Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

I have The Wheel of Time on my TBR, even bought the first book. It's good to read some reviews here about it...although I'm still unsure whether to start it or not. 

I've been in the same boat for a long long time.

I was the same before I started it, but I was persuaded into it and have since been persuaded to stick with it. Hope it's worth it in the end!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

black-lung-195x300.jpg The Black Lung Captain - Chris Wooding

Synopsis

Darian Frey is down on his luck. He can barely keep his squabbling crew fed and his rickety aircraft in the sky. Even the simplest robberies seem to go wrong. It's getting so a man can't make a dishonest living any more.

Enter Captain Grist. He'sheard about a crashed aircraft laden with the treasures of a lost civilisation, and he needs Frey's help to get it. There's only one problem. The craft is lying in the trackless heart of a remote island,populated by giant beasts and subhuman monsters.

Dangerous, yes. Suicidal, perhaps. Still, Frey's never let common sense get in the way of a fortune before. But there's something other than treasure on board that aircraft. Something that a lot of important people would kill for. And it's going to take all of Frey's considerable skill at lying, cheating and stealing if he wants to get his hands on it...

Strap yourself in for another tale of adventure and debauchery, pilots and pirates, golems and daemons, double-crosses and
double-double-crosses. The crew of the Ketty Jay are back!

Review

I loved this book, from the first page to the last. It is simply tremendous fun and superbly written, it would have me laughing out loud on one page and on the next I would be on the edge of my seat desperate to read on. It had me almost in tears at the funeral of a character who had never even been in the book!

The characters, introduced in the first book, are now expanded on and we see their relationships develop in a very real and believable way. My favourite was the mutual animosity between the fighter pilot 'Hawkins' and 'Slag' the ships cat, and we see it from both their point of views. :giggle2: 

Every character has their own distinct personality without conforming to stereotypes. The story has perfect pacing, never boring and never going over the top, Wooding remembers to bring it back to the characters as they are the heart and soul. I cannot think of a single thing I didn't enjoy about it.

Blurring the lines between Fantasy and Science Fiction, The Black Lung Captain is a triumph that will appeal to everyone. I cannot wait to read more Wooding!

Overall 10/10

I was the same before I started it, but I was persuaded into it and have since been persuaded to stick with it. Hope it's worth it in the end!

I will keep an eye on the reviews then! I've also decided to start the series, as soon as I'm done with the current read :) 

I will keep an eye on the reviews then! I've also decided to start the series, as soon as I'm done with the current read :)

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

I finished The Pillars of the Earth audio book by Ken Follett and narrated by John Lee, at over 40 hours long it is a brilliant, epic historical fiction. The scale and scope are incredible, the whole story is very well thought out with genuinely horrible moments that almost made me feel sick. There was clearly a lot of research gone into it, especially on 12th century cathedrals and churches.

I have been meaning for a while to get into some other historical books and I will definitely be reading/listening to more Follett.

Overall 10/10

I also read Joyland by Stephen King, which isn't much longer then some of his short stories. It is enjoyable but nothing ground breaking compared to his last few novels. A carnival-based whodunit story King-style. Not quite up to his usual standard, especially the characters as they don't have a chance to develop over the mere 200 pages.

Overall 6/10

I loved The Pillars of the Earth. It's one of my favorite books and I must be due for a re-read soon! I vaguely remember there being a mini-series on BBC a few years ago, but unfortunately never managed to watch it.

It sounds like Joyland is one to miss then.

I loved The Pillars of the Earth. It's one of my favorite books and I must be due for a re-read soon! I vaguely remember there being a mini-series on BBC a few years ago, but unfortunately never managed to watch it.

I found it on Netflix and am now half way through the series. It doesn't begin to do the book justice. At 8 hours for the whole series there is still loads cut out, and it seems to be mainly the motivation of the characters, I understand their motivations after reading the book but if you hadn't read it it wouldn't make much sense. They have also added random scenes and pieces of extra story for no apparent reason. It has also been 'toned' down a lot in terms of the violence which is understandable for TV I guess but it loses all its shock value and makes you love the good characters and hate the bad ones.

It is still interesting seeing it bought to life though. So I will watch the rest of it.

It sounds like Joyland is one to miss then.

You certainly wouldn't be missing much. Probably just one for the die hard King fans.

b6bf25bb48d103e861b1060114a839a2.jpg Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis

Synopsis

The history of the Twentieth Century has been shaped by a secret conflict between technology and magic. When a twisted Nazi scientist devised a way to imbue ordinary humans with supernatural abilities - to walk through walls, throw fire and see the future - his work became the prized possession of first the Third Reich, then the Soviet Army. Only Britain's warlocks, and the dark magics they yield, have successfully countered the threat posed by these superhuman armies.

But for decades, this conflict has been manipulated by Gretel, the mad seer. And now her long plan has come to fruition. And with it, a danger vastly greater than anything the world has known. Now British Intelligence officer Raybould Marsh must make a last-ditch effort to change the course of history - if his nation, and those he loves, are to survive.

Review

Thus completing the Milkweed Triptych, Necessary Evil is a not perfect but fine and satisfactory conclusion to to Tregillis' first work.

All the pieces, that Tregillis spent the first two books creating, nicely fall into place. A brilliant blend of historical fiction, sci-fi and fantasy with perfect pacing kept me glued to the book for hours on end.

The reason it's not quite perfect is that it didn't leave me as awestruck as The Coldest War did. Everything was tied up in a neat bundle which is great but doesn't provide 'shock' value.

Still a great piece of work and a great trilogy.

Overall 9/10

Ian's website states that his next work will be a book called Something More Than Night, not giving much away all it says is:

"...a Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler-inspired murder mystery set in Heaven, starring swell dames and femmes fatales, Seraphim and Cherubim, dirty priests and the Voice of God."

I will certainly look out for this!

Glad you enjoyed it, Tim.  Agree with you that it wasn't as good as The Coldest War.

Ian's website states that his next work will be a book called Something More Than Night, not giving much away all it says is:

"...a Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler-inspired murder mystery set in Heaven, starring swell dames and femmes fatales, Seraphim and Cherubim, dirty priests and the Voice of God."

I will certainly look out for this!

Interesting! :smile:

Finished reading Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum, he isn't known for particularly long stories but this was even shorter then regular. The plot and characters were weak and the book was lacking of any real horror. There was one good portion, when they actually played hide and seek it was very tense but ultimately anti-climatic. This was only his second book but definitely not up to the standard I have read so far. Even his first book was much better. Overall - 5/10

The first five Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell are only £1.49 in paperback on Amazon so I snapped them up, plus the sixth for £3.85. I believe the seventh is also coming out soon. I've heard great things about the series.

The first five Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell are only £1.49 in paperback on Amazon so I snapped them up, plus the sixth for £3.85. I believe the seventh is also coming out soon. I've heard great things about the series.

:o

I've only got the first one so far - thanks for the heads up!

<<heads over to Amazon>>

:o

I've only got the first one so far - thanks for the heads up!

<<heads over to Amazon>>

:) Great deal isn't it!

Though I take no responsibility for your TBR pile :hide:

Some of his others are cheap as well, including the Warlord Chronicles, a couple of his stand-alone books and for some reason the 2nd and 3rd books of the Holy Grail trilogy, but I have all those already. :D

the-shrinking-man.jpg The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson

Synopsis

While on a boating holiday, Scott Carey is exposed to a cloud of radioactive spray. A few weeks later, following a series of medical examinations, he can no longer deny the extraordinary truth. Not only is he losing weight, he is also shorter than he was. Scott Carey has begun to shrink.

Review

This is a fantastic book! Gripped me from page one. The story unfolds in a non-chronological order, after seeing Scott get hit by a radiation 'wave' it skips to him being less then an inch tall, living in a cellar, sucking the moisture out of sponges and being terrorised by a Black Widow. These scenes are interspersed with the scenes of his gradually, relentless shrinking. 

Matheson portrays the events with remorseless logic. The doctors and reporters all want a piece of him whilst being pushed away by his Wife and Daughter who can do nothing for Scott. Scott himself is no hero, we see him descend into frustration, anger and self-pity as he descends towards the floor. He doesn't go down bravely, he doesn't go down fighting, he goes down sulking. This, in my opinion, is a much more realistic reaction that most people would probably have, especially after the humiliation he endures.

Matheson doesn't shy away from the tough questions either, the concept of suicide comes up repeatedly to Scott but he doesn't do it, he doesn't know why he doesn't either. He knows he has nothing to live for and will ultimately die anyway, but he would rather go through the motions and cling on to every breath he can get. Again I believe this makes the character very relate-able. Matheson also addresses the issue of Scott's sexual frustration, as you'd expect in the common man whose Wife treats him like a boy. There is also a vague scientific explanation for his shrinkage as well.

The Shrinking Man is a brilliant thrilling tale and at nearly 60 years old hasn't even begun to show signs of aging.

Overall 10/10

Edited by Timstar

^ That was a bloody great review, and it might not be my usual kind of book to read, but I'm kinda interested in reading it! I might actually add it on my wishlist... Although I should definitely read my already-own copy of I Am Legend by Matheson... :blush:

Edited by frankie

^ That was a bloody great review, and it might not be my usual kind of book to read, but I'm kinda interested in reading it! I might actually add it on my wishlist... Although I should definitely read my already-own copy of I Am Legend by Matheson... :blush:

Aww thanks!

and yes...yes you should!

I've added The Shrinking Man to my wishlist. Shame it's not available on Kindle yet. I'm surprised I haven't read it before as the title is so familiar to me. Maybe I have heard it mentioned a lot previously - I suppose it's a sort of classic, isn't it?

I've added The Shrinking Man to my wishlist. Shame it's not available on Kindle yet. I'm surprised I haven't read it before as the title is so familiar to me. Maybe I have heard it mentioned a lot previously - I suppose it's a sort of classic, isn't it?

Maybe you're thinking of Running Man by Richard Bachman... :giggle2::lol: No, I seriously don't think that's it :D

It is part of the sci-fi masterworks collection so it is kinda a classic of the genre.

It was adapted for the screen by Matheson but named The Incredible Shrinking Man and starred Charlton Heston. I also believe many of the re-printed editions were renamed that as well after the film was a success.

Now time for some lists....

Reading Plan

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson
Cabal - Clive Barker
The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)
The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie
The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)
The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick
The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson
The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett
The Black Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)
She Wakes - Jack Ketchum
Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Joyland - Stephen King

Books read this year:

Paper - 37

Kindle - 7

Audio - 8

Total - 52

I also have two challenges that I am slowly chipping away at. One is 50 books to read before you die which I have printed on my book mark. The other was that I thought I would try and go through the Hugo Award winners.

50 Books to read before you die                                                           Hugo Award winners (by year)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien                              1953 - The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester 
1984 by George Orwell                                                                   1954 - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen                                         1955 - They'd Rather Be Right by Mark Clifton 
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck                     and Frank Riley (also known as The Forever Machine)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee                                          1956 - Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte                                                        1958 - The Big Time by Fritz Leiber
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte                                            1959 - A Case of Conscience by James Blish
A Passage to India by EM Forster                                           1960 - Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding                        1961 - A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr
Hamlet by William Shakespeare                                1962 - Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
A Bend in the River by VS Naipaul                                    1963 - The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald                           1964 - Way Station by Clifford Simak
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger                                           1965 - The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath                                                 1966 (tie)- And Call Me Conrad by Roger Zelazny
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley                                                 1966 (tie) - Dune by Frank Herbert
The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank              1967 - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes                                               1968 – Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
The Bible                                                                               1969 - Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
The Cantebury Tales by Geofrrey Chaucer               1970 - The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Ulysses by James Joyce                                                                  1971 - Ringworld by Larry Niven
The Quiet American by Graham Greene              1972 - To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks                                                 1973 - The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
Money by Martin Amis                                                       1974 - Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling                                         1975 - The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
Moby Dick by Herman Melville                                                        1976 - The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame    1977 - Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pulman                                   1978 - Gateway by Frederik Pohl
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy                                                       1979 - Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll      1980 - The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier                                                    1981 - The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time-Mark Haddon  1982 - Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh
On the Road by Jack Kerouac                                                      1983 - Foundation’s Edge by Isaac Asimov
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad                                            1984 - Startide Rising by David Brin
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope                                  1985 - Neuromancer by William Gibson
The Outsider by lbert Camus                                                        1986 - Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
The Colour Purple by Alice Walker                                     1987 - Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
Life of Pi by Yann Martel                                                               1988 - The Uplift War by David Brin
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley                                                       1989 - Cyteen by C. J. Cherryh
The War of the Worlds by HG Wells                                             1990 - Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway                            1991 - The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift                                             1992 - Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens                              1993 (tie) - A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain                                                  1993 (tie) -Doomsday Book by Connie Willis 
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe                                              1994 - Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson 
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey                       1995 - Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller                                                       1996 - The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas                        1997 - Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden                                        1998 - Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman
The Divine Comedy by Alghibri Dante                                1999 - To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde                            2000 - A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
                                                                                         2001 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
                                                       2002 - American Gods by Neil Gaiman
                                                   2003 - Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer
                                                                     2004 - Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
                                                                                   2005 - Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
                                                    2006 - Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
                                                      2007 - Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge
                                                                                    2008 - The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon 
                                                               2009 - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 
                                                                   2010 (tie) - The City & The City, China Miéville 
                                                                  2010 (tie) - The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi 
                                                          2011 - Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis
                                               2012 -Among Others by Jo Walton

So not that many read, but I am only passively working through them.

Edited by Timstar