Tim's Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Reads from 2012

Timstar

:( I've been watching it on Netflix, can you get that in Finland?

Yeah I could get that, but the thing is, if I get it, I'll only watch things on it for the one free month and do absolutely nothing constructive :giggle2: I'll have to leave it til I've graduated :giggle:

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a nice fantasy masterworks copy of Shadow and Claw, volume 1 of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe tucked away at the back of a Cambridge music store, which comprises of the first two books of the series.

Finished No Country for Old Men which is my third and favourite McCarthy so far. Now started The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan.

I hope you like the book! The Wheel of Time series is one of my favourite fantasy series, I do understand though that they're not everyone's cup of tea (so to speak).

It is quite tedious so far but i'm sure I will get into it more soon.

I merged the two plans I had into one:

PLAN:

WarBreaker - Brandon Sanderson

Cabal - Clive Barker

The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 2)

The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie

The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King (Dark Tower 8)

The Man in the High Castle - Phillip K. Dick

The Dragon Reborn - Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time 3)

The Shrinking Man - Richard Matheson

The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett

The Iron Lung Captain - Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay 2)

She Wakes - Jack Ketchum

Necessary Evil - Ian Tregillis

On the Road - Jack Kerouac

Joyland - Stephen King

I just deleted the gaps between unread books and it is a coincidence that all the books beginning with 'The' are together.

Edited by Timstar

isbn9780356501703-detail.jpg Ian Tregillis - The Coldest War

Synopsis

For decades, Britain's warlocks have been all that stands between the British Empire and the Soviet Union - a vast domain stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the shores of the English Channel. Now each warlock's death is another blow to Britain's national security.

Meanwhile, a brother and sister - the subjects of a twisted Nazi experiment to imbue ordinary people with superhuman abilities - escape from a top-secret facility deep behind the Iron Curtain. They head for England, because that's where former spy Raybould Marsh lives. And Gretel, the mad seer, has plans for him.

As Marsh is once again drawn into the world of Milkweed, he discovers that Britain's darkest acts didn't end with the war. And while he strives to protect queen and country, he is forced to confront his own willingness to accept victory at any cost.

Review

I actually finished this about two weeks ago and have been thinking about what to write about it. Still don't really know to be honest.

I really enjoyed it, maybe not as much as Steve did though. I do, however, generally agree with most of what he said about it. It is an improvement over Bitter Seeds, he really found his flow in this book and the ideas and execution are spot on. I very much liked the down-play of the action and science-fiction in lieu of the characters and their interactions.

It's the middle book of a trilogy that normally suffers the most but in this case it was a good step up from the first. A short break before reading the final book, A Necessary Evil.

Overall 9/10

I must of missed something or forgotten... which scene?

Oh dear . . . facepalm.gif  :lol:

Have a look at the scene where Raybould goes back in time, jumps out the window, and hears Gretel's voice inside.  Then go and check out page 137/138 of the first book.

Taking a break from the tediousness of The Great Hunt to read The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding, it is very refreshing to read a book where something actually happens and the characters feel like real people!

I will have another crack at TGH soon, but if it doesn't get better soon I won't be finishing it.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying TGH, Tim.  I felt the same way about it, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone else :(

The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding, it is very refreshing to read a book where something actually happens and the characters feel like real people!

A) I know exactly what you mean!  and B) looking forward to hearing what you think about the Ketty Jay book, as I've only read the first one to date :smile:

Hi Tim! Just catching up on your thread—I've been so far behind lately, so please excuse me for talking about stuff that might be a couple of months old!

It's a shame you didn't like Wool. I have it on my wishlist and will still read it one day (anything dystopian goes onto my wishlist by default), but at least I'll know not to have high expectations for it. I gather you won't be reading the sequel then?

I recently learnt about Orson Scott Card's homophobia too. Very disappointing. Apparently the makers of the movie are distancing themselves from him because they're afraid it will have a negative effect on sales. Too right. I was planning on going to see it, but I'm going to boycott it now. I have a copy of Ender's Game (the book) and I'm glad to know that I only bought it secondhand.

It was really funny! Also just finished season 4 of the series :o

The show gets better and better, especially in seasons 6 and 7. There are plenty more :o moments ahead for you! :D

Hi Tim! Just catching up on your thread—I've been so far behind lately, so please excuse me for talking about stuff that might be a couple of months old!

And here I thought you didn't love me!  :giggle2:

It's a shame you didn't like Wool. I have it on my wishlist and will still read it one day (anything dystopian goes onto my wishlist by default), but at least I'll know not to have high expectations for it. I gather you won't be reading the sequel then?

Not gonna be reading the sequel no, I like dystopian novels as well. I picked up a Kindle Daily deal a while back called Flowertown but haven't got round to reading it yet, looks good though.

I recently learnt about Orson Scott Card's homophobia too. Very disappointing. Apparently the makers of the movie are distancing themselves from him because they're afraid it will have a negative effect on sales. Too right. I was planning on going to see it, but I'm going to boycott it now. I have a copy of Ender's Game (the book) and I'm glad to know that I only bought it secondhand.

It's a shame because on one hand it's a horrible thing to be but on the other it shouldn't affect how people see his work... Hitler's paintings were actually quite good but he's never gonna be remember as an artist. OK bad example but you get the idea.

The show gets better and better, especially in seasons 6 and 7. There are plenty more  :o moments ahead for you!  :D

:) glad to hear it, just started season 5.

Timstar, on 07 Jul 2013 - 06:36, said:

And here I thought you didn't love me! :giggle2:

I bet you didn't even notice I was gone. :P (Or worse, you could have been relieved that I was gone!)

Not gonna be reading the sequel no, I like dystopian novels as well. I picked up a Kindle Daily deal a while back called Flowertown but haven't got round to reading it yet, looks good though.

Flowertown looks like it could be interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

It's a shame because on one hand it's a horrible thing to be but on the other it shouldn't affect how people see his work... Hitler's paintings were actually quite good but he's never gonna be remember as an artist. OK bad example but you get the idea.

Huh. I didn't know Hitler was an artist himself. I thought he just stole everyone else's stuff.

I still plan on reading Card's books and watching the movie; I just won't be paying for it. ;)

I bet you didn't even notice I was gone. :P (Or worse, you could have been relieved that I was gone!)

:flowers2: welcome back!

Huh. I didn't know Hitler was an artist himself. I thought he just stole everyone else's stuff.

hitler-painting.jpg

I still plan on reading Card's books and watching the movie; I just won't be paying for it.  ;)

ditto

111684.jpg The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan

Synopsis

The Wheel of Time continues with this second instalment. It is a race against time to recover the stolen Horn of Valere and mystical Dagger which is linked to the fate of our hero's friend, Mat. But the elusive Padan Fain is not to be hunted so lightly.

Review

Still not sure whether I actually liked this book or not, I certainly enjoyed some aspects of it, especially the final quarter where things actually start to happen, but getting there was very tedious.

The first 200 pages, nothing happens at all, I was very close to giving up. Almost every single conversation went the same way...

Aes Sadai - "Rand, you are the Dragon Reborn, you must fight the dark one and save the world"

Rand - "No I'm not, I'm just a Shepard"

Aes Sadai - "It is your destiny"

Rand - "But I don't want it to be!"

Aes Sadai - "... tough s**t"

It got very old and boring very fast and made the main character quite unlike-able. They eventual set out on a quest with some purpose and the book finds its direction. But the characters are still terrible and poorly written. They all seem to have this bland, stoic way of speaking that comes across as very two dimensional, there is no meaningful interactions that leads to character development and dyanamics.

The only way I was able to get through the first 500 pages was by picking up another book, The Black Lung Captain, and switching to it after reading 50 pages of TGH and almost giving up on life.

The final quarter was actually pretty good and it started to feel how a high fantasy book should feel, building up to a powerful climax that leaves you holding your breath. It took me almost two weeks to read the first 500 pages then I read the final 250 in a day which I think is pretty good testament to how much the book actually changes in the latter third. Some good editing down to 400 or so pages would of made the novel so much more readable.

I will keep reading the series for now, I just wish the books were due to get shorter but it appears TGH is one of the shortest :banghead:

Up to page 500 the highest rating I would of given TGH is a 4/10. But the ending certainly pushed it up.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

Well done for finishing it!  I only gave it a 6, so you obviously loved it :D

Pretty much agree with everything you say.  It's too old school for me, bland and generic.  The ending was almost enough to make me interested in the next book.  Almost.  Haven't thought much about it since, though.

I have The Wheel of Time on my TBR, even bought the first book. It's good to read some reviews here about it...although I'm still unsure whether to start it or not. 

I've been in the same boat for a long long time.