Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned that (apparently) Diet Coke is NOT calorie free! Coke refuses to change it though, even though they continuously get fined for having incorrect informatio on the label, because the fine is just a pittance. :D

I was told this years ago so it may have changed or may never have been true but I think it was one of my teachers that said a lot of diet drinks have an ingredient in which increases your appetite so they're slightly self defeating.

Like I say it could be hogwash.

Dangit. This thread has become rather depressing in the last 24 hours.

Here's one to cheer you up if you can stand it :D

Drinking 16 ounces of ice water(0 degrees Celsius), requires the body to burn 17.5 Calories to warm the water up to body temperature. The recommended daily intake of water is 64 ounces (eight 8-ounce glasses). The body will burn 70 Calories if this amount is consumed as ice water

I learned that (apparently) Diet Coke is NOT calorie free! Coke refuses to change it though, even though they continuously get fined for having incorrect informatio on the label, because the fine is just a pittance. :D

I learned today that this is false. I checked it out on Snopes because i was so curious. :D

Part of the write-up there says:

If there is the tiniest bit of truth to this rumor, it's that even though sodas such as Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are advertised as having zero calories, they do have some caloric content from ingredients such as artificial sweeteners, citric acid, and caramel coloring. However, the number of calories per can is still less than one, and FDA regulations allow any food product that contains fewer than five calories per serving to be advertised as calorie-free.

I also learned it would be very possible to waste an entire day looking at stuff on the Snopes site because it's so interesting! :irked:

the number of calories per can is still less than one, and FDA regulations allow any food product that contains fewer than five calories per serving to be advertised as calorie-free.

WHEY HEY!!! Back to drink diet coke then! :D

Thanks for clearing that up Kell!

I learned that error code 12 on our environmental chamber means the water reservoir is empty.

Of course I found this out the hard way when the machine stopped working and we had to repeat a three hour run.

Don't just clear error messages, go and find out what they mean!*

*That's something I already knew, but generally ignore!

The German composer Beethoven was taught music by the Austrian composers Mozart and Haydn and the Italian composer Salieri. He himself was of Belgian extraction - his grandfather was a Belgian.

Today I learned that Loreal and Body Shop are both part-owned by Nestle. :irked:This means I won't be using their stuff any more as I'm boycotting Nestle.

They have shares in Body shop??!!!

well that stops me going there then.

As for the reasons why you should Boycott all Nestle items. There are loads of them.

Psuhing formula baby milk to mothers in developing countries, even campaigners claim that it cause many unneccesary deaths to infants. Tjhey would hand out free powdered milk in the maternity wards and then stop when they were released which cause many parents the need to continue the formula afterwards. Of course many parents could not afford the milk and would either not get it or buy it and use half the amount of measures which of course led to the baby being malnurished (sorry spelling) They deliberatly cross the line and break many codes of conducts just to put money in their back pockets.

They have many issues also with the treatment of their workers, espeically in the philippines, where there have been accusations of labour right violations in it's factories.

I could really go on all day, and there are loads of websites that are against the company and all it's affliliations. There are more products than what you think.

Thanks Kell for making the Body Shop one known. I can't believe they have the rightsfor that. Conisdering they are suppose to be so ethical!!!

Sorry for the ramble and I probably got some of that wrong due to getting really infuriated!

I was reading yesterday that they source palm oil from a company in Indonesia that has been accused of illegal deforestation and peatland clearance. I think I'll boycott them too, and they've been doing well out of me. :smile2:

A boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane at the Boston University Bridge.

Also, Alaska has the highest percentage of people who walk to work in the U.S.

Edited by CaliLily

Yeah I don't use Nestle products either, but I hadn't realised they had shares in The Body Shop until recently. I also found out we've been breaking it by giving the cat Felix, we've switched to Whiskers now

Yeah I don't use Nestle products either, but I hadn't realised they had shares in The Body Shop until recently. I also found out we've been breaking it by giving the cat Felix, we've switched to Whiskers now

They do? There goes Body Shop as well :smile2: