Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

A bit too busy to write any proper reviews at the moment, so here is just a few updates.

The Sign of the Four - A.C Doyle - Overall 7/10

The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan - Overall 6/10

Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard - Overall 5/10

Now reading Goldfinger by Ian Fleming which is great so far!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan Update:

A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 4)
The Iron Jackal - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 3)
Randevous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 3)
Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard
The Odyssey - Homer
The Rape of Nanking- Iris Chang
Double Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
The Sign of Four - Arhur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes 2)
Sharpe's Enemy - Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe 12)
Before they Are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie
The Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie (First Law 3)
Hearts in Atlantic - Stephen King
Beyond Lies the Wub - Philip K. Dick
The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Ultimate Weapon - Chris Ryan
Goldfinger - Ian Fleming
Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
Green Hills of Africa - Ernest Hemingway

The Odyssey may be replaced by King of Thorns as I might be getting a nicer copy of Homer's books for Christmas :D

The Winter King - Bernard Cornwell

Steve's just convinced me to put this on my wishlist. :D

The Odyssey may be replaced by King of Thorns as I might be getting a nicer copy of Homer's books for Christmas :D

Whoo to new Homer, and whoo to King of Thorns! It's my favourite of the three. :D

A bit too busy to write any proper reviews at the moment, so here is just a few updates.

The Sign of the Four - A.C Doyle - Overall 7/10

The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan - Overall 6/10

Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard - Overall 5/10

Now reading Goldfinger by Ian Fleming which is great so far!

x

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy these reads all that much :(. I guess The Wheel of Time is not for everyone. I have the Sherlock Holmes book unread on my shelf. I hope your next reads will be more enjoyable :), maybe read a book of which you're pretty sure you're going to like it?

Steve's just convinced me to put this on my wishlist. :D

Whoo to new Homer, and whoo to King of Thorns! It's my favourite of the three. :D

Well done Steve :) I've heard great things about it.

I have reserved a copy of KoT at the library, hopefully get it soon.

Do tell!  Is it the Barnes & Noble leatherbound edition?  :smile:

I wouldn't know  :giggle2:

x

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy these reads all that much :(. I guess The Wheel of Time is not for everyone. I have the Sherlock Holmes book unread on my shelf. I hope your next reads will be more enjoyable :), maybe read a book of which you're pretty sure you're going to like it?

I guess not, but i'm still hoping I will enjoy the next couple. I enjoyed Sherlock Holmes but it wasn't as good as the first book.

Empire of the Sun had some good points, it captured the youthful naivety very well, but lacked any kind of emotional response to the drastic events the boy goes through. 

9781780620855.jpg The Iron Jackal - Chris Wooding

Synopsis

Join the crew of the Ketty Jay on their greatest adventure yet: a story of mayhem and mischief, roof-top chases and death-defying races, murderous daemons, psychopathic golems and a particularly cranky cat.

The first time was to clear his name. The second time was for money. This time, Frey's in a race against the clock for the ultimate prize: to save his own life.

Review

I'd been looking forward to reading this for a while, I loved the second instalment, The Black Lung Captain, which is one of my favourite reads this year. And though it wasn't quite as good, it didn't disappoint. Filled with brilliant characters, sharp wit, and imaginative creatures, The Iron Jackal is pure fun!

Tonnes of fantastic moments but the one that stands out the most is, what can only be, a homage to the Star Wars Pod race. We also get to see a lot more of Silo and his back story. The rest of the crew also continue to develop in amusing but realistic ways.

If you enjoy the concept and you enjoyed either of the first two then you will love this as well. Highly recommended.

Overall 9/10

I gotta ask... Your missus being a member and an avid reader... How does it go in the house of the Timstar and better half? Do you buy each other books as pressies? :)

Aww how sweet of you to ask :) We're doing really well at the moment, Kate is in the midst of her Masters degree which means she has no time for any of her own reading, which is why she has been absent of late.

Funds are a bit short at the moment so we haven't being buying each other presents lately but i'm sure there will be plently of books for Christmas :)

Aww how sweet of you to ask :) We're doing really well at the moment, Kate is in the midst of her Masters degree which means she has no time for any of her own reading, which is why she has been absent of late.

Ah yes, she's gotta be head deep in study mode, and no recreational reading :(  Good luck to her on it, she'll be thrilled when it's over and she can read whatever she likes again :)

Funds are a bit short at the moment so we haven't being buying each other presents lately but i'm sure there will be plently of books for Christmas :)

That's good to hear, an Xmas without a few bookish pressies is not recommendable. :)

Fab review, so tempted to add it to mount tbr  :smile:  About Retribution Falls, Karsa I believe you didn I rate it much? I was planning on reading that one too however I got mixed reviews and was slightly put off?

Edited by shelley.s

Fab review, so tempted to add it to mount tbh :smile:  About Retribution Falls, Karsa I believe you didn I rate it much? I was planning on reading that one too however I got mixed reviews and was slightly put off?

No, I did like it.  Can't remember what I said about it, but it would've been a 7 or 8 out of 10  :smile:

I believe it was "Retribution Falls is okay. It's kind of like Firefly, but with planes instead of spaceships. I didn't find it so compelling that I needed to go out and buy the sequel, though  :shrug:"  :giggle2:

Edited by shelley.s

I believe it was "Retribution Falls is okay. It's kind of like Firefly, but with planes instead of spaceships. I didn't find it so compelling that I needed to go out and buy the sequel, though  :shrug:"  :giggle2:

There you go :lol:  And I haven't bought the sequel, so I was right :lol:

Can't believe you went and looked that up  :giggle2:

The_Winter_King.jpgThe Winter King - Bernard Cornwell

Synopsis

In the dark ages, a legendary warrior struggles to unite Britain . . .

Uther, the High King of Britain, has died, leaving the infant Mordred as his only heir. His uncle, the loyal and gifted warlord Arthur, now rules as caretaker for a country which has fallen into chaos - threats emerge from within the British kingdoms while vicious Saxon armies stand ready to invade. As he struggles to unite Britain and hold back the Saxon enemy, Arthur is embroiled in a doomed romance with beautiful Guinevere. Will the old-world magic of Merlin be enough to turn the tide of war in his favour.

Review

To-date I have read over 20 Bernard Cornwell's including 15 of the Sharpe books, as well as the Grail trilogy and a number of others. Over these books I have certainly noticed a distinct style, an easy-to-read, fun and somewhat lighthearted style. However, if I hadn't known this was a BC book, I wouldn't have recognised it, it is head-and-shoulders above everything else I have read of his.

The Arthurian legend is fairly well known, or at least the clichés we always hear about; Knights and the round table, medieval castles and armour, the holy grail etc. However, as BC points out in the afterword, very little is known about Arthur, not even whether he existed or not. But he goes on to say that if he did exist it certainly wouldn't have been in the crusades or medieval period, it would have been in the dark ages. So BC has stripped away all the mythical non-sense and grounded in firmly in the 5th Century, this means that knights didn't exist, castles weren't grand and made of stone, and there is no lady-of-the-lake and wizards.

There is still plenty of content related to Arthur though, Merlin is present but as a wise druid, Guinevere is his preistess, Galahad and Lancelot are fellow warriors. As it is set in the Dark ages we also get invading Irish and Saxons, warring clans, competing religions and multiple kings. BC even goes back to what most of the areas were called 1500 years ago including Ynys Wydryn (Isle of Avalon, Glastonbury)

As I said before, the best thing I found was the quality of writing, it is simply brilliant! Can't wait to read more.

Overall 10/10

:D   Great review, Tim!  Makes me want to read it all over again  :D

ETA:  I just looked, and it's two years to the day, and almost exactly to the minute, since I posted my review of it.  How bizarre  :giggle2:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

:D   Great review, Tim!  Makes me want to read it all over again  :D

ETA:  I just looked, and it's two years to the day, and almost exactly to the minute, since I posted my review of it.  How bizarre  :giggle2:

That is strange! wish I had posted it a few minutes earlier now :P

I also thought the action was notably different, his battles scenes, whilst great, tend to give more of an overview as well as the personal view of the character, TWK battles felt a lot more gritty and close up, you could feel every slash and shield charge.