More football

Lilywhite

Sorry for the double-post, but I've been suffering football withdrawal! The symptoms should ease tomorrow night when we play a friendly against QPR Youth! As long as we score one goal, I'll be happy! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well glad to see the football season back up and running; have definitely missed it the past few months.

Just watched the Community Shield match between Manchester City and Manchester United, which was a fiery affair as you would expect from these two. United start off strongly, but for all their possession and pressure they couldn't make it count and grab any goals. City grabbed a goal out of nowhere, and then a couple of minutes before half-time, doubled their lead with a long shot that De Gea (new, inexperienced) should have really done better with. In any case, in the second half our youthful substitutions really gave it their all and we turned the match around. A lovely ball from new signing Ashley Young tapped in by Chris Smalling got as back into the match, before Nani equalised a bit later. Then, with just a couple of minutes on the clock, a mistake from Kolorov of Man City, let Nani tear past him. There were no defenders about, and he dribbled carefully around Hart in net, to slot the ball home and give United a 3-2 win.

It's a result and performance that really cements our intentions to have a good season, and I thought we were in fine form. Looking forward to the opening weekend of the league matches, now.

Glad to find this thread all about football! I'm really excited for this weekend and my team is Liverpool. I really think they will be strong contenders this season with all the great additions to the squad.

I also root for Cork City in Irish League since that's where I was born. Got to represent my hometown. I live in New York but find MLS too dire to watch.

True Roland. We lost 2-1 tonight against a Division 1 side. We seem to have gone from title outsiders to relegation candidates (according to one of my more pessimistic fellow supporters) in 2 weeks!

I'm sure we'll be playing Truro in the Premier League in 10 years time! :D

Anyway, at least the friendlies are out of the way and we can get on with some meaningful games. Bring on Saturday!

I'm sure we'll be playing Truro in the Premier League in 10 years time! :D

I doubt it. Mr Heaney's company's gone belly-up, hasn't it? Like every other non-league team that's been backed with money that wasn't sound, Truro's rise will all end in tears before too long, I'd have thought.

That's the fear. We have no millionaire sugar-daddy, but are reaping the commercial benefits of operating out of the biggest town in Cornwall. It'll take a lot longer, but when we start climbing the leagues we'll have a more solid base than Truro.

It would be a shame if it all comes to an end for Truro though as it's great to see a Cornish club doing so well - we're a bit out on a footballing limb down here!

Good luck to everyone's teams as the new season begins.. definitely missed the football this summer!

Yes, good luck everyone - although if you were an Arsenal supporter you would wish the start of the season to be some weeks off yet. :eek:

Hi guys....see this thread has opened up again for another season.....lol. Andy and the guys have had two games so far and two defeats....here we go again....:blush:

Anyhow he enjoyed himself Tuesday/Wednesday. He was through in Glasgow with a mate. Celtic v Man U legends....5-2 to Celtic.....testimonial for John Kennedy. Lots of celebs played. He then went to Scotland v Denmark....and hoorah we won 2-1.

Now here is hoping Andy and Glendale can pick up a win tomorrow. Good luck for the new season Sedge.

Yes, good luck to Andy! I know we've had this conversation before, but he really should be looking to move up in standard if he can.

I was hoping to take in some Scottish football when I'm up there, but by the look of things Melrose and the surrounding area is strictly egg-chasing territory ...

Yeh I know Geoff, but they are quite a good bunch of guys he plays with. I would proabably say you are better sticking to the egg-chasing when you are up here, you would have to travel a good bit to catch a decent footie game :giggle2:

Anyhow, good result to report today. The sun shone (even hot!) , pitch in reasonable condition given all the rain we have had and the 'Dale won 2-5. Good away win for them today. I managed to arrive just in time to see Andy score a goal and then later on they were awarded a penalty....my boy stepped up to take it and he put it away confidently. So he is off to a good start and probably top goal scorer at the moment, although they haven't actually scored many...lol.

How things go today Sedge?

Yep, well done Glendale!

The Austell suffered from the same old problems yesterday - all attack and no defence. The result was a 3-2 away defeat against Dartmouth who were relegation strugglers throughout last season. I'm hoping that they've suddenly turned into title contenders. Maybe then this result won't look so bad.

There's no respite either - on Tuesday we're at home to Bodmin Town who haven't finished outside the top 2 for 4 years! Do Glendale have any defenders we could borrow for a few hours? :blush:

We had a 4-1 home defeat against Cornwall's 2nd best team tonight, but it wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. We're having trouble putting the ball in the net, but otherwise we're fine!

How did it go for Glendale tonight Inver?

They had a 2-1 home victory! Two wins in a row...OMG what has happened...but it doesn't last though :D See how it goes tomorrow, home game and hopefully nice weather!

Yip that net can cause problems on occasion.....took them ages to find the net the other night too. If they play like they did they won't be winning any cups...lol.

Better luck at the weekend Sedge.

Thanks Inver. Hopefully we'll be joining you on the winning trail soon. This afternoon we're at home to the Royal Marines who have suffered 2 big defeats and are struggling at the bottom of the table.

If we don't win this one, it's time to start getting concerned!

Wish I could say the result was as good as the weather today, but they had a home defeat 1-2 this afternoon. Very frustrating game to watch. Their goalie was ranting away plenty, so much so his mum and dad were shouting at him from the sidelines to shut up...:D

Hopefully your news is better Sedge :blush:

It was indeed Inver - we beat the Royal Marines 6-1. We're finally off the mark and our two new 16 year old signings are showing fantastic promise with a goal each. :D

Hopefully we'll be able to have a day when St Austell and Glendale both win soon!

Great result for your boys Sedge, may there be many more!

Andy's Culter Colts U'14's got of too a storming start of the season, first league game today, winning 9-0 at home! Hoping for an away win next week too. Sitting at the top of the table. His aims/dreams for this season is that they win their league and move up! If they play as well as they did today it could be on the cards.

Andy double happy today, St Johnstone took 3 pts of Celtic today away from home... :lol: