Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ender's Game has been added to the wishlist!

Edited by Devi

BitterSeedsBookCover2012.jpg Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis

Synopsis

The year is 1939. Raybould Marsh and other members of British Intelligence have gathered to watch a damaged reel of film in a darkened room. It appears to show German troops walking through walls, bursting into flames and hurling tanks into the air from afar.

If the British are to believe their eyes, a twisted Nazi scientist has been endowing German troops with unnatural, unstoppable powers. And Raybould will be forced to resort to dark methods to hold the impending invasion at bay.

But dealing with the occult exacts a price. And that price must be paid in blood.

Review

This is a novel and author I have been excited about reading since I first heard of it last year. The concept just grabbed me straight away. It reminded me of the recent flurry of Nazi-centred B-movies (Iron Sky, Dead Snow, Nazis at the Centre of the Earth), that are generally enjoyable but such low-budget they can't achieve what they are attempting. A novel obviously won't suffer from this at as long as it's an interesting story with interesting characters, which Bitter Seeds certainly has.

After reading this I re-read Steve's review of it and basically agreed with his points. This is very much a character driven book to which the supernatural elements almost take a back seat to. The characters themselves are superb and steeped in morale ambiguity that would make George R.R. Martin proud (and i'm guessing it did given his high endorsement, although they do belong to the same New Mexico writing club...)

There were two elements I was surprised yet pleased about, the first was that despite Tregillis being an American there are no Americans in it! The majority of the book is set in war time London which Tregillis captures incredibly and clearly did his research. There's an interview with him at the end of the book in which he states he had only visited London twice before writing this and that was a long time ago. The English mannerisms and personalities are not stereotyped or clichéd, nor the Germans for that matter.

The second element was how intelligent it felt given the subject, British Warlocks vs Nazi Psychics sounds more like a teenage comic book. But if you didn't know much about the Nazis and WWII you might struggle with some of this as the historical events in which it is centred around are not explained in their events or significance, it is taken as read that the reader knows enough to keep up. This I found very refreshing and I think it allowed him to get on with the characters and alternative history.

I had a feeling I would like this and yet I enjoyed it for unexpected reasons which was a nice surprise. I am very impressed by this debut novel and can't wait to read The Coldest War which has just been ordered. :D

Overall 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Dexter is Delicious which is probably one of my favourites so far, now about half way through NOS4R2 by Joe Hill and is already his best book yet.

I got Joyland by Stephen King and The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick today as well.

Ender's Game should be read as a one off. I didn't really like the sequels. :(Speaker for the dead, Xenocide, Children of the mind.)

BitterSeedsBookCover2012.jpg Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis

There's an interview with him at the end of the book in which he states he had only visited London twice before writing this and that was a long time ago. The English mannerisms and personalities are not stereotyped or clichéd . . .

I think that's why I found the lapse into Americanisms so distracting in the third book.  He'd maintained the 'Britishness' of the characters so well for two books, then suddenly it all flew out of the window.  No idea why :shrug:

I think that's why I found the lapse into Americanisms so distracting in the third book.  He'd maintained the 'Britishness' of the characters so well for two books, then suddenly it all flew out of the window.  No idea why :shrug:

Ah that's a shame, I suppose they ride into save the day 5 years after the start of the war.... not that I'm bitter or anything :doh:

Ah that's a shame, I suppose they ride into save the day 5 years after the start of the war.... not that I'm bitter or anything :doh:

No, nothing like that, it was the British characters suddenly using words like 'snuck' and 'billfold' and 'sidewalk'.

• 2 weeks later...

NOS-4R211-669x1024.jpg NOS4R2 - Joe Hill

Synopsis

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4R2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

Review

I have been following Joe Hill for a while now as he as a great presence on Twitter and Tumblr. I heard about it over ago and followed the release and even went to his first UK talk and signing regarding it. Hill described it as his first epic work, and similar to his Dad's 'IT', is stretched out over a 30 year period. Needless to say I was very excited about this reading this. Although I really enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

The story is remarkably original and complex, I couldn't find any synopsis that was shorter than 3 paragraphs without leaving half the story out. Even though Hill creates a vivid and fascinating picture he still forces you to use your imagination as the bizarre world and events unfold, there was simply no frame of reference in mind to relate it to.

Manx is a deliciously evil character who resolutely believes he is doing the right thing, which grounds the character in reality. His 'sidekick', Bing, is also a much more typical evil, who likes his job as it involves hurting others and fulfilling his desires. Bing's devotion to Manx was reminiscent of 'Trash can Man's' to Flagg in King's The Stand.

Speaking of Stephen King, Hill has included a few nods to his work including a child eating monster in Derry, and a Man in Black, as well as a few nods to Hill's own work.

I think it may have been hyped up a bit too much for me, I was expecting something along the same standard as 'IT' and The Stand. I did enjoy it a lot, but in a easy-to-read sort of way as oppose to epic scale. Hill's characterisation is not quite up to his Father's standard yet but it is improving, especially in his antagonists. There also simply weren't enough characters and events to make the book to the scale I was hoping for.

The book was mostly creepy, sometimes terrifying and always fun. His best work yet.

Overall 9/10

I've added NOS4R2 to my wishlist. I like that it spans 30 years - for some reason that appeals to me. I have to admit to not getting very far with Heart-Shaped Box, and since then I haven't even bothered to take note of anything else he has written. This one sounds good though, so I shall keep an eye out for it.

9d86c9f6ebf638d0fc7dfacf71997651.jpg Domain - James Herbert

Synopsis

The long-dreaded nuclear conflict. The city torn apart, shattered, its people destroyed or mutilated beyond hope. For just a few, survival is possible only beneath the wrecked streets - if there is time to avoid the slow-descending poisonous ashes. But below, the rats, demonic offspring of their irradiated forebears, are waiting. They know that Man is weakened, become frail. Has become their prey . . .

Review

The third and final book in Herbert's 'Rats' trilogy really pushes it to the next level. I loved Rats due to his uninhibited brutality to any of the characters, at any time. The sequel, Lair, wasn't anything particularly original but still enjoyable. Domain, on the other hand, introduces a game changing element, the atomic bomb. London is devastated by not one but five atomic bombs, seen through a number of first hand accounts in this continuing style from the previous two. Chapters are devoted to creating an everyday character/s just to have them killed off in the blink of an eye.

The story settles down and a few survivors escape to a government facility, but not before being attacked, by giant rats. Herbert is remorseless towards his characters, suffering hardship after hardship, their situations continuously go from bad to worse in cringing-ly horrible ways. For the most part it felt like a horror film, when you know something bad is about to happen but you can't look away.

A quick but not easy read at times, if you enjoyed Rats but were put off a bit by Lair, I highly recommend coming back to the series with Domain.

Overall 9/10

Edited by Timstar

I'm trying to remember if I read Domain.  I thought I'd read all the Rats books, but that description isn't ringing a bell at all.  Maybe I only read the first two :unsure:

Domain is the only title I am missing from my rats trilogy collection! Your review makes me want to push the series up the tbr pile.

I've added NOS4R2 to my wishlist. I like that it spans 30 years - for some reason that appeals to me. I have to admit to not getting very far with Heart-Shaped Box, and since then I haven't even bothered to take note of anything else he has written. This one sounds good though, so I shall keep an eye out for it.

I've put NOS4R2 on my wishlist.

:) Hope you guys enjoy it!

I finished The Bourne Identity audio book which wasn't as good as I was hoping for. The narrator, Scott Brick, was almost terrible, any worse and I wouldn't have been able to listen, it took me much longer than normal cause I wasn't bothered about it. He was just so slow at reading it... and without much enthusiasm or particularly good voices.  This certainly lowered my opinion of the book but even putting that a side it still wasn't great. Far too slow moving to be a thriller, and even though it is a complex story everything is spelled out.. several times.

There were times when characters were talking and as the reader I have fully grasped the implications of what was being said but the characters haven't so when they say 'explain that to me' or 'I don't understand...' I would sigh in frustration. Unlike in a normal book you can't really skip ahead without knowing you haven't missed anything important. There are also several sentences that must have been repeated 30 odd times... slowly,  throughout the book as Bourne tries to remember things. As well as other sentences that characters would repeat what someone else just said...slower! :banghead:

Maybe my opinion would differ if I had read it, I do own the trilogy in paperback but not at my current address so I might give The Bourne Supremacy a go sometime but i'm in no rush.

I prefer the film, there I said it!

Narrator - 5/10

Story - 6/10

Finished Dexter is Delicious which is probably one of my favourites so far, now about half way through NOS4R2 by Joe Hill and is already his best book yet.

I'm so happy you enjoyed the Dexter book, I think it's by far the best in the series. It was hilarious at times :lol: Like when

Dexter was drugged and he discovered love.

Very, very funny :D

I can't talk about the TV series because I've only watched the first two seasons, which is, of course, killing me, very much. :(

:( I've been watching it on Netflix, can you get that in Finland?

I started The Skinner audio book by Neal Asher but I just couldn't get into it, the narration isn't great which might be putting me off but nothing seems to be happening at all! It is recommended by Steve so I might give the paperback a go at some point but for now I start The Pillars of the Earth audio book by Ken Follet which is brilliant.

I started The Skinner audio book by Neal Asher but I just couldn't get into it, the narration isn't great which might be putting me off but nothing seems to be happening at all!

Sounds like another negative for audio books!  Try reading it.  Asher's books are the definition of 'action packed' :smile: