Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to Wool at the moment, and I agree so far. Part 1 was really good, and to my mind, made a good short story. Since then, it's been rather slow, and I'm close to giving up.

Glad someone else agrees! no one on Amazon appears to. Let me know you're final thoughts if you finish or give up.

Started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card which has been on my TBR pile for ages, really enjoying it!

Has anyone read the sequels or other series in the same world?

I've not felt constricted, but I think I made it too long meaning other things came along that I wanted to read before getting round to finishing the plan

Well, one can always add to the list, I guess it's everyone's own business how they deal with their plan, if they feel like going strictly by it or if they allow removing and adding :)

The title grabbed me as well. I would highly recommend it! Listening to the sequel now and it too is amazing.

Thanks, I'll certainly think about it :)

She is stuck on Pinterest... and her Kindle ran out of battery :giggle2:

She needs a new battery, then! :D

It is good yeah, I watched the film at the weekend, wasn't bad but they cut out so much important stuff. Had no chance to live up to the book.

Oh yes, they left out a whole lot of things. And I think I always had it in my head, reading the book, that Polly Chalmers was black? Not that it matters, but it was weird seeing a Caucasian Polly in the movie. You've just read the book, was Polly described as black? I could be totally wrong. Anyhow, it was a decent movie, but yes, the book's so much better.

Started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card which has been on my TBR pile for ages, really enjoying it!

Yeah, I've read the two immediate sequels, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide.  I enjoyed them very much at the time, 20+ years ago, but - since recommending them quite widely for a long time - I have dropped them from my list, having learned more about the man himself.  He'll get no more of my money  :irked:

The movie of Ender's Game is out later this year - a trailer was released recently.

Yeah, I've read the two immediate sequels, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide.  I enjoyed them very much at the time, 20+ years ago, but - since recommending them quite widely for a long time - I have dropped them from my list, having learned more about the man himself.  He'll get no more of my money  :irked:

The movie of Ender's Game is out later this year - a trailer was released recently.

Just saw the trailer, it doesn't look a lot like the book so far but maybe that will change, I like Harrison Ford as Graff.

I assume you're talking about his outspoken homophobia, I was very annoyed by that as well. I certainly won't pay a penny for a new book and I was reluctant to read Ender's Game after hearing about it but it is commonly in the top 10 sci-fi lists so I decided to go for it.

May try a couple of the sequels from the library or second hand shops.

Well, one can always add to the list, I guess it's everyone's own business how they deal with their plan, if they feel like going strictly by it or if they allow removing and adding :)

I like that thinking :)

Oh yes, they left out a whole lot of things. And I think I always had it in my head, reading the book, that Polly Chalmers was black? Not that it matters, but it was weird seeing a Caucasian Polly in the movie. You've just read the book, was Polly described as black? I could be totally wrong. Anyhow, it was a decent movie, but yes, the book's so much better.

I didn't think she was... I might have missed that. She was younger than I was picturing her in the book especially considering she has such bad arthritis .

I just didn't like they missed out the entire Ace Meryl story, would love to see Keither Sutherland back in that role! he would be the suitable age about now as well :D

I didn't think she was... I might have missed that. She was younger than I was picturing her in the book especially considering she has such bad arthritis .

I just didn't like they missed out the entire Ace Meryl story, would love to see Keither Sutherland back in that role! he would be the suitable age about now as well :D

Naah, if you don't remember Polly being black I'm sure I must have made that up myself. I don't know how or why, but I must have :D (I bought a secondhand English copy a few years ago, so I'll get to re-reading it some day, and then I'll read it very, very carefully :hide: )

King has such a talent for making three dimensional characters, in my opinion. I remember when I was reading the book as a teenager, and I could almost feel my own hands starting to ache when I was reading about Polly. She and Alan Pangborn are two of my most favorite characters by King! (One cannot forget Tom Cullen in The Stand!!) However, it was such a long time ago that I watched the movie that I'd forgotten about them leaving Ace out :o That's some serious, thoughtless editing! Haha Kiefer would do good :D He's quite oddly one of the few who can be equally convincing as the bad guy and as the good guy. He's so great in 24, always saving the day, and yet there was this old movie of his I accidentally watched in 2006, where he played this really violent and vicious rapist. Good lord it was very very disturbing!

Edit: I like it how you two refuse to support a homophobic author, eventhough you wouldn't mind reading his books :)

Edited by frankie

I assume you're talking about his outspoken homophobia, I was very annoyed by that as well. I certainly won't pay a penny for a new book and I was reluctant to read Ender's Game after hearing about it but it is commonly in the top 10 sci-fi lists so I decided to go for it.

It used to be up near the top of my list, too.  It's a great book.  Shame about the author.

If I recall, Speaker for the Dead was pretty good, but I gave up on Xenocide (I do that alot! lol) Ender's Shadow was also good.

King has such a talent for making three dimensional characters, in my opinion. I remember when I was reading the book as a teenager, and I could almost feel my own hands starting to ache when I was reading about Polly. She and Alan Pangborn are two of my most favorite characters by King! (One cannot forget Tom Cullen in The Stand!!)

Haha Kiefer would do good :D He's quite oddly one of the few who can be equally convincing as the bad guy and as the good guy. 

King's characters are always the best! Although rarely relate-able they have qualities, that King pushes to the limit, that you can often see in others. 

Kiefer Sutherland is my favourite actor, he has such a versatile range!

I might look up a couple of the sequels from the library at some point then.

I started made a second plan list for when I finished the first but ended up starting books from it anyway... here are both

Plan 1 update:

Sharpe's Battle - Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe 12)

Under the Dome - Stephen King

Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold - Geroge R.R. Martin (Song of Ice and Fire 3)

Dr. No - Ian Fleming (James Bond 5)

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy

Diary of Anne Frank

Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller Chronicles 2) - Abandoned

The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle 2)

The Pheonix Rising - Richard Sanders (Pheonix

Conspiracy 2)

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson

Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding (Tales of Ketty Jay 1)

Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher (Codex Alera 1)

Cabal - Clive Barker

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie

The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)

Plan 2

20th Centuty Ghosts - Joe Hill - Started

The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick - Need to buy

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - Started

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 3)

Domain - James Herbert (Rats 3)

Dexter is Delicious - Jeff Lindsay (Dexter 5)

The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson

Bitter Seeds – Ian Tregillis

The Coldest War – Ian Tregillis - Need to buy

Necessary Evil – Ian Tregillis - Need to buy

The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett - Awaiting Library Reservation

Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher (Codex Alera 2)

The Iron Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)

She Wakes - Jack Ketchum

On the Road - Jack Kerouac - Started

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill - Need to buy

Edited by Timstar

King's characters are always the best! Although rarely relate-able they have qualities, that King pushes to the limit, that you can often see in others. 

Yep. And King really builds on his characters, there's more to them than meets the eye on the surface. I think some of King's best characters are the kids in It. I could really see them as real people with problems with bullies, parents and girls. :)

Kiefer Sutherland is my favourite actor, he has such a versatile range!

Yeah, he can even knit! :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot he was there! It's a great picture, I love his serious expression and that he's knitting a gun cosy.  :rolol:

You know, before I realised it was a gun cosy, I thought both he and you had gone soft in the head... :lol:

Finished Ender's Game and Red Seas Under Red Skies audio book, reviews coming soon.

Starting Academ's Fury tonight.

Totals this year:

Paperbook: 22

Kindle: 4

Audio book: 6

Total: 32

Which isn't bad but not as good as I hoped.

x

Ender's Game is on my TBR (I own one other book by the author, Shadow's Giant). I can understand what you mean about supporting the author, I bought both books on a book fair where they sell books that shops can no longer sell (or do not want to sell). I look forward to your thoughts on the book, Tim.

Yep. And King really builds on his characters, there's more to them than meets the eye on the surface. I think some of King's best characters are the kids in It. I could really see them as real people with problems with bullies, parents and girls. :)

x

I love the characters in It! The book has been on my TBR-soon pile for a while now ('re-read'), I would like to read it but I would also like to read Game of Thrones and atm I'm in the mood for something shorter and lighter after reading our May Book Club read (The Crimson Petal and the White)

Lynch+-+Red+Seas+Under+Red+Skies.jpeg Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch (Audio book read by Michael Page)

Synopsis

Escaping from the attentions of the Bondsmagi Locke Lamora, the estwhile Thorn of Camorr and Jean Tannen have fled their home city.
Taking ship they arrive in the city state of Tal Varrar where they are soon planning their most spectacular heist yet; they will take the luxurious gaming house, The Sinspire, for all of its countless riches.

No-one has ever taken even a single coin from the Sinspire that wasn't won on the tables or in the other games of chance on offer there.

But, as ever, the path of true crime rarely runs smooth and Locke and Jean soon find themselves co-opted into an attempt to bring the pirate
fleet of the notorious Zamira Drakasha to justice. Fine work for thieves who don't know one end of galley from another.

And all the while the Bondsmagi are plotting their very necessary revenge against the one man who believes he has humiliated them and lived; Locke
Lamora

Review

New city, new names, new plan... Same rotten luck.

After the amazing The Lies of Locke Lamora finished without the real need for a sequel I was both excited and worried to get started with Red Seas. There was no need to worry, the sequel keeps the series at a brilliant high without ever feeling unnecessary.

The first half of the book follows the familiar mixed chronology that we saw in the first book, this allows us to jump straight into the action, then after settling down in the city of Tal Varrar it begins to explore the intervening period as well as a couple of 'reminiscent' chapters that fans of Father Chains will love. Things are not any easier in the new city for Locke and Jean as we see them get thwarted and manipulated just as much as they try to manipulate others.

As you can tell by the name a good portion of the book is set at sea, which provided a great challenge for both Lynch and his characters and he pulls it off brilliantly. There may not be as much nautical expertise as you would expect from the likes of Patrick O'Brian or Bernard Cornwell, but given that Locke and Jean know nothing about sailing or pirating we are introduced to it all through their eyes and their struggle to learn it all in such a short time. This method really works and Lynch definitely knows his stuff.

The plot is fantastic, rich and detailed, full of amazing characters that always leave an impression one way or the other. The story is full of twists and turns that even though it gets very complicated at one point it never trips over itself so to speak. The story was clearly well planned out from the beginning and Locke and Jean fully recognise the situation is as ludicrous as it it becomes. The story is very much based upon these two characters and their friendship which is built up further from the first book.

The only negative I would have, and it is a minor one, is that the story wraps up a bit too fast. Other than that it was very good, but not quite as good as the first one. I felt it didn't tug at my heart strings quite as much and wasn't quite as suspenseful, but only in a small way. It still did tug and suspend much more than many books i've read.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

Nice to know he maintains the standard.  Not sure when I'll get to this one, but I look forward to it.  I much, much prefer that cover art to that of the UK paperback.

endersgame.jpg Ender's Game -Orson Scott Card

Synopsis

Ender Wiggin is Battle School's latest recruit. His teachers reckon he could become a great leader. And they need one. A vast alien force is headed for Earth, its mission: the annihilation of all human life. Ender could be our only hope. But first he must survive the most brutal military training program in the galaxy...

Review

I know I say this a lot but I didn't know what to expect with this book. I tend to look up and learn about a book, decide I want it, see it and buy or borrow it then by the time I get round to reading it I have forgotten what it was about. I also rarely read blurbs, simply because I forget beforehand. So I can't really say it wasn't what I was expecting... so I'll say it wasn't what I had anticipated.

The story follows closely with the life of Ender Wiggin, seen from inside his mind as he is abruptly taken from his home and put into battle school, in a space station, at the age of 6. He has been specially selected and as such he his subjected to, almost cruelly, daily tasks of increasing difficultly. Ender excels way beyond his class mates and we see his skills develop as they the school try to think of more challenges for him.

Most of the training occurs in the form of battles between two teams, in zero gravity with 'stun' guns that freeze and immobilise whoever is hit. Using this idea Card creates many ingenious tactics for Ender to use that obviously required to not only understand zero gravity physics but also fully understand his own creation.

Apart from a few chapters focusing on his Brother and Sister back on Earth the book is centred around Ender and as such allows the reader to be fully absorbed in the character, feeling sympathy for his constant trials, feeling the love for his friends and annoyance (or indifference) at his enemies.

A great sci-fi that finds the rare working combination of ideas and characters that should appeal to old and new sci-fi fans a like.

Overall 9/10

Glad to hear you liked it! Nice review :). It's the first in a series, right? Does it end or is it more open-ended? What I mean is, is it necessary to read the whole series in one go, or can I read the first book as standalone? I don't own the other books in the series, so wondering if I should buy them all first or whether I can just read the first one. Normally I prefer to have all books in a series before reading it.