Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

It is my current 'reading at work' book, it's OK so far, it is a non-fictional account of his time hunting in Africa. Certainly not one for animal activists :hide: .

Oh :o Thanks for the tip!

What other Hemingway's would you recommend?

I would definitely recommend The Sun Also Rises, my favorite :) And The Old Man and the Sea :)

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely recommend The Sun Also Rises, my favorite :) And The Old Man and the Sea :)

Thanks I will check them out :)

Not much updates from me, not had much chances to read over the last week and it looks like it's only getting worse, really busy at work, having to do lots of overtime.

About half way through A Feast for Crows and two thirds through The Straight Razor Cure.

I did finish The Count of Monte Cristo audio book which is absolutely brilliant! Both the book and the narration. Straight away tops my favourite classics list and is a possible contender for my favourite book ever! :o This however means I now have to buy a paper book as well as trying to new Robin Buss translation, guess that means i'll have to buy the penguin version as well :doh: Christmas is soon however... :smile:

Highly recommend this to everyone who hasn't read it. Rightly deserves its place on my '50 books to read before you die' book mark :D

Totally agree, Tim. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my very favourites. Sadly, I lent my copy to my ex, who accidentally got it waterlogged. We broke up before he replaced it, so I don't have a copy now. :( It doesn't matter though. I had a cheap Wordsworth edition, and I'd like a really nice edition to replace it.

I'm also thrilled that you enjoyed Frankenstein and Rendezvous with Rama. Frankenstein and Dracula are among my absolute faves, and I really enjoyed RwR.

I did finish The Count of Monte Cristo audio book which is absolutely brilliant! Both the book and the narration. Straight away tops my favourite classics list and is a possible contender for my favourite book ever! :o This however means I now have to buy a paper book as well as trying to new Robin Buss translation, guess that means i'll have to buy the penguin version as well :doh: Christmas is soon however... :smile:

Highly recommend this to everyone who hasn't read it. Rightly deserves its place on my '50 books to read before you die' book mark :D

Got myself a free ebook of The Count of Monte Cristo after your recommendation  :smile: . So many classics I've never read  :blush2: . My ereader TBR is full of H G Wells, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Leo Tolstoy and Daniel Defoe, just to mention a few :giggle2:

Totally agree, Tim. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my very favourites. Sadly, I lent my copy to my ex, who accidentally got it waterlogged. We broke up before he replaced it, so I don't have a copy now. :( It doesn't matter though. I had a cheap Wordsworth edition, and I'd like a really nice edition to replace it.

I'm also thrilled that you enjoyed Frankenstein and Rendezvous with Rama. Frankenstein and Dracula are among my absolute faves, and I really enjoyed RwR.

"We broke up before he replaced it" or "We broke up because he didn't replace it..."? :giggle2: I'd love the nice folio or Barnes and Noble edition. Dracula is still on my TBR pile but I hear more mixed things about it then Frankenstein which seems overwhelmingly positive.

Got myself a free ebook of The Count of Monte Cristo after your recommendation  :smile: . So many classics I've never read  :blush2: . My ereader TBR is full of H G Wells, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Leo Tolstoy and Daniel Defoe, just to mention a few :giggle2:

Hope you enjoy it! I think a lot of people on BCF are in the same classics situation, including me. I have tonnes of classic authors I did to read.

I don't read a lot of SF, but I loved Rendezvous With Rama - are you planning on reading the rest of the series?

No plans at the moment, as it wasn't Clarke who actually wrote them and I didn't feel like it needed a sequel. But maybe when I finish some of my many other series that I have on the go and TBR I might come back to it. Have you read the sequels? Would you recommend them?

"We broke up before he replaced it" or "We broke up because he didn't replace it..."? :giggle2: I'd love the nice folio or Barnes and Noble edition. Dracula is still on my TBR pile but I hear more mixed things about it then Frankenstein which seems overwhelmingly positive.

Haha. :) Is this the Barnes and Noble one you're talking about? It's lovely.

No plans at the moment, as it wasn't Clarke who actually wrote them and I didn't feel like it needed a sequel. But maybe when I finish some of my many other series that I have on the go and TBR I might come back to it. Have you read the sequels? Would you recommend them?

I know this was directed at Michelle, but I'd like to put my two cents in, if I may.

I read all four books. I enjoyed them all, but there is a noticeable difference in the writing with those that were co-authored. While RwR focuses heavily on the science element and lacks a bit of characterisation (not necessarily a criticism), the others are more focused on the characters. You probably don't need to read them, especially if you don't want your reading experience of RwR 'tainted' by inferior sequels. That said, I quite enjoyed them.

Haha. :) Is this the Barnes and Noble one you're talking about? It's lovely.

I meant The Count of Monte Cristo Barnes of Noble version but the Frankenstein one is really nice as well!

I read all four books. I enjoyed them all, but there is a noticeable difference in the writing with those that were co-authored. While RwR focuses heavily on the science element and lacks a bit of characterisation (not necessarily a criticism), the others are more focused on the characters. You probably don't need to read them, especially if you don't want your reading experience of RwR 'tainted' by inferior sequels. That said, I quite enjoyed them.

Yeah that is what I have heard from others, don't necessarily think they will taint the first one. Just don't think they will add anything either. But they are on my wishlist, if they come down in price for the kindle I will pick them up.

Those Barnes & Noble leatherbound editions are gorgeous.  I thought about getting The Count of Monte Cristo, then I saw the size of it and got scared it would bring my shelves crashing down :hide:  :lol:  The paperback version is big enough as it is :D

Those Barnes & Noble leatherbound editions are gorgeous.  I thought about getting The Count of Monte Cristo, then I saw the size of it and got scared it would bring my shelves crashing down :hide:  :lol:  The paperback version is big enough as it is :D

That is an issue! Not mention finding space for it...

The Count of Monte Cristo is on my TBR, glad to hear several people enjoyed it :)! I have the Wordsworth edition.

:D Hope you enjoy it when you get around to it.

I've given up on The Straight Razor Cure (Sorry Laura), found it very boring and the main character un-relatable and un-likeable. Nearly every chapters opens with 'When I woke up...' or 'I woke the next morning...' or something like that followed by Warden travelling to a run-down slum and speaking to some unreputable  characters, it just became too tedious.

I think it also suffered from too many characters, all of which were under-developed.

Won't be trying a crime book again any time soon!

I've given up on The Straight Razor Cure (Sorry Laura), found it very boring and the main character un-relatable and un-likeable. Nearly every chapters opens with 'When I woke up...' or 'I woke the next morning...' or something like that followed by Warden travelling to a run-down slum and speaking to some unreputable  characters, it just became too tedious.

I think it also suffered from too many characters, all of which were under-developed.

Won't be trying a crime book again any time soon!

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, Tim. :( I can totally understand your gripes with it: I wasn't overly thrilled with the first half of it, but then it perked up towards the end. I agree with both the plot and the Warden being a bit underdeveloped, though he does improve on this slightly in the next ones. The second book was far better, and I've just finished the third one and thought it was brilliant - great ending.

Regardless of this, I'll be returning to more traditional fantasy after I'm done with NaNoWriMo. :D

Yeah I tried to keep that in mind as I was reading and gave it quite a few chances but it failed to grab me every time. :(

Fair enough. At least you gave it a good chance. :) Besides, the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things. :D

Fair enough. At least you gave it a good chance. :) Besides, the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things. :D

That is true!

In audio book news, I bought Republic of Thieves and Fall of Giants. My TBL pile is now:

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton (Started)

Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Fall of Giants - Ken Follett

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

In audio book news, I bought Republic of Thieves and Fall of Giants. My TBL pile is now:

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton (Started)

Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Fall of Giants - Ken Follett

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

x

Pandora's Star is on my TBR, as is Fall of Giants and Don Quixote. I believe the other two are on my wishlist. Great list! 

Ah okay.  Well I hope you enjoy it :smile:   But read Night's Dawn! :D

x

Thoroughly, thoroughly seconded!

a-feast-for-crows.jpg A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

Synopsis

More shenanigans from the colourful characters of Westeros.

Review

I was a bit apprehensive about reading this, the previous book in the series was so great and I had heard a lot of negative things about the latest two. A lot of the negativity came from either a lack of their favourite characters and the long wait, but neither of these bothered me. Obviously I didn't have to wait and I know the characters I missed from AFfC are in the next book which I won't have to wait six years for (despite a note from GRRM at the end saying it will only be a year  :giggle2: ). However, a lot of reviews also said that even looking past the previous annoyances the book is still very boring, that nothing much happens. I had never expected as much to happen as did in A Storm of Swords (otherwise there would be no characters left at all) but the reviews did dishearten me somewhat. 

So when I eventually got around to reading AFfC I started with fairly low expectations and i'm glad to report that it more than exceeded them. The quality of writing that brings the characters to life is maintained, it's the writing that makes dull events so captivating, a simple conversation gripping and tense. Despite a lack of some of the best characters such as Jon, Daenerys and Tyrion, there are still plenty of great characters here including Arya, Sansa, Jaime and a lot of Cersei. Other characters are also introduced and minor ones fleshed out.

I do think it was better to split the two books the way he did, if it had all the characters then nothing would have happened as each character would only have one or two chapters each per book. But that is probably easier for me to say now whilst I have access to A Dance With Dragons. 

It is understandable that there were less 'main events' in this book compared to the last, the characters are still finding out about them and coming to terms, I also assume that they are moving into place for the next lot of main events whatever they may be. Therefore I see AFfC and ADwD as mid-series bridging novels, some would argue that the bridge sags under it's own weight in the middle but at 850 pages I was never bored. I do think there were enough events to keep the stories moving, they just weren't on the same scale as previously. There were also lots of cliffhangers that had me looking ahead to see when the next chapter with the same character is... although it was often the last in the book... and they won't be in the next book  :doh:

I can understand why people were annoyed.

Certainly re-kindled my love for ASoIaF and dashed any doubts I had about the book. But as it didn't have the similar jaw-dropping awesomeness to ASoS then I can only give it:

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar