Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

Thanks, which ones did you love?

x

Sorry, should've mentioned it straight away, shouldn't I :doh::D?

I loved The Dragon Reborn (but I guess you probably already knew that).

On my TBR:

Randevous with Rama (Omnibus)

The Odyssey (though technically seen I've read this and loved it since I translated quite a few parts of it myself for secondary school. Still, I haven't read my English copy of the book so that why it's marked as unread).

A Feast for Crows

The Sign of the Four (Omnibus)

Frankenstein

On my wishlist:

Dexter books

Joe Abercombie's First Law series

Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles

Stephen King and Philip K. Dick I have have books / a book of (TBR and/or read) and other ones are on the wishlist, however not the particular ones that you've mentioned (if I find them cheap though I'll most likely get them since I like both of those authors so far).

I look forward to see your reviews of all the ones I've mentioned (and of course the other ones too).

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9780007350964_p0_v3_s260x420.JPG Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Synopsis

Curious, ambitious and brilliant, Victor Frankenstein sets out re-animate flesh using electricity. His creation horrifies him and he sends him away, only to have his Brother murdered at the monsters hands. Now the monster wants a companion and he wants Frankenstein to make him one or he will keep killing.

Review

Being a big fan of horror I can't believe I hadn't read this before, on par with Dracula (which I haven't read either) to be the most famous horror story of all time. Saying this I didn't know fully what to expect with my only ideas of the story coming from black and white films and comic parodies. Although I wasn't expecting it to fit all stereotypes and pre-conceived ideas, I was surprised when the novel didn't fit any of them! Frankenstein isn't a maniacal scientist, locked up in a castle performing unholy experiments and screaming 'It's ALLLIIIVVVVE'. The nameless 'monster' (or fiend as it's more commonly referred to in the book) isn't a slow, stumbling, brainless creature with bolts in it's neck.

The story is told in epistolary form, opening with a series of letters from a Captain Walton to his sister, Walton's ship has become encased in ice whilst exploring the North Pole. In the fog he sees a dog sled driven by an inhumanly large figure. A short time later they rescue a nearly frozen Frankenstein who claims he was in pursuit of the previous figure. Frankenstein then proceeds to tell his story to the Captain.

Beginning in his youth, the start of Frankenstein's story moves very quickly, showing us his interests in science, his education and experiment to make the monster all within the first 30 pages. After the creatures escape it slows down a little and we really get a great insight into the thoughts and feelings of Frankenstein, he is completely disgusted with himself and what he has created, even before it kills anyone, and he takes this out on the monster. And it is for these reasons that Frankenstein becomes the real villain of the story, the monster wasn't made evil, he is turned evil after being shunned and feared by everyone including his maker for simply existing.

It is when the monster catches up to Frankenstein and has a chance to tell him his story of how he learnt speech and that happiness comes from companionship that the reader really begins to sympathise with the creature, even more so after Frankenstein refuses to make him a companion. The monster is described as having super-human speed and strength and is capable of the same levels of articulation as the well educated Frankenstein which was the most surprising giving the modern idea of Frankenstein's Monster.

At only 200 pages long, as well as the still poignant social commentary, the novel is crammed full of horror and suspense but mostly heart, all told in an eloquent prose that is simply joyful to read. The only thing I would change would be the opening of Frankenstein's story to include more motives for his experiments and more science, although I'm not sure how much scientific education an early nineteenth century woman would of had...?

A terrific read that I whole-heartedly believe deserves its place in literary history.

Overall 10/10

Edited by Timstar

Wow, you certainly enjoyed Frankenstein :D Great review Timstar! I dare say that you shall enjoy Dracula, too... Not that those books are similar, other than in that they are both classic horror novels. I thought Dracula was far superior to Frankenstein, but that's just my opinion. I hope you get to reading D soon, too! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's pretty strange after seeing all the films, eh? :giggle2: I enjoyed Dracula even more than Frankenstein, but the epistolary format isn't to everyone's taste. Well worth a read, though. :)

I have a sudden urge to re-read Frankenstein now. :D

I have a sudden urge to re-read Frankenstein now. :D

That's true, but other than the letters at the beginning and end most of Frankenstein reads like a normal story. Although at one point you have Inception-esque layering with a story, within a story, within a story, within a letter  :giggle2:

Finishing reading Ultimate Weapon by Chris Ryan, supposedly his best book. I did enjoy it in a mindless page-turner sort of way. The premise was interesting, it was set during the pre-iraq war era involving the search for WMDs. It was a simple linear plot that didn't go over-the-top until the ending. Also had a prominent Cambridge setting which is always good fun to read.

Overall 8/10

Now started Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie :)

last-argument-of-kings-by-joe-abercrombi Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie

Review

I'll forego a synopsis, simple to say it is the final book of The First Law trilogy and continues in much the same fashion as the previous two.

Just a short review for this as there really isn't much that can be said without repeating myself from the previous reviews. Although I feel the same quality of writing was maintained for the final instalment, I did think that it was a bit longer than necessary, especially the ending which takes over 100 pages to wrap things up. The whole book just felt at a bit of a slower pace when compared to The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged.   It also felt like certain characters such as West and Ferro were pushed to the sidelines a bit and as such we don't get the full benefit of their set-ups over the course of the trilogy. It was nice seeing a bit more of Cosca (one of my favourite characters from Red Country), plus he had something to do in this novel. Logen Ninefingers and Glokta continued to shine as the best characters from the trilogy, whom Abercrombie appears to write for effortlessly.

We're treated to the same levels of grittiness and black humour that we're already accustomed to, as well as plenty of character driven scenes to make you grimace and be grateful that you're not in their shoes.

Not my favourite of the trilogy but a good solid ending to it.

Overall 8/10

I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if you didn't find it as enjoyable as the others. I remember it had a 'bigger' feel to it when the events turn out to be more 'epic' than they first seem, and I also seem to remember a couple of revelations at the end caught me pleasantly off-guard.

I've said this before, but for me Glokta and Ninefingers are two of the best literary creations I've ever read. :)

Best Served Cold is my favourite Abercrombie ever, though. :D

Best Served Cold is my favourite Abercrombie ever, though. :D

I felt pretty much the same way about it, Tim - solid but unspectacular, and it left me wondering what all the fuss was about.  The next two books have belatedly put that right :smile:

That's good, those are the only two I haven't read yet  :D

I've had to add three more books to my current plan  :lurker:

Green Hills of Africa - Ernest Hemingway

I'm happy to see Hemingway on the plan :cool: I've not read that book myself, yet, so I'm looking very much forward to hearing how you like it :)

51TEcrXrB2L._.jpg Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

Synopsis

It's 2130 and Rama, a cylindrical space vessel 50km long by 20km wide has arrived in our solar system. Humanity do not know what it is or where it has come from, only that it is artificial and is passing through our solar system before heading out into deep space again. The only human spaceship that can reach it in time is the Endeavor with its commanding officer Bill Norton.

Review

It's been a while since I've read some hard SF and I can tell I really missed it. I've said before that Clarke is very much an 'ideas' man and Rendezvous with Rama contains some of his best. Although it's impossible to relate to what some of the astronauts experience as they enter and explore Rama, Clarke describes it with such vivid detail and marvellous prose that it easy and joyful to imagine. For example: Rama is hollow and spinning on it's cylindrical axis, this creates gravity on the inside at the base and all around the edge via the centrifugal forces. The entrance is at the end in the centre where there is no gravity. Clarke explains how, as they descend/ascend towards one of the edges (it can't be described as the top or bottom) gravity begins to take hold and it gradually becomes the floor. There is also a sea in the middle that spans the circumference, this means the sea appears to them to rise on both edges and carry on all the way around to ceiling above them, meeting in the middle. 

Apologies if that doesn't make much sense, I find it difficult to simply sum up the ideas but Clarke makes them so clear and interesting.

As with his other books I have read, the characters are there to experience Clarke's inventions and relate them to the audiences, we get a real feel for their sense of awe and curiosity but we ultimately struggle to relate to the characters at all as they don't express emotion. Although the story as a whole may suffer slightly for this and put some readers off, the ideas certainly don't. There are numerous cliff hangers that keep the readers glued to the pages in the way that thrillers strive for.

A fantastic, thrilling read that makes you think and question what you know about physics. My favourite Clarke so far.

Overall 9/10

Glad you enjoyed it, Tim.  I think it's my favourite of his that I've read so far, too.  I haven't read any of the other Rama books yet, though, as I don't think Clarke actually wrote them himself :smile:

Glad you enjoyed it, Tim.  I think it's my favourite of his that I've read so far, too.  I haven't read any of the other Rama books yet, though, as I don't think Clarke actually wrote them himself :smile:

Yeah I'm not especially bothered about them, it wasn't left on a cliff hanger and the unanswered questions leave a satisfying sense of wonderment as oppose to a need to read more.

I'm happy to see Hemingway on the plan :cool: I've not read that book myself, yet, so I'm looking very much forward to hearing how you like it :)

It is my current 'reading at work' book, it's OK so far, it is a non-fictional account of his time hunting in Africa. Certainly not one for animal activists :hide: .

What other Hemingway's would you recommend?