Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

:D You know what I mean! The science is accurate (or as accurate as can be at the time of writing) and is integral to the story and characters.

I wasn't joking, though.  In fact I'd say it's another difference between science fiction and *cough* sci-fi *splutter* :D

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't joking, though.  In fact I'd say it's another difference between science fiction and *cough* sci-fi *splutter* :D

Yeah you're probably right, I have yet to read as much science fiction as i'd like and nothing as long as this yet so it is quite new to me.

• 2 weeks later...

944073.jpg The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

Synopsis

Inquisitor Glokta, a crippled and increasingly bitter relic of the last war, former fencing champion turned torturer extraordinaire, is trapped in a twisted and broken body - not that he allows it to distract him from his daily routine of torturing smugglers.

Nobleman, dashing officer and would-be fencing champion Captain Jezal dan Luthar is living a life of ease by cheating his friends at cards. Vain, shallow, selfish and self-obsessed, the biggest blot on his horizon is having to get out of bed in the morning to train with obsessive and boring old men.

And Logen Ninefingers, an infamous warrior with a bloody past, is about to wake up in a hole in the snow with plans to settle a blood feud with Bethod, the new King of the Northmen, once and for all - ideally by running away from it. But as he's discovering, old habits die really, really hard indeed . . .

. . . especially when Bayaz gets involved. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Glotka, Jezal and Logen a whole lot more difficult . . .

Review

I have been looking forward to starting this trilogy for a while, having listened to Red Country by Abercrombie before and read enough reviews about The First Law I knew what to expect... grittiness and lots of it. Having read (listened to) and loved his latest novel, I was interested to go back to his debut and see how they compare.

I wasn't disappointed, Abercrombie's style throws you right between fighting characters, making you feel every punch, kick and decapitation. It is refreshing to read a fantasy series with less world building and more character building, for that is definitely Abercrombie's strength with Inquisitor Glokta worth a special mention as my personal favourite but there are plenty of great characters to choose from.

A certain amount of the book was clearly devoted to setting up the rest of the trilogy and it feels Abercrombie was still trying to find his feet, I am looking forward to continuing with the series and seeing how it pays off.

Overall 8/10

Edited by Timstar

If i was to read an Joe Abercrombie book, which one would recommend I read first?

Steve might be the better person to ask, having read 5 out of 6 I believe. I certainly enjoyed Red Country more, but that may be because it is a whole story whereas The Blade Itself is the first 1/3. I have also heard great things about The Heroes.

I think it's probably best to start with The Blade Itself, otherwise the recurring characters in the later books won't mean so much.  The Heroes and Best Served Cold are my favourites that I've read so far, though  :smile:

It is refreshing to read a fantasy series with less world building and more character building

Couldn't have said it better.  It is refreshing, and he somehow still allows the world to grow without devoting page after page to exposition.  He's very much like David Gemmell in that regard (except grittier, bloodier and swearier :giggle2:  ).

Couldn't have said it better.  It is refreshing, and he somehow still allows the world to grow without devoting page after page to exposition.  He's very much like David Gemmell in that regard (except grittier, bloodier and swearier :giggle2:  ).

Yeah, it just seems to grow through the eyes of the characters. Still haven't read any Gemmell yet :hide:

Edited by Timstar

Yeah, it just seems to grow through the eyes of the characters. Still haven't read any Gemmell yet :hide:

It'll be interesting to see what you think, if and when you do read one of his books :smile:  Do you think you're starting to like the grittier modern fantasy more than the traditional old-style stuff?  Gemmell falls somewhere between the two, I think - it's not High or Epic fantasy, but it's not so-called Grimdark, either  :shrug:

Do you think you're starting to like the grittier modern fantasy more than the traditional old-style stuff?

That's a good question, I'm not sure to be honest. I'd say my single favourite fantasy so far is The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I guess falls somewhere in the middle but more towards the grittier end...

I really enjoyed The Belgariad and feel like I could get more into The Wheel of Time, but certainly won't enjoy it as much ASOIAF.

150px-Red_mars.jpg Red Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (Audio book narrated by Richard Ferrone)

Synopsis

Mars – the barren, forbidding planet that epitomises mankind’s dreams of space conquest. From the first pioneers who looked back at Earth and saw a small blue star, to the first colonists – hand-picked scientists with the skills necessary to create life from cold desert – Red Mars is the story of a
new genesis. It is also the story of how Man must struggle against his own self-destructive mechanisms to achieve his dreams: before he even sets foot on the red planet, factions are forming, tensions are rising and violence is brewing… for civilization can be very uncivilized.

Review

It begins with 'the first 100'. 100 men and women of varying nationalities and backgrounds, chosen for their select skills to colonize and terraform Mars. The first quarter of this substantial book takes us through the selection process then their training and voyage before descending to Mars.

For me, this seemed to read like a Stephen King book (his more recent work anyway), with the events taking a back seat to the characterisation, seeing normal people thrust into an extraordinary situation and watching how they cope. The ship and then the following areas they inhabit are described in vivid detail but only when it is important to story which stops it getting bogged down in pages upon pages of description. KSR never forgets that it is Science Fiction; the science is profound, accurate (to my knowledge) and integral to the plot, he doesn't shy away from describing the science behind things that don't exist (and probably never will) so even when you think 'that's impossible' he gives a solid explanation describing how it is possible.

KSR frequently sets up interesting philosophical arguments between the main characters, which ultimately become the basis for the in-suing conflict and thus we see the continual disagreement between those who believe Mars should be utilised as a resource for the struggling Mankind (Terrans) on Earth and those who believe there is intrinsic value in a barren but untouched landscape, and that it should be left well alone.

This is certainly one of the heavier SF I have read (there hasn't been tonnes though) and really enjoyed it. The characters are well flushed out and likeable yet like GRRM, Robinson isn't afraid of disposing of them casually. As well as the fore-mentioned science there is also plenty of philosophy, sociology, politics, economics. I believe a strong message is also conveyed in-directly about the nature of mankind; with Mars came a chance for a fresh beginning but the same old problems quickly arise leading to greed, famine, war and ultimately death.

The issue I had with it is that despite all the above it wasn't particularly exciting, even when something major happens that makes you sit up and pay attention, it kinda happens in an almost casual way as if it's just an inevitable event that the characters must go through. However I would give KSR the benefit of the doubt as it could of somewhat been down to the narrator never changing his tone or speed regardless of events, but some of it was certainly down to the writing.  Don't get me wrong I wouldn't expect a book like this to read like a thriller and I'm glad it doesn't, but the occasional step up in tempo, accompanied with a flare of emotions would really get you caring a bit more about the characters and the outcome. 

A great book, but not perfect.

Narration 6/10

Overall 8/10

Nice review! I read this book when I was 12-14 (translated in Dutch) and liked it. I own the English version and will (re-)read it sometime. I'm glad to hear you liked the book, it sounds like I'll enjoy it (minus perhaps the politics). Do you plan to read / listen to the other two books in the series?

I do seem to remember it being quite slow.  A lot of politics, too, which was interesting in some ways but made it quite a dry, uninvolving read in others.

Sums it up nicely :)

Nice review! I read this book when I was 12-14 (translated in Dutch) and liked it. I own the English version and will (re-)read it sometime. I'm glad to hear you liked the book, it sounds like I'll enjoy it (minus perhaps the politics). Do you plan to read / listen to the other two books in the series?

I will probably listen to the 2nd and 3rd but haven't bought them yet.

Time for some lists:

Former reading plan (now on hold):

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Cabal - Clive Barker
The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie
The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)
The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick
The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson
The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett
The Iron Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)
She Wakes - Jack Ketchum
Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Joyland - Stephen King

My Wife has recently read The Hunger Games trilogy and has persuaded me to as well so we can discuss them together... :P

So I have made a small plan with some light books to whizz through:

The Prestige - Christopher Priest
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Sharpe's Sword - Bernard Cornwell
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
Damned - Chuck Palahniuk
Behold the Man- Michael Moorcock

Finished The Prestige earlier, enjoyable and well written but I think I prefer the film  :o

My series and big reads for the year that I set up in January:

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan 2 of 15
The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss Up to date, abandoned
Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton Not started
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson Not started
First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie 1 of 3
Under the Dome - Stephen King Completed
Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin 3 of 5
Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding 2 of 3
Books of the Art - Clive Barker Not started
The Demon Cycle - Peter V. Brett Up to date
Malloreon - David Eddings Not started
Warlord Chronicles - Bernard Cornwell Not started
Milkweed Triptych - Ian Tregallis Completed
Codex Alera - Jim Butcher 2 of 6, abandoned

Getting through them very slowly but not as much progress as I would of liked.
Edited by Timstar

I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games trilogy! I look forward to hear what you think of them :).

Sorry to hear you haven't made as much progress as you'd have liked, with your series plan. It looks like an interesting plan though, I may have to do something like it next year but then with authors rather than series.. (if you don't mind, that is).

Edited by Athena

I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games trilogy! I look forward to hear what you think of them :).

Sorry to hear you haven't made as much progress as you'd have liked, with your series plan. It looks like an interesting plan though, I may have to do something like it next year but then with authors rather than series.. (if you don't mind, that is).

Thanks, will post my views shortly.

Don't mind at all, it's a good idea, reminds me every so often that I am aiming to complete certain series before starting more.

Sucker! :P  :giggle2:

:angel_not: ... yeah.... :unsure:

Not much updates from me lately, I will get some reviews written soon. I have been cracking on the small plan:

The Prestige - Christopher Priest
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Sharpe's Sword - Bernard Cornwell
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
Damned - Chuck Palahniuk
Behold the Man- Michael Moorcock

Now reading Catching Fire, I will review the series as a whole when I finish it, but so far it is enjoyable but not without its flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

3051698961_1_3_9hadNcDG.jpg

The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins

Synopsis

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before-and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

Review

Well first of all I owe Jennifer Lawrence an apology, I watched her in The Hunger Games and thought her performance wasn't great, she came across as a very bland character showing hardly any emotion despite all these things happening to her. But it turns out she played it exactly how the character is written. Katniss is a bit of a 'Mary Sue', and the descriptions of her never go into any real detail. She also gets more annoying as the books, acting like a petulant teenager for no apparent reason, and she realises she is doing this and then complains about that as well, without making any effort to cut people some slack. Not to mention the whole drawn out 'which boy do I choose?' scenario made her seem very immature.

I know the book is aimed at teenagers and maybe if I had read this ten years ago it wouldn't have bothered me so much. Saying this, I didn't hate them. They are good page turners and the world is an interesting albeit simple one. 

I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity for Collins (although I'm sure her bank account says different), if she had focused more on creating a detailed world and had come up with a decent plan at the beginning of where she wanted the story to go it could of been a lot better. The ending felt very rushed and lacklustre, there were times, when reading it, that I actually groaned out loud as the characters had made such bad decisions, from a writing point of view.

There are some interesting characters, especially Haymitch, Ceasar and Snow but they never get the opportunity to become great and memorable characters, just pushed to the sidelines for Katniss and her 'lovers'.

Catching Fire spoiler:

The worst moment in the whole trilogy comes when Peeta takes Haymitch's place in the Quarter Quell games, it would have been so much more interesting and dynamic to see her fighting alongside Haymitch but instead we just get the same as the previous book. Annoyed me greatly!

The first instalment was definitely the best and then they get progressively worse which is a real shame. I'm not looking forward to the next movies as much now, I also have no idea how they will split Mockingjay into two films with the lack of content in there. But I suppose if the Hobbit can become 3 long films then anything is possible.

The Hunger Games - 8/10

Catching Fire - 7/10

Mockingjay - 6/10

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

Nice review :)! I didn't really mind the character of Katniss, I quite liked her actually. I would've liked to see more detail on some of the characters you mention in your review. I agree with your spoiler.

I didn't know Mockingjay was becoming two films, that just seems stupid (just like it's stupid with The Hobbit and others..).

P.S. I'm a little bit jaleous of your covers. My copies of Catching Fire and Mockingjay look the same as yours (very pretty), but my copy of The Hunger Games has a different (lesser pretty) cover. If I see ever it for cheap I might buy it with the matching cover but so far I've only seen boxsets being sold.

I agree with much of what you said, especially the spoiler bit. I loved the concept (even though it rips off The Condemned, which also rips off Battle Royale), but was disappointed with the delivery. The love triangle really started to grate on me, and she drew it out to the point where I ended up not caring who she chose. I thought The Hunger Games was good as a standalone novel (except for the flat ending), and the last quarter or so of Catching Fire was entertaining, but I didn't like Mockingjay at all.

Do you think she made a mistake picking this story for a YA novel? I felt that she could have made it a lot more engaging with a bit more adult detail - graphic violence, sexual tension rather than teenage crush etc. (Or am a just a sick, sick person? ;) )

I loved the concept (even though it rips off The Condemned, which also rips off Battle Royale), but was disappointed with the delivery.

Yeah I agree but she 'claims' she had never heard of battle royale.

The love triangle really started to grate on me, and she drew it out to the point where I ended up not caring who she chose.

Yeah I felt exactly the same and

I didn't care at all when she finally did choose.

Do you think she made a mistake picking this story for a YA novel? I felt that she could have made it a lot more engaging with a bit more adult detail - graphic violence, sexual tension rather than teenage crush etc. (Or am a just a sick, sick person? ;) )

Well maybe you are... but I do agree. Whether she is capable of writing such a book I don't know, but I always thought it was silly having so much death and no blood (in the film). There is a bit more in the books especially Mockingjay but I doubt they will put it on screen.

Well maybe you are... but I do agree. Whether she is capable of writing such a book I don't know, but I always thought it was silly having so much death and no blood (in the film). There is a bit more in the books especially Mockingjay but I doubt they will put it on screen.

Yeah, the film really did tone it down . . . particularly the bit with the 'dogs' and the 'bloodbath at the cornucopia'. How can you have a bloodbath with no blood? :giggle2: