up to the right hand corner on the Fire,and a real small little COG- like doohickey will be there -- it looks like a little round gear.

Touch that ,and it will show a wider toolbar up at the top. Click on Sync --- and it should sync your devices so that one can tell what page you are on with the other .

* This is from last year's Fire,so not sure if everything on the new one works exactly the same .

This is probably about as clear as mud . Hope this explains it so you can understand it . :)

Thanks for your help julie. I'll give that a go when I get home tonight. Presumably I need wireless on, on both devices? (Not sure what a doohickey is :smile: but it's a lovely word!) I'll let you know if it all syncs up.

Sue

Yea, it should work ok ,but if you have any trouble, give a shout out . I'll try to explain it better .

A doohickey is just a little thingamajig . Or gadget .

Sorry, I'm a hillbilly,so sometimes use hillbilly words .

Good luck and have fun with your new Fire . I was really impressed when I watched my first video on it -- the colors are so clear and pretty .

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share with everyone that I have just received a Kindle as an early 21st birthday present. My Grandma bought us both one for my birthday. Any excuse so she could finally get one ;) Now I'm desperately trying to finish the book I'm reading so I can start reading on the Kindle. I hope I will be a convert as it is very handy indeed. I'm just not sure if it's going to be the same though...

Kezlehan

Congrats on becoming a new Kindle owner .I bet you'll like it and yes they are very handy . It took me a long while to get used to reading on it ,but now it's all I use . Books feel too heavy or bulky or something after using such a light weight reader.

Wow I hope I am lucky enough to have the same experience! I just hope I don't miss the feel and smell of a good paperback :) Also, now I know this sounds strange, but I seem to have no idea what to read now. It's like there's suddenly a whole new world out there full of books and I can't choose what I want to read! I think it's because you can put so many books on it, where as normally I have a to read pile of a handful. (Drastically reduced it from about 60 not long back!)

Yes, you will probably miss the smell of the paper when reading. It definitely takes some getting used to in the beginning. For a long while I switched back and forth between the Kindle and books ,but I gradually switched to strictly Kindle. I think it's because it's so easy to get books for it . They have thousands of new titles a day coming out in their free books section ,so if I'm in the mood to try some, I just click on it,and there 's the new book . Such a handy-dandy way to get a book. No driving to the bookstore and waiting in lines, etc . You see a book you want, click on it and the book is in your hands . That's one of the things I like best about it ,because we live a long ways from any bookstores .

I'm not sure if this website works for any Kindle owner,no matter what their location,but I also go to the web page Kindle Nation Daily --they list all the newest books there each morning in every category ,so it's a good place to look for the freebies or low cost books. :)

Edited by julie

I can imagine it will take some time, but I'm sure it will be an enjoyable experience.

You're right about how easy it is to get books, although I think I'll still end up in the book shop finding ones I want before downloading them on my Kindle :)

Thanks for the heads up about that website, I will check it out.

As I mentioned before, we have the basic, older kindles with adverts. I don't really know how many books I have on it, probably around 100(ish). But 90% of them are freebies or 2.99USD types.

Today though I ran across this article on the L.A. Times, http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20121223,0,1032270.column It gives one pause.