E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My views on them still haven't changed. I don't like the idea of reading off a screen and not having pages to turn etc. Also, I am like MuggleMagic and love books that you can see have been well read and enjoyed by people before you. That's also why the majority of my books are second hand. I also love getting a really unusual copy of a book, for example, I have the Hobbit which I want to read soon but when I was in my favourite bookshop I found an american copy which was a bit tatty and was printed in 1940.

I also love getting lost amongst the shelves in bookstores and it's kinda difficult and has a much less romantic kind of feel to it, browsing the 'shelves' online.

My views on them still haven't changed. I don't like the idea of reading off a screen and not having pages to turn etc. Also, I am like MuggleMagic and love books that you can see have been well read and enjoyed by people before you. That's also why the majority of my books are second hand. I also love getting a really unusual copy of a book, for example, I have the Hobbit which I want to read soon but when I was in my favourite bookshop I found an american copy which was a bit tatty and was printed in 1940.

I also love getting lost amongst the shelves in bookstores and it's kinda difficult and has a much less romantic kind of feel to it, browsing the 'shelves' online.

Nice points. I love books and getting lost in a book store and finding a gem is awesome.

I would be a little more wary of buying a Kindle after reading this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2223214
That is worrying, and the best possible reason why these devices should not be allowed to replace traditional books. If I owned a copy of a banned book, the thought police would have to come wrestle it from my cold dead hands in my own home to get rid of it; the idea that someone could press a button and delete that tassel of my free will at their will is chilling.

Not that we can get them in Australia anyway, but I would be a little more wary of buying a Kindle after reading this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2223214

They can take books back off your Kindle after you've purchased them! I hate the idea of them being able to do that. :lurker:

Yeah I did hear that, but those were illegal copies and the customers were refunded.

I'm interested to know why they didn't do the research to make sure the copies they were using were legal ones? That's a little disturbing.

It hasn't happened to me though. I've not bought any books that were older. The older copies I get from other sites that are in the public domain and email them to my kindle. Most of the books on my kindle are done that way.

• 2 weeks later...
For a long time Kindle was the only e-book on the market and it wasn't available in the UK. Now, all of a sudden, we have BeBook, Sony, e-bookman and Cybook, all available to buy here.

Been looking at BeBook today, a very interesting alternative to Sony Reader or Amazon Kindle. the main advantage of BeBook is it's aligned to the open source free book market, so supports a larger variety of formats.

Website here: http://mybebook.com/. So at first glance this dosen't seem to be a major contender but is quite versatile and definitely better suited to all the free online material out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an e-reader - a JetBook. The beauty is I can pop in my bag and go out and if I have spare time read a bit. As I tend to read long books its a boon - not having to carry round large books. However I still read books, and will continue to do so. It just depends on circumstances, sometimes its more convienent/practical to read a book especially if I'm close reading, other times I use the ereader. I see a place for both

They've never interested me. I don't think I'd enjoy them. It may just be me but the turning of the pages, immersing myself in the book, not into a machine.. it's just not something that's interested me. Maybe that will change. :D

They've never interested me. I don't think I'd enjoy them. It may just be me but the turning of the pages, immersing myself in the book, not into a machine.. it's just not something that's interested me. Maybe that will change. :D

I much prefer to read an actual book but I download the odd ebook to read at work during quiet spells. Of course, if the book's good then I tend to put my work off until the last minute so it's a bit counter-productive :lol: (and maybe a tad bit cheeky considering I'm not getting paid to read! :out:)

I think that they are ideal for folk that travel a lot and don't have much space in their luggage for books. But, when all I want to do is curl up on the sofa with a mug of hot chocolate and a rattling good yarn they would, for me, finish a poor second in comparison with a 'proper' book.

I read today that Sony has released another e-reader with wireless connectivity. There are also strong rumours that Apple are going to release a tablet-like device that will have ebook functionality. As a bit of an Apple fan, I am most interested to see what comes of this! Unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to get one anyway...

Me neither - I expect I will get one at some point though. I had an email from Waterstones today as well telling me about the new e-readers - one is a mini one and one has a touch screen and comes with a stylus for highlighting text and moving around the page. Better start saving !

• 1 month later...

I am a total gadget boy and in terms of pure gadgetry then these readers really intrigue me.The thing that i see as their downfall currently is that not all books are available yet, you cant get bargains like you do in the supermarket or in the bookstore, they all seem to be the one price and thats it even though there is no real cost to the publisher once it has been made but ofcourse the real benefit is that there has to be a significant benefit to the planet as there is not loads of paper needed for every book

Peter

I don't like reading online much - I've read a few books on Gutenberg and other sites but only if I absolutely cannot get my hands on the book! I know these new contraptions (Kindle, Sony Reader etc) are supposed to be easier on the eyes than reading on a computer monitor, but I doubt I'll be buying one soon - I just love having a real book in my hands and on my shelf!:lol:

I've tried the Sony e-reader, and can't say I like it at all. Pages take forever to turn over (or so it feels), and flicking back through just isn't the same. There's also a horrible sameness in the books themselves - all grey and dull.

However, the big no-no is that for the one thing it would be good for (travelling), all things electronic are awfully susceptible to breaking down, breaking or theft. So whilst I like some of the idea, I can't say I'm in a rush to buy one.

But then I've gone back to paper diaries and binned the electronic versions.

Amazon are releasing the Kindle globally today. (On the home page of Amazon). It has to be ordered from Amazon com and I think it comes with US adaptors so that would need to be looked into. The price is USD 279 and I think is still quite expensive compared to Sony e-reader pocket for

I didn't think the international version was out until the 19th. I must have got that wrong.

You're right June, it is 19 Oct but I believe you can pre-order. I think I'll want to see the price drop before I do anything about it.