More football

Lilywhite

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nae luck.....beat 2-1.....although their penalty was scored by Andy. Ref had some weird decisions! Was very windy and didn't take advantage of that in first half....ho hum, oot another cup then.

Hope you faired better Sedge.

Unlucky Inver. We've had a fair share of eccentric refs in the past, but not yesterday - a 5-0 win over Penzance saw us back up to 10th! Credit to the Penzance boys though for turning up in a pink strip for charity! :D

Good result Sedge...is your boss still speaking to you...lol. Home games for both lots this weekend, if the weather allows, could be a bit soggy underfoot, especially the U'14's home pitch. Spits rain and the cooncil call off the game on the council run pitches!

Sadly my boss couldn't be there, but he did watch Penzance Reserves lose 10-0 on the same day - ouch!

We're making the long trek across the border to England on Saturday to play Ivybridge Town. We've been hit by floods down here, but I've heard that Devon has it worse, so the game could be in jeopardy. :intherain:

Great weekend for Andy and footie. Glendale manage a 2-0 home win yesterday. His U'14's Culter Colts took a 5-3 victory home win over the league leaders this morning too....great game and he finds it difficult to name a man of the match this week. He was well chuffed with them today, shame the didn't manage a win over this lot in their other confrontation. They have a game in hand, so the might be in with a chance of sneaking 2nd in league if they play well and the team in second maybe lose a game!

How did your weather fair for the game this weekend Sedge.

Smiles all round then Inver! The rain didn't arrive until late evening, so the match went ahead without a hitch. We were 2-0 down at half time, but dug in to win 3-2 with an 89th minute goal from one of our central defenders! There was also a magnificent 7-3 win for our 2nds - things are looking good! :D

Oops....Glendale got binned 5-1 away from home on Saturday. But Andy's U'14's made up for it on Sunday and won a cup game 5-2.....was 1-1 at HT. Improved in the second half....he was well chuffed with them.

Your weekend go ok Sedge.

Sounds like you had a mixed weekend Inver, as did we! Last Friday our star player signed for Bodmin Town. I was worried that we might struggle for goals, but Saturday saw us fight out an epic 4-4 draw!

We're now on a 4 game unbeaten run and are comfortably mid-table. I'm looking forward to our new floodlights being unveiled next Saturday - hopefully we'll celebrate with a win over the 3rd placed side.

Overall times are good at Poltair Park! :D

4 in a row...well done. Hope you have more success this weekend Sedge :D

Busy one for Andy this weekend. Glendale travel to Paisley for a Scottish cup game tomorrow, early start for them....bus at 8.30! Be a long day...hoping it is worth it for them. Then Sunday a cup game for Culter Colts U'14's. They are playing Albion (the team Andy used to play for befor they 'let him go' way back then. Would have been good if it had been his old coach still taking the team, then he would see how far he has come, but he isn't doing it now. Anyway hope they get some success although will be a tough match for his boys as Albion are an 'A' league team and they are 'C;'...but as they say, daft things happen in cup games.:rolleyes:

Good luck to Glendale today, then. I used to love cup games - they always had a bit of a "buzz" about them, especially if you had a team you didn't know anything about. I remember drawing a team from down in Cornwall once (at home, fortunately :lol: )

On which score, good luck also to my local non-league side, Bromley, who have a First Round FA Cup tie at Orient this afternoon.

Good Luck to Glendale. Sound like we've all got a bit of a challenge today Inver. We're at home to the 3rd placed team (we're 11th), we've lost 3 of our top players in recent weeks and half of our defence are unavailable! Time for a pre-Christmas miracle!

Which Cornish team did you draw Roland? Best of luck to Bromley as well (sadly no Cornish sides left in the Cup this year!).

I'm unfamiliar with the geography over the Tamar - does anybody know where Huntingdonshire is?

Nae luck for Andy and the boys....were binned 5-2 so out of Scottish Cup run...it was a 3rd round game suppose. He said they were awful team, time wasters and divers to name two of their tactics, plus ref was letting them away with murder. He also said the pitch was almost unplayable and shouldn't really have been allowed to be played on. Could tell the state of the pitch by the state of his boots!

Ah well, hope I have better news after tomorrows U'14's game!

Never mind, there's always next year.

The team in question was Liskeard Athletic, Sedge. That was a good few years back, mind! Huntingdonshire is West East Anglia, if that makes sense - next to Cambridgeshire, round Peterborough way, about 70-80 miles north of London (you have heard of London? :lol: ). Why do you ask - Cup tie?

Thanks Roland - Cornwall Under-18s beat Huntingdonshire last weekend at Poltair Park and their coach was extremely uncomplimentary about our pitch. Possibly sour grapes as he didn't have a problem with it before!

Spookily we played Liskeard yesterday. Our unbeaten run continues, but not in the way we wanted. The referee came out for the second half and informed us that he'd injured his hamstring and couldn't continue. He'd arranged to swap places with one of the linesmen (who was also a qualified referee) so that the game could continue. Then, for reasons best known to himself he decided to ask both clubs for their approval. We said yes, but Liskeard said they didn't want to play anymore, so the game was abandoned at 1-1!

Result - the game will have to be replayed and we still have to shell out for the ref's travelling expenses! He left the pitch a deeply unpopular man, especially as he injured his hamstring last Wednesday and didn't tell anyone. :irked:

I would go with Geoff on that one Sedge, surely it would be the refs/linesman decision to say yes/no for continuing. Was it a cup game? Surely it would have been best just to get it played and out of the way. Hope you beat them next time. Saying 'don't want to play anymore' sounds a bit childish....lol.

Bad news for todays U'14's.....they were outplayed/outclassed by the 'A;' league team 11-0 :lurker: ....ouchy! They tried their best and held on to 2-0 for a while but were 5-0 at HT. Tried to keep their heads up, but some of the goals were way over our keepers head. They were also playing on a very good astro turf pitch, which we aren't used to playing on, more like waterlogged and muddy is our best...lol. However, Andy just said that he wasn't disappointed with their performance and put it down to experience and how he hoped that one day they could play as good as them. Albion do have a reputation for seeking out really good young players, and have to say the talent in the team was exceptional.....can't believe I am saying this about the club Andy used to play for that let him go.

Ah well never, mind they are still in another cup some time and hopefully can still do well in the league.

Edited by Inver

Ah, it's character-building, Diane! I was once in a team that lost 13-2 (and I was a fairly reasonable player!). I remember my son's school team got to the last 16 of the Heinz Trophy, which is an England-wide competition, and had visions of winning it ... their delusions of grandeur were shattered by a 9-0 defeat! It's all good experience.

Absolutely. It was only 4 short years ago that I stood on the sidelines cheering our 2nd goal in the 89th minute to secure a 12-2 defeat against a much smaller club! :)

As for last Saturday - yes, the League Handbook confirms that the referee's decision is final and the clubs don't need to be consulted. If the referee had come straight out and abandoned the match at half time, there wouldn't have been such confusion. We still don't know why he asked the clubs' permission. Seems to me that all parties concerned were partially to blame for the 20-minute farce!

Still, the game was shaping up nicely, so I'm looking forward to the replay.

Another disastrous result...4-1 defeat for Andy and Glendale...ho hum! See how the u'14's get on in their cup tomorrow. Culter Juniors did well though...they held Partick Thistle to a 1-1 draw in Scottish Cup3rd round game and get a replay next weekend....great stuff

Yes, I saw that result. Are Culter local to you, then? (Sorry, Scottish geography isn't exactly one of my strong points! I still haven't managed to find the towns of Raith and Albion on the map :lol: ). I remember thinking it was a good result - non-league sides very rarely get anything off the pro teams in Scotland, do they, and Partick are a decent side. I noticed there was an 11-0 yesterday, and it reminded me that, a few years back, someone got beaten 20-0 by one of the professional clubs in the Cup.

Bad luck Inver - I'm sure things will pick up soon. I saw that 11-0 result yesterday. Wasn't it Gala Fairydean? Great name!

We managed a great 2-0 win over one of our nearest rivals to extend our unbeaten run to five and a half games. This is better form than any other team in the league and we're still only 10th! I suppose that goes to show how slowly we started this season!

U'14's played well yesterday but a 2-1 defeat. He isn't too bothered, wants to concentrate of finishing well in their league now.

Geoff...yeh Culter are local to us. Andy could possibly have had a trial with them, but they train the same nights he is coaching.

This is Andy's lot

http://www.clubwebsi...club/97611/Home Under teams, 1998, U'14's If you see the photo, he is back row 1st left. If you click on The Match, you can browse back his match reports.

http://www.culterfc....lub/219210/Home They are based in Peterculter.

http://www.clubwebsi...albionboysclub/ They are an Aberdeen based team.

The Raith Rovers are based in Kirkcaldy, Fife....my home town.

http://www.raithrove...I-bin/index.cgi

Glad to hear you had a win this week Sedge....lol at the 'half' game.

Edited by Inver