E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't a clue, but she'll be up on Xmas Eve so I'll try to remdember to ask her. :lol:

ETA the 100 classics come as standard, it seems, and according to the Sony site, it's available fronm

Edited by Kell

Overall I really like my Sony Reader but I think the price of ebooks is too high.

I've heard this quite a lot, but I am not sure why people think e-books should be significantly cheaper. The still need to be written, edited etc, and although there isn't any paper involved there will be a lot of folks running the coomputer systems to ensure copyright protection. Seems fair to me.

FOr those that missed it I wrote a Review of my SOny E-reader.

I still love it, and it gets good use. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time Kindle was the only e-book on the market and it wasn't available in the UK. Now, all of a sudden, we have BeBook, Sony, e-bookman and Cybook, all available to buy here.

I have wondered about these. I just love the feel of books, I suspect like most of the readers on this forum, but if you were to go on holiday or a long journey and you didn't want to take up space with a lot of books, would you invest in one of these?

I was reading some reviews of the BeBook on Amazon (this is supposed to be a popular reader) but there is no download compatibility with Amazon, Smiths or other popular sites. It comes with 100 free e-books but they are classics or fairly obscure books. It would be a big mistake to buy one only to find you were very limited to what you could buy and at around

Oh dear, I've done it again. I did a search and couldn't find anything (must have written it differently) so, sorry everyone, I guess I've come in late to this thread.:D

I wouldn't have known but for the fact I remembered posting about a friend who has one due to a disability which means that he finds it difficult to turn the pages on a 'normal' book.

...And it's good to have a new opinion, too. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Recentlly a new game came out on DS called '100 calssic book collection' it's got all the best classics on such as 'The Secret Garden' 'Sherlock Holmes' 'Mansfield Park' ect... its really cheap (about

Edited by Kell
Added caps and removed colour and font - please see rules and guidelines

I'm with Laura. The idea of reading a book on a normal sized computer feels me dread at the best of times, so having to read it on a screen the size of the DS would be even more of a nightmare.

It's a good idea though in theory. Just not for me.

I have this and I love it, just ploughing my way through Far From The Madding Crowd at the moment. It's very easy to use, read etc my only problem is the DS belongs to my daughter so I have to 'share' lol

How big is the writing on the screen though, like how many lines per page? I just have this vision of it only having like 5 words on the screen before you have to move it on. I can't get my head around how it works?

You turn the d.s onto it's side like you would hold a book and the text goes over both of the screens. Then you can pick your font size ,large or small. With the large text there is approx 7 lines on 1 screen and about 4 words to a line and with the small font there is about 5 word's to a line and 11 line's to one screen and that's just one screen obviously there are two screens of text. If you have any more question's just ask!

Edited by Nici
Added capitals and grammer

Just looking at a DS and reading from the screen on there. Call me weird but there's something about having a novel in your hands, turning the pages.

I think this is one of those things that some people love and some people hate. It does seem like an extremely convenient way to be able to read 100 different books, but I prefer actually holding the book and owning the book.