More football

Lilywhite

Just when we thought the weather was being merciful, we've been rained off again this afternoon!  Never mind, our two nearest rivals (one above us, the other below) played out a draw last night, making our position much stronger. :smile:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result for you guys then. Wish could say the same for Andy and Glendale. He was itching to get back to footie, having missed 4 games being away in the the Big Apple (but had a blast). All was going well when the equalised to 1-1, Andy crossed in a ball and was headed in to the goal, but then disallowed, ref knows why, was nothing obvious to us spectators. Then is all went wrong and beaten 5-1.

U'15's game tomorrow, they haven't played in two weeks, so watch this space.

U'15's played better today. Team they were playing beat them 11-1 last time, today it was only 4-2. They so nearly had a 3-3 draw!

Edited by Inver

Andy and Glendale had a match last night that we didn't go to. Apparently was their best game this season, coming back twice from 2 goals down to come away with a 4-4 draw. He set a goal up, scored one and took a penalty to equalise the final 4-4 result. Another game tomorrow night, so hoping they can come away with more points!

Sounds like an epic match!  Another game tomorrow night?  Not much time to take a breather!

We're at home tonight, hopefully to consolidate our 4th position - loving every minute of it!

I have been to three lots of footie this week, Tues, Wed, and tonight and not one win amongst them. Tues, Andy had his Cults primary school game he has been help coach, 1/4 final but were binned 13-2 by a team who should go on an win something. Last night he was playing with Glendale, beat 3-0 in horrible cold and wet conditions. U'15's tonight and were unlucky (due to their own lack of taking chances (again) ) not to get a draw and beaten 5-3.

Every night has been very windy and made conditions difficult to play anything in the air. Tomorrow...hoorah no footie and a break, he needs it too as took an ankle knock last night, so better rest up for Saturday. Only hubby has his weekly fix of 5-a-side though tomorrow.

Did you make that 4th place tonight Sedge?

I hope Andy is still looking on the bright side Inver!  St Austell have been in similar situations (even up to only 5 years ago) and the bad times were the catalyst for driving onto our current success!

Yep, we managed a 6-1 win against a side who had lost once in eleven games.  We're now 3 points clear in 4th with 3 games in hand over the teams below us.  Providing we keep the core of our team together in the summer, I think we could look at a title challenge next season!

Fantastic Sedge...go the boys :D Hope they manage to hang on to players and for for a title next season. That would be brilliant.

Andy is very good about it all to be honest with the U'15's. Obviously gets frustrated with them but trys to comment on where they are going wrong and room for improvement etc and gets them to try other things. Unlike one of the other coaches, who had a rant last night via/facebook and texting Andy. Was a bit out of character, but basically saying that some of the boys need to take a look at themselves and ask if they actually want to play football. Andy was gobsmacked and told him to retract the post (fortunatelly it is on a private group, but all the boys have access to it for updates for team/fixture etc. and reckon some of them had viewed it. Poor guys they are only 14 and still playing boys footie not flaming juniors etc. Texts went on for quite a while oing on about how he is fed up with no wins, nobody listens to his input etc . I could go on about more but you get the jist of it. He may/may not be at Sunday game, which in a way would be quite good for Andy and other coach to have a chance to chat to the boys prematch. Almost worth a mention to Child Protection Officer of the club, as it is almost like emotional abuse and some of these young guys could take it to heart. Glad he has the sense to nip it in the bud. See what Sunday brings...watch this space. So far he hasn't heard from the guy, he was supposed to phone Andy tonight to discuss teamlines, as per normal before the match.

Sound like this guy has lost his enjoyment of the game and maybe it's best if he walks away for a while.  A poor run of results can be disheartening, but that's how young players like this learn the game.  A lot of our very top players have come through some pretty poor sides.  It's all about having the right coaching through the tough times and it sounds to me like Andy has just the right approach.

The league leaders down here managed a win last night to finally put paid to our distant championship dreams, but if we concentrate on digging into 4th spot, maybe 3rd or even 2nd place could get closer!  We're at home to a team in the bottom 4 this afternoon though, and those are the games which cause us to slip up.  Hopefully we'll carry on from where we left off on Wednesday - Up The Lilywhites!

Thanks Sedge and I have to say I am quite proud of my boy and his attitude to coaching and encouraging etc. They are taught in the footie level badges they take that it is not all about winning that matters and this is his ethos in coaching, 'go out and do the best you can that is all I am asking you and try to take on board coaching tips etc'. He came through some tough times when he was at that age and dropped from a team that all they wanted was glory. He went to a team that was just starting up and he flourished first year he was there being top scorer, but the team were never at the top....a bonus when they did win games. He stayed loyal to his team too and then was scouted for amateur when the age groups ran out. He is also loyal to his U'15's and would never turn away a boy that wanted to train/join them, would always give them a chance, not always being able to sign them, but more that welcome to train with them.

Hope the 4th spot or above can be achieved Sedge. Be a great season if you can hold on to that. Andy & Glendale lost 4-1 today. I have to say they looked tired today and it was a bit of a boring game to watch. He is shattered this week, playing, coaching etc. See how tomorrow U'15's get on (plus the coaches banter!)

We had a pretty nice afternoon yesterday.  The sun was shining and we managed a very comfortable 3-0 win against one of the nicest sides we've met this season.  Two free kicks were awarded through the entire match and our opponents played in the right spirit to the end.  Next up we've got our local rivals on Wednesday evening - maybe this won't be quite as friendly? :biggrin:

Edited by Sedge

Maybe the weather was in your favour Sedge...lol. Good 3pts there for you too...go the boys.

Windy this morning here, again. Still making conditions difficult to play in and another 7-0 defeat for U'15's but they did play well. The opposition are lying 2nd in league and will probably get promoted to the 'A' leagues next season.

Andy had a prematch word with them about the 'certain' comment made on Facebook this week. A few of they guys did say they seen it but hadn't known what to say. He told them to totally disregard it and to not let anyone tell them that they are never good enough to play footie and that the post was totally inappropriate. Also to reassure them he is not giving up on them despite the rough season they have had, these things happen to the best of teams etc. If any of them had told their parents about it and they wanted to speak to him about it to get in touch. One guy, who is quite a character, said he almost left a comment telling him where to go in no uncertain terms, but fortunately didn't.

Andy received a text from the coach saying he probably wouldn't manage along to the game after his work, heading home with supposed 'man flu', but to wish the guys a good game! Yeh, right!!! Now we will see what happens on Tuesday night at training.

Good call emelee!  I think Bayern's name will be on the cup this year.

Mixed results for St Austell tonight (even though we didn't play!).  The league title was won by Bodmin Town with 4 games left.  Then 3rd placed Elburton Villa beat 2nd placed Plymouth Parkway to close the gap to a point between them.  Unfortunately that pretty much puts us out of the running for 3rd, but one of our rivals for 4th lost tonight, so victory for us tomorrow will pretty much guarantee a top 4 finish!

This is more intriguing than the Premier League any day!

Go for 4th place Sedge...you can all do it. :smile:

No outcome yet about the coach situation discussed above. We thought he was actually coming along to apologise to the boys tonight but something else happened, he did turn up but Andy was busy talking to someone and didn't see him. He then left in his car and came back at end of training picked up his two boys and had to rush off. Texts have been going back and forward again and Andy has given him 3 options to consider. They have a game on Thursday which he may be at, not ideal time to try and resolve the situation but it is making this situation very uncomfortable. See what happens either before/after the game :hide:

A quality performance saw us beat our local rivals 4-0 tonight.  It was a real party atmosphere. :smile:   I think we'll have to mess up really badly to throw away 4th place now!

Edited by Sedge

Bayern against Dortmund in the CL-finale? I hope so. Go Germany! Loving german football. We get so little from Bundesliga on Swedish TV. It's mostly just the Swedish, brittish, spanish and italian leagues, plus the frensh league now that Zlatan Ibrahimoviz plays there. Sweden is Zlatan-obsessed. I wish he'd move to a german club next!! 

Sounds like we need more people like Andy in youth coaching Inver :)

Some of the things you see coaches (and indeed parents) screaming at these kids is disgraceful, especially when they're not in professional academies so not expected to turn out for Barcelona any time soon!

Having said that, in professional academies it seems to be a win win win attitude, and while obviously winning is nice, enjoyment, learning and improving, seem far more important to me.

/soapbox

Edited by Alexi

Great win Sedge with 4-0...4th place here you come by the sounds of it. How many games left?

Alexi, thanks for your kind comments and yes enjoyment, learning etc it his top priority, winning is a bonus etc.

U'15's had a game tonight....bad defeat but they played some great footie tonight. Sunny but still windy, which just doesn't help the game at all. (12-1 defeat). Andy and his other coach were well pleased with them. I heard him tell them how well they had played and not to bother about the score, disappointing yes, but lots of encouraging passing play tonight etc.

Still no outcome of the saga. An email was sent to all the parents this morning from the culprit supposedly trying to defend himself. I can't go in to all the detail, but the email wasn't copied to Andy or his other coach. At the end of it he had such I have no choice now but to resign as of now. Andy only found out about the email by his other coach sending a message asking about the email,  but he replied he didn't get one. He managed to get a copy of it emailed from a parent. Was totally gobsmacked by what the guy had written, and the most hurtful thing was something about 'lack of coaching and development'....what the f.....! Andy has been with these boys for 8yrs! Has been totally committed to them, even although on one occasion was approached to go to another club! Doesn't it say something that a few of the players they have had in the past have been scouted by higher up leagues and he has wished them well with their moves. Does their coaching not count for anything? These boys are only 14 and still learning the game every time they play.

Anyway Andy then replied to all the parents with a reply to the email, stating facts that were wrong and explaining why etc. He has the  backing of the players and parents. This guy is truly out of order. He came along tonight as his step son was playing in team, stood at the sidelines, which was fine, made no contact with anyone. Andy didn't want anything said before or during the game anyway. Once the game was over the boys gathered for team talk with Andy and other coach, he then half expected him to come over and hopefully have a word with the boys and apologise. Did he hell...! We gathered up all the equipment etc, and disperssed and no apology to the boys, not a word. Back to car park, hubby and I putting things in car and 'he' asked Andy if he could have a word (other coach was there too). We weren't allowed to listen. Basically he mouthed of at him and said he would not be aplogising as didn't think there was anything he needed to apologise for etc. he ranted on and on, and Andy back at him, not shouting at each other but raised voices. By the end of it was obvious that he just wanted to have a go at Andy, but he was contradicting himself back and forth when they brought up issues, etc. In the end Andy had to walk away, before he said something he would regret....to which said bad coach said 'Grow up Andy'. Oh and he mentioned lawyers at one point to Andy to if he went down the road of Child Protection! What the.....!  Andy is now going to take advice from his Active Schools coordinator he has contact with re Child Protection, but he/we think that he really needs to let someone within the club committee (maybe Child Protection officer too) know about this situation, before 'bad' coach goes mouthing off about it/Andy to others.

I felt sick to the stomach after all this tonight and have to say Andy was actually shaking after it all he was so mad wound up with adrenaliln. Glad he had his other coach with him to listen to it all.

Sorry I could go in to more detail, but am too tired....rant over (thanks for listening).

Yes, Ibrahimovic is good but I can guess the media are Zlatan obsessed, pity really emelee.

Not only the Swedish media. People who loves sports in general too. Zlatan is like a national hero. Probably because we haven't had a superstar football player before. It's always been a team effort before. Now when we have a superstar, it's all about him. But then again, I can understand that cause we don't stand a chance to do good in big matches without him. He is often the difference between successs and failure.

Generally , Henrik Larsson was better than Ibrahimovic, as I recall. Would you agree emelee?

He was terrific. But he was never AS important as Zlatan for the national team. And was never the superstar that Zlatan is in this country. It's IMO quite insane how mega huge one member of a team can get. No football player in the past has even come close to having the fandom that Zlatan has, no matter how good they were. If I were to guess, Zlatan and actor Mikael Persbrandt are the two most popular men in Sweden.

One of the big reasons Zlatan has become as such a big star across the whole of Europe is his ego. He is a great player and he knows it and isn't afraid to let people know, that big headedness is great for the media. Some of the interviews he has given are hilarious, I'm not sure of he is laying it on thick or not but either way it makes great headlines. Some people understandably don't like his ego but it's a big part of what makes him the player he is. He tries things that very few players would try because he doesn't care what the reaction will be if it doesn't work. Football needs more Zlatans.

Sedge....good news today and Andy could do with it this week after all the hassle.....Glendale 3-0 Rattrays XI....3 much needed points and it was sunny and not cold!