Something I've Learned Today

ned

It's not the second-handness I mind per se, quite a few books in Oxfam look brand new and none are really bad - we have to recycle so many, it's unbelievable the things some people dare to donate (a book I binned on Thursday, for instance, had half of the cover torn off :() - it's the pencilled-in prices I can't stand.

I asked a colleague whether they could price the books I want to buy on a post-it note rather than the flyleaf, and I was told that we only use soft pencils that are easy to rub out - I found it very hard not to open my mouth to disagree... erase as much as you want, you'll be able to tell forevermore that a book's been priced.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to need more from you on this one. Talk about an enigmatic post! :D

It's either been financially very hard for us lately, and I use 'em to give the soup some ooomph or they add nutrition to my soil.

I had a ten minute conversation with a neighbour about the benefits of manure. There's nothing you can tell me about a glam and heady lifestyle.:(:roll::)

It's not the second-handness I mind per se, quite a few books in Oxfam look brand new and none are really bad - we have to recycle so many, it's unbelievable the things some people dare to donate (a book I binned on Thursday, for instance, had half of the cover torn off :friends0:) - it's the pencilled-in prices I can't stand.

I asked a colleague whether they could price the books I want to buy on a post-it note rather than the flyleaf, and I was told that we only use soft pencils that are easy to rub out - I found it very hard not to open my mouth to disagree... erase as much as you want, you'll be able to tell forevermore that a book's been priced.

Yeah in the main shop people have been known to donate dirty nappies. Thanks guys!

I am going to risk getting a punch in the head now. I'd have to agree with the folk at Oxfam:blush:. I noticed the book I'm reading must have been donated to Oxfam first since it had the price written in. I thought I'd see if I could get rid of it so I rubbed it out and after I had you couldn't tell it had ever been written on. No indentations on the page, no marks left behind. I looked at it from every angle and couldn't see it at all.

Maybe they don't use soft enough pencils or they press down too hard when they write in the shops you've been in.

Just calmly explain what they're doing wrong and then give them a swift dig to the kidneys.

I've learned:

Use numerals for all numbers that represent time; dates; ages; (APA, p. 124) but spell out numbers for approximate days, months, years.

So: "It took 18 days" and "it will take about eighteen days" are both correct.

Added to the list of different times when it is correct to spell the number rather than use the numeral - really can't one just decide what looks best rather than all these rules?

That's interesting, Duncan. I read a lot about punctuation/grammar, but I've never heard of that rule before. What does APA stand for?

APA is the American Psychological Association, their publication manual sets out the guidelines for the correct formatting of text for publications in journals and books. The use of this manual has now spread from just US and psychological based publications to cover many more general science publications and even some UK universities recognise it as the correct formatting for the submission of written work.

Some of the rules are useful and it keeps text consistent, but the rules now seem endless and some of them are ridiculously complicated for such a little detail. I normally just follow the basic ones then do what looks/reads like the best option ;-)

I always find Calle funny how to pronounce, t'is cool xD

I learnt that all planes are grounded in the Uk cause of the eruption over in Iceland.

That means watch the skies cause if you see anything, it'll be an alien! :tong:

I need hot chocolate before I can evolve into super rawr :tong: I have no milk in, that is what I just learnt too :lol:

That there are potentially over a hundred bodies lining Mount Everest at various points, obviously usually the upper steps where climbers have succumbed to illness or whatever, it's quite creepy yet in a way holds a strange kind of beauty, that the mountain takes those who seek to conquer her, very odd. People know the risks when they go up. A lot of climbers occasionally end up coming across dying people from other parties and either choose to leave them as it's 'not their business' or they desire the summit ahead of other lives, or that they genuinely have to leave them because of their own safety and lack of means. It's very strange and surreal when you think about that.

I've learned that killer whales are not actually whales, but a species of dolphin. Actually, I think I learned that in elementary school, but I had forgotten.

Hahaha awwwwww I want a blue rat too. Poor things though.

I learned that supposedly, how you eat food relates to and can illustrate how you are in bed. I don't believe it, but if anyone knows the theory, feel free to let me know as I'd like to be able to not feel self conscious with the guy who told me and who refuses to tell me until after we've had dinner together. And no, it's not a freaky pick up line, we were planning a date anyway.

Hahaha awwwwww I want a blue rat too. Poor things though.

I learned that supposedly, how you eat food relates to and can illustrate how you are in bed. I don't believe it, but if anyone knows the theory, feel free to let me know as I'd like to be able to not feel self conscious with the guy who told me and who refuses to tell me until after we've had dinner together. And no, it's not a freaky pick up line, we were planning a date anyway.

Here you go, with thanks to Google

http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-you-are-how-you-eat.html