Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

Glad you think I may have a point... wasn't sure I did!  :giggle2:

Won't be too long before I read the next one, finishing off a couple of books and reading a Dexter novel, then gonna read Warbreaker before another light read then Last Argument :)

I look forward to seeing what you think of Last Argument. :) (Am I the only person around here who likes to read all the books by an author at once? :giggle2:)

Interesting.  I think maybe there are levels of it, with level 1 being at the lighter end (Grimdusk?) into which Erikson maybe fits (although some people seem to find his books unremittingly bleak, which I just don't get).  I tend to disagree that Abercrombie is taking it to new levels, though - I think he's just high profile right now and so is being used as the whipping boy along with Mark Lawrence.  I think GRRM has far worse things happen in his books than Abercrombie does, or Lawrence for that matter.  Shame his second middle name isn't 'Ian' cos then his initials would be perfect :giggle2:   By contrast I think Abercrombie always includes some light in the darkness, some hope for his characters, and plenty of humour, even if it is very dark humour.

I found this on Mark Lawrence's blog, which is quite amusing, and this on Joe Abercrombie's.  Worth a read  :smile:

Interesting blogs there - I see Mark Lawrence still has his fascination with polls and charts and diagrams. :giggle2:

You might be right - there's a group of newish authors that have been pushed to the forefront of modern dark fantasy (it's funny that they do all live in the same area), and the label 'grimdark' just happens to have become popular at about the same time. I suppose I associate Lawrence and Abercrombie with grimdark more because they're more dark and gritty on a continual level, whereas with Martin and Erikson it's more that there are dark moments amidst the rest of the story. And yet, there's plenty of humour all of these authors' books, especially Erikson and Abercrombie (not so much Martin's more recent stuff, but we won't get into that here . . .). I'm kind of going round in circles trying to explain myself, but I know what I mean in my head. :P

Sorry if this is side-tracking your thread, Tim. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just like a good discussion when other people actually read books I like. :giggle2:

ETA: I love the idea of a scale going from Grimdusk to Grimdark, Steve. Genius! I think we should rate all our fantasy on this scale from now on.  :giggle2:

Edited by Signor Finzione

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to seeing what you think of Last Argument. :) (Am I the only person around here who likes to read all the books by an author at once? :giggle2:)

Not at all, but I find I'm better off not doing that because I get author burn out too quickly.  I've often got to the last book in a trilogy and been disappointed more because I read them too close together than anything else.  I need to break it up with different books in between :shrug:

Cornwell's Warlord trilogy being the only notable exception recently, I think - I read them straight through and loved them :smile:

I suppose I associate Lawrence and Abercrombie with grimdark more because they're more dark and gritty on a continual level, whereas with Martin and Erikson it's more that there are dark moments amidst the rest of the story.

Definitely agree re Erikson.  GRRM just seems intent on putting his characters through misery after misery to me, with no hope of redemption  :lol:

ETA: I love the idea of a scale going from Grimdusk to Grimdark, Steve. Genius! I think we should rate all our fantasy on this scale from now on.  :giggle2:

If we do that we'll need a third option to balance the scale, I reckon.  Grimafternoon? :giggle2:

Not sidetracking at all, I love a good semantic discussion :D

Like Steve, I don't tend to read series straight through, although not because I would get author burn out, just because I don't have a big enough attention span. :giggle2:  I would be too eager to start reading something else whereas if I have a break I find I am eager to get back to it. At the moment not too eager about First Law but very eager to get back to Song of Ice and Fire (which I will do soonish). But that will change after a couple more books :D .

I suppose I associate Lawrence and Abercrombie with grimdark more because they're more dark and gritty on a continual level, whereas with Martin and Erikson it's more that there are dark moments amidst the rest of the story.

I agree, I think that's the point I was trying to make.

If we do that we'll need a third option to balance the scale, I reckon.  Grimafternoon? :giggle2:

Grimtwilight? :o

Not at all, but I find I'm better off not doing that because I get author burn out too quickly.  I've often got to the last book in a trilogy and been disappointed more because I read them too close together than anything else.  I need to break it up with different books in between :shrug:

I enjoy books more when I read them together as a series - I don't think I've ever suffered from author burnout. The only time I ever regret reading them all at once is when I get to the end and think "but I want MORE! Why has it finished??" :giggle2:

Definitely agree re Erikson.  GRRM just seems intent on putting his characters through misery after misery to me, with no hope of redemption  :lol:

Yeah, it's sort of become more like Eastenders,  hasn't it? :giggle2:

Not sidetracking at all, I love a good semantic discussion :D

Like Steve, I don't tend to read series straight through, although not because I would get author burn out, just because I don't have a big enough attention span. :giggle2:  I would be too eager to start reading something else whereas if I have a break I find I am eager to get back to it. At the moment not too eager about First Law but very eager to get back to Song of Ice and Fire (which I will do soonish). But that will change after a couple more books :D .

The only time I ever experienced that was when I did Literature at uni (except I never wanted to go back to most of the authors I read :giggle2:). I'd look at the reading list, groan, pick one up, read 20 pages, try the next one, read 20 pages, try the next one etc. It used to drive me mad because all the time I was thinking about the books I actually WANTED to read but didn't have the time to because I was being forced to read some arbitrary list of 'classic' b****cks. I guess you'd have the same thing when reading lots by the same author - it becomes a chore when you start thinking 'well, now I have to read the next in the series, and the next, and the next . . . '

I'll be very interested to hear what you think about the more recent Song of Ice and Fire books. :)

Grimtwilight? :o

Grimdawn? Grimlight? Grimcandle? Grimsummer? Grim . . . lamp? :o  ;)

I enjoy books more when I read them together as a series - I don't think I've ever suffered from author burnout. The only time I ever regret reading them all at once is when I get to the end and think "but I want MORE! Why has it finished??" :giggle2:

This is me with series too.

All this talk makes me more interested in Abercrombie and Erikson.

Warbreaker+UK.png Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

Synopsis

Warbreaker tells the story of two princesses, Vivenna and Siri. Vivenna was contracted through treaty to marry the God-King of rival nation Hallendren. Instead Siri is sent to meet the treaty. Vivenna then follows to Hallendren in hopes of saving Siri from her fate. Both sisters become involved in intrigues relating to an imminent war between their home nation of Idris and Hallendren.

Review

The main pull of Sanderson's books are the magic systems and Warbreaker is no different. It is fairly complex and most certainly unique. The book uses magic called, 'BioChromatic Breath', which allows mages to bring life to objects as well as provide benefits directly to the mages, such as perfect pitch, perfect color recognition, perfect life recognition, and agelessness. Use of BioChromancy drains the colors from surrounding objects and the less colorful an object is, the more difficult it is to apply BioChromancy to it

It is very refreshing to read a high fantasy book that is completely stand-alone, not a sequel, prequel, spin-off or even set in a pre-existing world. The story has a beginning, middle and end. We learn all about the magic, the world, the cities and the characters without the plot ever lagging. The characters are worth a particular mention, Sanderson is often accused of focusing more on the magic and forgetting about the characters, here I think he found a good balance. They all develop significantly and in a realistic way, I found them easy to connect and identify with, although some I preferred more than others, none were either irritating or pointless. My favourite was Nightblood, who/which was the sword of the underdog hero, which was either living or enchanted with a vain and humorous personality. It isn't explained what/who Nightblood is, and it doesn't need to be, he/it is funnier left to your imagination.

Behind all the characters there is a brewing war fuelled by religious differences which are based around the use of 'breath' and 'The Returned' who are a group of 25 people who have come back from the dead with a lot more 'breath' then normal. These 25 are known and treated as gods within Hallendren ruled over by a separate 'God King'. Whereas the people of Idris have a similar religion to Christianity in that they believe in 1 unseen God. I'm not sure if this was an attempt by Sanderson, a Mormon, to get some of his religious views across. If so it certainly wasn't obvious and didn't encroach on the story.

I am glad this is a stand-alone book, although intriguing the magic system wouldn't be good to develop any further, it works well in this form and if this had been the first of a trilogy I would have sighed and groaned when learning about the system and dreaded reading more.

It is a good solid read, didn't blow me away or leave me in awe desperate for a sequel, I preferred it over Elantris but the magic in Mistborn was much more interesting.

Overall 8/10

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson

Cabal - Clive Barker

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)

The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick

The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 3)

The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson

The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett

The Iron Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)

She Wakes - Jack Ketchum

Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis

On the Road - Jack Kerouac

Joyland - Stephen King

Plan Completed!

Only a few detours... :giggle2:

Oh you know, it's usually these geeky know-it-alls with too much time on their hands :lurker:   :giggle2:

:lol:

I've never heard you say it, so that's obviously not true  :P  :giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Great review of Warbreaker :). It's on my shelf but I think I'll read the Mistborn series first. Though I very much like the idea of a fantasy stand-alone book..

Congrats on finishing the plan :)! Are you going to make a new plan?

:lol:I've never heard you say it, so that's obviously not true  :P  :giggle2:

:o  I would never talk so ill of Brandon!  :P 

Great review of Warbreaker :). It's on my shelf but I think I'll read the Mistborn series first. Though I very much like the idea of a fantasy stand-alone book..

Congrats on finishing the plan :)! Are you going to make a new plan?

Thanks, I have actually already made and started a new one... whilst half-way through my previous one :doh:

I'll post it later.

Next plan:

A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 4)
The Iron Jackal - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 3)
Randevous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard
The Odyssey - Homer
The Rape of Nanking- Iris Chang
Double Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
The Sign of Four - Arhur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes 2)
Sharpe's Enemy - Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe 12)
Before they Are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie
The Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie (First Law 3)
Hearts in Atlantic - Stephen King
Beyond Lies the Wub - Philip K. Dick
The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell (Warlord Chronicles 1)
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Ultimate Weapon - Chris Ryan
Green Hills of Africa - Ernest Hemingway
Goldfinger - Ian Fleming (James Bond 6)
Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence (Broken Empire 1)

Quite a long one, aim is to finish before the end of the year.
Edited by Timstar

Congrats on finishing your reading plan! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on 'Feast for Crows' and 'Last Argument' (and all the others, of course). I'll also be interested to hear what you think of 'Frankenstein' - I remember it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be when I read it.

Also, I love how you have several plans on the go and that you mix-and-match between them. :giggle2:

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Cabal - Clive Barker
The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie
The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)
The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick
The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson
The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett
The Iron Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)
She Wakes - Jack Ketchum
Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Joyland - Stephen King

Plan Completed!

Only a few detours... :giggle2:

Wow, well done for finishing your reading plan! :) Did you go and take a look at how long it took you to finish? I personally think detours are more than justified, we can't always plan what we are in the mood for... :) Good luck with the next plan!

Wow, well done for finishing your reading plan! :) Did you go and take a look at how long it took you to finish? I personally think detours are more than justified, we can't always plan what we are in the mood for... :) Good luck with the next plan!

Hehe thanks, I didn't look at how long I'm not sure it would make me happy  :giggle:  My thoughts exactly, I even had a mini-plan that was inserted in the middle as well as overlapping with my new one, plus a load that weren't on any plan!

There's quite a few books in that that I read (and loved) or that are on my TBR or on my wishlist. I hope you enjoy the books :)!

Thanks, which ones did you love?

Congrats on finishing your reading plan! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on 'Feast for Crows' and 'Last Argument' (and all the others, of course). I'll also be interested to hear what you think of 'Frankenstein' - I remember it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be when I read it.

Also, I love how you have several plans on the go and that you mix-and-match between them. :giggle2:

Started Frankenstein this morning, good so far. I am also very interested in what I will make of a Feast for Crows, not heard much positive things, so it has been put off for a while.

They are more a rough outline then a plan  :giggle2:

Hehe thanks, I didn't look at how long I'm not sure it would make me happy  :giggle:  My thoughts exactly, I even had a mini-plan that was inserted in the middle as well as overlapping with my new one, plus a load that weren't on any plan!

Plans within the plans within the plans, I love it :D I'd be curious to see how long it took me to finish a reading plan, but then again, I know what you mean, it might be more depressing than inspiring... :D