E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I saw that this was released today and I thought it was sort of neat. It is an e-book. There are others on the market including one made by Sony. This newest one is made by Amazon and it is called the Kindle. It works like the i-pod so you just go to Amazon and download a book. The books are cheaper to download then to buy and the unit can store up to 200 books. I was just wondering what are your thoughts on e-books?

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=5097898&ch=4226721&src=news

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this today, too, and checked it out on Amazon! It looks totally cool! If it weren't $400 I would be down with it:) Digging it, just waiting to see what happens with the price, etc. The cost includes Wikipedia and dictionary, and free all-the-time access (via some funky wireless cell-like technology, so better than Wi-Fi) to Amazon...so as to download books for $9.99 You can also get a memory chip to hold more books.

I love a book like anyone else, but this sounds ecofriendly and super convenient. It's also shaped like a book with an eerily paper-like screen.

While I'll always prefer holding a physical book, these gadgets interest me. The only problem I've had with them in the past is that they never allow you to put your own texts on them - you always must buy direct from the seller, although it seems you can add your own with the Kindle. I have stacks of etexts I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg and I would love to put them on such a device.

Actually I've just been reading about the features on Amazon's site and it's looking pretty good. It's been getting a lot of negative reviews at Amazon, but the device hasn't been released yet so I think people are getting ahead of themselves! I recommend reading some of the reviews listed on Amazon's site from people who were used in the testing of the device. They, at least, appear to know what they're talking about.

It's certainly interesting, but pretty pricey so I wouldn't consider one unless it came down in price (a lot!)

Guest fireball

What's wrong with a regular and proper book then.? At least if the worst came to the worst, if you'd dropped a book, it wouldn't break or damage something inside of it. I like books proper even paperbacks!, :D but with this thing...an expensive, very, gimmick methinks. And when the lights go out (power cut), the ONLY batteries you'll ever need, will be for your torch (flashlight to or American friends). :lol:

That is way too expensive. Plus, in the pictures, it looks really bulky and heavy. How is that different from your average hardback? I'll never get into e-books. For me, one of the great things about reading is getting away from my computer, to which I am addicted!:D

It's a really nice idea, but it's WAY too pricey and it looks like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :D I don't like how it looks at all - I think it looks cheap and slightly tacky. If I'm paying $400 for something like that, I want it to look sleek and have a brushed metal finish and changeable covers! My full thoughts HERE on my blog.

Oh my goodness. I couldn't see pics of it yesterday when I visited Amazon but just saw them now. It's certainly not attractive is it? Definitely looks like something out of the 80s. Another turnoff point for me. Drop the price and change the design (maybe they should get Apple on board!) and then I might consider it.

Guest fireball

Here's what it said in my second newspaper that I get over here on Vancouver Island.

Vancouver Sun.

Amazon launches world's first wireless electronic book

Device mimics paper, can store up to 200 downloaded books

Reuters

Published: Tuesday, November 20, 2007

NEW YORK -- Amazon.com, the world's largest Web retailer, said yesterday it will begin selling an electronic book reader with wireless access, the latest attempt to build consumer interest in portable reading devices.

Although the market for e-books is limited, and competing devices have yet to catch on, one analyst said Amazon's book reader could eventually evolve into one that is able to capture all of the company's many offerings.

The battery-operated Amazon Kindle will sell for $399 and let users download books, newspapers and blogs over a wireless connection. It can carry about 200 books downloaded from Amazon.com at about $10 each for new releases.

57685-19362.jpg?size=l

Wireless access, based on the cellphone broadband technology EVDO, is built into the 10-ounce, thin white device.

Downloading content does not require a computer and takes less than a minute for a full-length book, the company said.

"The question is, can you improve upon something as highly evolved and well-suited to its task as the book? And if so, how?," Amazon.com chief executive Jeff Bezos said at a press conference in New York.

The device's screen is not back-lit and uses electronic ink to mimic paper. The competing Sony Reader from Sony Corp uses similar technology but does not include wireless access.

In a note to customers on the company's web site, http://www.amazon.com, Bezos wrote: "The book lover in me often has asked the nerd in me: 'Is there a way to get the emotions and experiences I love from books, but combined with the possibilities of advanced technology?'"

Seattle-based Amazon began as an online bookseller but has since grown into the world's largest web retailer and second-most-popular e-commerce site behind eBay Inc, selling everything from scooters to diamonds to groceries.

In recent years it has beefed up its spending on technology; but pull-backs in spending in the past year and resulting improved profits have caused Amazon's share price to nearly double since January.

In a research note, Stifel Nicolaus analyst Scott Devitt said the device "has the capacity to recreate the e-book business, as well as several other long-term options."

"With time, we believe Amazon Kindle could be Amazon.com's Trojan Horse into a complete 'always on' connection to all Amazon offerings," Devitt wrote.

Amazon already allows consumers to download videos through its Amazon Unbox service, as well as music through its recently-launched Amazon MP3 store -- measures designed to ensure consumer loyalty and get a foothold into the nascent digital arena.

The Kindle service will also offer subscriptions to newspapers, magazines and blogs for a monthly fee.

Subscriptions to newspapers such as the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal will range from $5.99 to $14.99. Magazine subscriptions will range from $1.25 to $3.49 per month.

Amazon will offer subscriptions to blogs at a cost of about 99 cents.

Amazon said it currently offers more than 90,000 books. Downloading and reading the first chapters of most books is free.

Amazon shares were up 0.7 per cent, or 56 cents, to $79.16 in early afternoon trading on the Nasdaq.

I still say it's a VERY expensive bloody gimmick,:lol: I'll stick with books proper. At nearly four hundred dollars!!! bloody hell! just think of the REAL books I'd be buying with that.! :D

So I'm a superbookwormaholic.! Sue me.! theboss.gif

Nothing can take away the textural feel of a book hard/paper back, ooooh and the lovely smell of it too, and another thing, they look great when finished reading them, sitting nestled on your book shelf/case.:eek:

Anyone disagree.?

Drop the price and change the design (maybe they should get Apple on board!) and then I might consider it.

I agree - Apple always seem to have really cool or sleek designs. It could just look SO much nicer than it does!

So I'm a superbookwormaholic.! Sue me.! theboss.gif

Nothing can take away the textural feel of a book hard/paper back, ooooh and the lovely smell of it too, and another thing, they look great when finished reading them, sitting nestled on your book shelf/case.:lol:

Anyone disagree.?

Me too - Nothing will ever replace physical books for me, but it would be handy if I was travelling anywhere - I could have SUCH choice to take with me.

But then, deciding WHICH 200 books to download would have me wracking my brains! :D

Guest fireball
But then, deciding WHICH 200 books to download would have me wracking my brains! :eek:

:) so true, I'll give you that,:( but this Amazon thingie this ehhh,

Amazon launches world's first wireless electronic book thingie really should be complementary to rather than replacing books proper, I mean WHERE would the world BE without B O O K S.

I for one would be very bereft, never mind being VERY :lol: and ever so VERY :D and just might throw a mighty Tantrum.gif to boot.!

Things aren't looking to healthy for the great old hardback either see http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=113445#post113445 for details.

I agree with you guys. Remember though that we are all book lovers. We all have a passion for books and reading. So we all agree that we will stick to normal books.

What is really sad to me is that not many people partake in the wonderful joys of reading anymore. I saw on the news a report that said only 53% of American's read a book last year on their on will. In this day and age everyone runs off to get the latest gizmo and or watch a movie. Everyone is on the go so everything must be small and portable; music, phones, planners, hell you can go buy a phone that does all that and more. For an extra cost you can get it to wipe your a$$ for you too! People have gotten so cought up in this technology stuff that they have forgotten the simple joys of reading.

I guess what I am trying to say is that to the purists and everyone on this site books and reading will never die. If this device can lure in the techno crazed guy to read a book I think it is worth it. The guy who would not normally pick up a book might want to read if he got his hands on this new gizmo. I think this device will attrack the more techno-advanced people to reading. If this device gets more people reading then I think it is a world of good.

/rant :D

For an extra cost you can get it to wipe your a$$ for you too!

Ooh, where can I get one of those? :D

Good post Adam. Look at how much time we hard-core book addicts spend on the net! I can imagine how easily technology and new gadgets would distract people's attention from reading.

Guest fireball

A VERY good point indeed there Adam, fair play to you.icon14.gificon14.gif

As I too said:

really should be complementary to rather than replacing books proper

Kell wrote:

it might actally increase readership! Now THAT'S a wonderful thought.
Agreed. whole heartedly. :lol:

Adam wrote:

I guess what I am trying to say is that to the purists and everyone on this site books and reading will never die. If this device can lure in the techno crazed guy to read a book I think it is worth it.
To some Adam, who may have heard of the word, maybe us bookworms are mordern-day LUDDITES*, but are hearts in the right place though. God,! a world without books,!!!!

it's not bearing thinking about.

Adam wrote:

The guy who would not normally pick up a book might want to read if he got his hands on this new gizmo. I think this device will attrack the more techno-advanced people to reading. If this device gets more people reading then I think it is a world of good.

That can ONLY be a good thing too, well observed.

Luddite. Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed a knitting frame

Date: 1811

: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

I'm waiting until the technology catches up. Right now, all the ebook readers are pretty inconvenient and expensive. I want something that will make the 100 or so ebooks I own easier to read, not harder.

There's several things I love about ebooks.

1. I don't have room for every book I want to read. Ebooks take space on my computer, but that's it.

2. In a world that clamors for environmental change, ebooks can HELP in that direction. I do NOT believe that ebooks will ever replace print books.

3. The price. Most ebooks put out by epublishers are much cheaper than your standard paperbacks. I can buy a book by a new author and not be out much if it's awful.

Two things I dislike about ebooks.

1. There are too many darn formats. And every technology that's come out will read "this format" but not "that one". It's frustrating.

2. The readers that are out currently are either VERY ugly/bulky/expensive OR they double as something else. It's like trying to find a cell phone that's JUST A PHONE. Does that make sense? I just want an ebook reader. I don't want a calendar/ organizer/phone. I want an ebook reader so I can take the ebook I want to read to bed with me.

3. The ebooks came out and no one really knows what they are.

As one who is published in electronic publishing I see the advantages and disadvantages. I am NOT one who sees ebooks as replacing print books.

It would be nice to go on vacation and take twelve books along.....on something as small as a palm pilot. Very cool.

Has anybody else seen this? It's blimmin' brilliant!

You can get up to 200 hundred books, with a memory card store hundreds more, $9.99 (about five pounds - can't find the symbol :s )for new releases and New York Times faves, you can get Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in America) for - get this - 2 pounds fifty!! Looks like paper, next page buttons on both sides, wikipedia, free wireless connection, can read blogs and newspapers and magazines, battery lasts for days, and if you think of a book you can be reading it within a minute. It's about the size of the average paperback, and lighter than most at 10.3 ounces. You can choose what size text, in-built dictionary, fully-searchable.

God I sound like an adervertiser, but it's amazing! Have a look here

LOL - yes, they have, DWMG - I merged the two threads. :welcome:

Looks to be a good idea, but I still think too expensive and looks nowhere near as good as it sould - especially for the price they're asking...

Not at all, DWMG - we all miss posts now and then (I've been guilty of it myself too :welcome: ).

Actually, this reminds me to pose a question re the Kindle:

To those who already have e-readers, how do you think the Kindle looks to match up to your own e-reader? Do you think you'll change to a Kindle?

To those who have been tempted to get an e-reader, but haven't already - how likely do you think you are to go for a Kindle over other e-readers?

The thing I like about Kindle is that you don't constantly have to scroll down or something, you get more or less the same page you'd get with a book. That's something I'd insist upon in a e-reader, the page-like layout. If I wanted to scroll down and/or move the text I'd just read them as a text document. And as far as my (very superficial) investigation can tell, Kindle is doing that well.

But it's still really ugly! I agree with the previously mentioned suggestion of teaming up with Apple. I love Apple's design. And lets face it, Kindle isn't going to make it big until they fix the appearance.