Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's mentioned the acidity of Coke (diet or not), which is bad enough itself without the other toxic and cancerous ingredients. We once made a simple experiment with coke and meat...I'm sure nobody want's to know :lol:

I've learned that etching is a synonime for erosion.

Did you guys know that many hotels and hospitals in China don't label the fourth floor because the pronunciation of "four" in Chinese sounds like "death"?

Knew something like it, they have more unlucky numbers than we do, but I think there are hotels and such that don't have a room 13, or floor 13.. so we do the same.

No one's mentioned the acidity of Coke (diet or not), which is bad enough itself without the other toxic and cancerous ingredients. We once made a simple experiment with coke and meat...I'm sure nobody want's to know :lurker:

I do! I do! Tell all the good stuff Brida....

It's the aspartame Johnny. That stuff is a nerve toxin (Phenylalanine)basically. Google it and see.

Snopes says FALSE. I kinda trust Snopes when it comes to debunking myths, legends and rumours. :lurker:

There are LOADS of Coke-related myths. Click HERE and see - all the ones marked with a red dot are false.

That meat one that was mentioned a few messages back - was it anything to do with pork and worms? Because if it was, that one's marked FALSE too. :D As is the dissolving a tooth legend.

Edited by Kell

Snopes says FALSE. I kinda trust Snopes when it comes to debunking myths, legends and rumours. :lurker:

There are LOADS of Coke-related myths. Click HERE and see - all the ones marked with a red dot are false.

That meat one that was mentioned a few messages back - was it anything to do with pork and worms? Because if it was, that one's marked FALSE too. :D As is the dissolving a tooth legend.

Indeed, it's an absolute myth

Get 2 friends together, give one 4 cans of diet coke a day to drink and the other 4 cans of Budweiser a day to drink; see which one dies first.

Bloody aspartame

I do! I do! Tell all the good stuff Brida....

Haha,well not much to say really, we put meat in a jar, with some coke, and it disintegrated. It looked pretty ugly. Basically, that's what it does to your stomach. Only, there's also a sort of protection in the stomach, because of the mucus (it's not that simple but no one wants to go there), but still you can't really ignore the acidity. So...it can cause lots of things, starting with ulcers and gastritis...Of course, drinking it once in a while won't kill you, but you know, it sure won't help :lurker:

EDIT: oh, and about the tooth thing - obviously they won't disolve over night. Then all of the people drinking coke would be teethless. But when you add up all the effects of drinking coke (and coffe, and juice, and other stuff) it's bad for your teeth. One can of coke will not make your teeth fall out, but they will definitely be less stronger. And you can't regenerate your teeth. Believe me, it'll be easier for your teeth to go bad, and break, and fall out, and every tooth missing is less food chewed enough which can couse other digestive problems and subsequently affect your whole body and...Ok, got carried away. I'm really serious about this. :D

Edited by Brida

Not so fast SKM, it's an long weekend, I think we'd all love to be told a long story. :lurker:

Lol, well sorry for late reply but basically i was trying to serve up one of my trademark aces in my local tennis club with a few workmates and lo and behold my boss finishes his soccer match nearby and decides to watch me for a few mins. Well i get so self conscious that i mess up the ace and hit most of the shots into the net, all the while he is laughing his head off!!!

Oh well at least you cant be fired for bad tennis i guess :D

Edited by StephenKingman

Quick fact tonight. I learnt that Edgar Allan Poe enrolled in the army as he was struggling with money, as Edgar A Perry, lying that he was 22.

Shotguns cannot be used in war as they are against the Geneva Convention

Depends what they are loaded with, and who interprets the law, more likely to be the Hague convention rather than the Geneva Convention.

Germany, in 1918, protested US use of shotguns firing multiple projectile buckshot* ammunition as a violation of Section II of the 1907 Hague Convention (the Geneva Convention’s predecessor treaty), which forbade belligerents to employ arms, projectiles, or material calculated to cause unnecessary suffering.

But, as W. Hays Parks, Special Assistant for Law of War Matters, Office of The Judge Advocate General, U.S. Army, notes in a 1997 paper, DA-PAM 27-50-299, the United States interpreted the Hague Treaty differently, rejecting the German protest.

The highly-effective use of the shotgun by United States forces had a telling effect on the morale of front-line German troops. On 19 September 1918, the German government issued a diplomatic protest against the American use of shotguns, alleging that the shotgun was prohibited by the law of war.

After careful consideration and review of the applicable law by The Judge Advocate General of the Army, Secretary of State Robert Lansing rejected the German protest in a formal note.

*my emphasis

Edited by Vladd

I always thought that Lemmings was a game yopu played but to my surprise I discovered that a Lemming is a Mammel:blush:

It's both!

But they don't actually jump off cliffs!

I learnt that when in Vatican City Da Vinci attached horns and wings to a lizard to turn it into a dragon to scare the Pope's courtiers :lol:

I learnt a little bit more about how the American taxpayer has been completely and utterly screwed over by Halliburton's role in the Iraqi war for the last seven years. It's absolutely horrific.

EDIT: oh, and about the tooth thing - obviously they won't disolve over night. Then all of the people drinking coke would be teethless. But when you add up all the effects of drinking coke (and coffe, and juice, and other stuff) it's bad for your teeth. One can of coke will not make your teeth fall out, but they will definitely be less stronger. And you can't regenerate your teeth. Believe me, it'll be easier for your teeth to go bad, and break, and fall out, and every tooth missing is less food chewed enough which can couse other digestive problems and subsequently affect your whole body and...Ok, got carried away. I'm really serious about this. :lol:

Brida, I'm with you. One can of Normal coke or Pepsi contains 7 spoonfuls of sugar. That is bad on so many levels. Tooth enamel is a very hard substance but sugar leaches calcium out of the body, also sugar+bacteria destroys your gums.....also Kell and Johnny, if Phenylalanine is SO harmless why do they HAVE to write a warning on every product containing it BY LAW in the UK? Easy to put a website to confuse the issue....companies only use it because it is cheaper than sugar. They don't care about your health.

Today I've learnt how to price second-hand books, cull ones that aren't selling and rotate them with new stock. An intensive first morning at Oxfam!

!!! Is working there changing your mind about second hand books? We get quite a lot of nice ones. I've had so many that are as good as new. Plus reeeeaaally old ones that feel like they have a history. The hardcover ones with just brown or red covers and black writing. Mmmm.

I learned that Bellsprout, a grass type Pokemon, is susceptible to Confusion, a psychic attack. I really must look up the ins and outs of physic and ghost Pokemon, I usually just prefer to avoid them, but I love my Butterfree so much and it only has Confusion to attack with so far.