More football

Lilywhite

Give Andy a high-five from me!

A sunny but cold afternoon saw us play some of our worst football of the year in the first half and we were lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time.  Fortunately normal service was resumed in the second half and we ran out 4-1 winners.  One more point will confirm a top 4 finish, but we have a game in hand over the teams in 2nd and 3rd AND they both have to play the champions this week.  Our remaining games are against 3 teams in the bottom half of the table, one of which has just lost their manager and all of the 1st team players!  4th place is probable, but dare I risk disappointment by dreaming of 2nd? :smile:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4th place looking more a cert for you....and you can always dream of 2nd..good for it guys

After all the goings on after Thursday night with 'stupid' coach guy, the boys put in another brave performance today, but beat 9-0. Again Andy and his other coach said how they had played well and more positives again. They have their last league game on Thursday next week, but of a travel away game, and no doubt will be desperate to put this season behind them.

There is talk of perhaps have just the two leauges next season....A & and a larger B league. Depends if any teams drop out etc.

When your club is in the doldrums, sometimes a league restructure can do wonders.  It happened to us 5 years ago - we were consistently bottom of the old league, but we were then able to rebuild.

Tonight I'm going to be a Torpoint Athletic fan - if they draw or win against Launceston (in 5th place), we've got our top 4 finish!

Update - a great 2-1 win for Torpoint confirms at least a 4th placed finish for us.  Now we can focus on chasing 3rd!

Edited by Sedge

One of the big reasons Zlatan has become as such a big star across the whole of Europe is his ego. He is a great player and he knows it and isn't afraid to let people know, that big headedness is great for the media. Some of the interviews he has given are hilarious, I'm not sure of he is laying it on thick or not but either way it makes great headlines. Some people understandably don't like his ego but it's a big part of what makes him the player he is. He tries things that very few players would try because he doesn't care what the reaction will be if it doesn't work. Football needs more Zlatans.

Probably does, Brian.

One of the big reasons Zlatan has become as such a big star across the whole of Europe is his ego. He is a great player and he knows it and isn't afraid to let people know, that big headedness is great for the media. Some of the interviews he has given are hilarious, I'm not sure of he is laying it on thick or not but either way it makes great headlines. Some people understandably don't like his ego but it's a big part of what makes him the player he is. He tries things that very few players would try because he doesn't care what the reaction will be if it doesn't work. Football needs more Zlatans.

Good analysis. He does have a major ego. It wouldn't work if he was a mediocre player though. He has kind of earned his right to be egoistic. Celebrities in general has to stand out in some way to gain attention. Lady Gaga, anyone? 

Zlatan is Zlatan. But he promotes football. He's not a complete a*hole like some players. He came from a poor neighbourhood in Sweden with lots and lots of immigrants. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also grow up without his father? It's things like that plus his talent that makes people with similar backgrounds, or just kids look up to him. 

Yesterday I read that Zlatan will open this year's Eurovision Song Contest & greet everyone welcome because it takes place in his home town Malmö. Zlatan is Zlatan........ He can even talk about himself in 3rd person, and no one thinks anything of it.  :P

When your club is in the doldrums, sometimes a league restructure can do wonders.  It happened to us 5 years ago - we were consistently bottom of the old league, but we were then able to rebuild.

Tonight I'm going to be a Torpoint Athletic fan - if they draw or win against Launceston (in 5th place), we've got our top 4 finish!

Update - a great 2-1 win for Torpoint confirms at least a 4th placed finish for us.  Now we can focus on chasing 3rd!

:doowapstart:

St Austell have just managed a formidable 7-0 away win!  With the 2nd placed team losing tonight, the race for second is hotting up! :jump:

:bye2: Way to go guys....fantastic whoop 7-0! Maybe 2 will be the lucky number for you all this year... :b7ydance:

Andy and Glendale had an away game tonight and came home with a 3-1 victory. They had been sitting 3rd bottom but moved a notch on Saturday 4th after their win and another notch tonight so 5th from bottom, 9th out of 13. Doing their usual trick of starting well in season....rubbish in the middle...and finishing well.

Last Tuesday had the County cup U16's Final. 2-0 to Greatham over South Shields.  2 yellow cards and 3 ambulances.  1st injury was a dislocated hip, 2nd was a broken ankle and third was ankle ligaments.

Monday night just gone was the South durham Bowl Final.  1-o to Witton Park and another broken leg.  People are now refusing to play in games that i ref.

Well done to Glendale!  If they can just get the middle third of the season sorted, could they be looking at trophies next season?  Never underestimate the power of positive thinking!

Sounds like a brutal week Richard - hope the players are OK.

What do you guys say about Bayern-München against Barcelona: 7-0! First 4-0 home and then 0-3 away. Bayern all the way! :)

Delighted with Bayern Munich, about time Spain were toppled from their perch in Europe, the Germans are the best currently, in Europe.

Edited by itsmeagain

What do you guys say about Bayern-München against Barcelona: 7-0! First 4-0 home and then 0-3 away. Bayern all the way! :)

Bayern have to be heavy favourites for the final but I am so happy that Dortmund got through. I love the football they play and Klopp has built one of the fittest teams in the whole of Europe. I just hope the final is a very competitive game.

The outcome in the South West Peninsula League will be a lot clearer at 4:45 this afternoon.  With 2 games left we're one of 3 sides still pushing for 2nd and possible promotion.  The odds are against us, but 3rd is still very realistic. :smile:

Today I read that Mourinho is readying himself for a return to Chelsea, burning his bridges with Iker Casillas, his deposed Real Madrid goalkeeper, and also boasting of his own achievements. He read out the names of about 20 ex Real managers, comparing their achievements to his own achievements. Mourinho has not won the champions league in 3 yrs at Real and is destined not to do so.

Edited by itsmeagain

We managed an away draw today and our 2 rivals both won, which confirms a 4th place finish!  We're comfortably top of the form table after 10 wins and 2 draws in our last 12 games.  Shame to miss out on 2nd & promotion, but a nice win in our last match next Friday will finish off a fantastic season! :smile:

Well done Hull, will be interesting seeing how Cardiff and Hull do in the next season..

As a lifelong Chelsea supporter I would LOVE to have Mourinho back at the Bridge, the players and the supporters loved him and Alex Ferguson needs an opposing manager who can match him for creating team spirit..

Not sure about the fanzine but probably.. I don't think Benitez is toooo bad, he was great with Liverpool, but don't think he is suited to Chelsea and I know his player rotation system isn't particularly popular with the players (or fans) as he often doesn't seem to have the right players for the right games, or on at the right point of the game. I'm just hoping he gets it right for our match at Old Trafford tomorrow!

I'm a bit late to the party here but for the record I called Dortmund winning the Champions League before the groups were even decided. A tough group with Ajax, Barca and City set them aside from the rest of the front-runners for a little while but delighted they came through against Madrid (and Bayern against the 'best team in the world', of course). I'd love to see Dortmund take out Munich in the final. Not holding my breath but who knows..

Oh and my two cents on the Mourinho drama. Chelsea need him back; he needs Chelsea back to regain his comfort and confidence. He would also, regretably, probably give Ferguson a run for his money in the league. It would definitely liven things up though, the rivalry is a fantastic one (and he can put down his credentials for the United job in due course).

If he returns and City get a better manager and regain some form.. next year could be a fascinating EPL title race.