Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I learned that the characters from Spongebob are supposed to represent the seven deadly sins: Patrick for Sloth, Squidward for Wrath, Sandy for Pride, Mr Krabs for Greed, Gary for Gluttony, Plankton for Jealousy, and Spongebob for Lust.

Today I learned that a pocong is believed to be an Indonesian or Malaysian ghost that is said to be the soul of a dead person trapped in their 'suit'.

They often cover the dead body with white fabric and bind the deceased person in this clothing. The ghost cannot walk, the fashion in which it is tied causes the pocong to hop.

According to the native beliefs, the soul of a dead person will stay on the earth for 40 days after this. If it is not freed and released after this time has elapsed, then the body is said to leap out from the grave to demand that it's soul is to be released.

Well it's not like it was renamed to hurt it's feelings... it's a dwarf, and a part of the Kuiper belt, which wasn't know when it was deemed a planet. There's a bigger dwarf planet than it, so to class it a proper planet, and not the larger one (which isn't a planet) makes no sense.

I didn't learn anything today. Hm.

I learned that it is possible that we can create rain clouds, potentially change hurricane courses and even create earthquake activity. Interesting!

Yeah it ain't astronomy it's something to do with a mysterious thing called HAARP.

I also learned that Brokeback Mountain is banned from China (for it's depictions of homosexuality :S).

Actually, logic is exactly why Pluto is no longer a main planet.

It's still a dwarf.

Are you sizist?

Admit it. You have it in for dwarf planets. Fo' shame, Abby.

ETA: Brokeback Mountain is a FANTASTIC movie, and the short story is equally heartwrenching.

Hey I'm an equal opportunity plant supporter. Why should we call Pluto a 'dwarf planet' and not Mercury? Or how about we call Jupiter a 'chubby planet' or how about Venus? Is Venus the 'backwards planet'.

All planets deserve equality! No planet should be left behind (or forgotten)!

A dwarf planet, as defined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), is a celestial body orbiting the Sun that is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity but has not cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals and is not a satellite.

That's why. :blush:

What is our members learning?

It sounds like nonsensical space jargon. I like Saturn, i've always loved it. Did you know that Saturn's name is from the god of the harvest, Saturnus in Roman mythology?

I have this way expensive and quite epic encyclopedia thing on the universe and it's various components, it's beautiful :blush:

LOL non-sensical space jargon? What is difficult is that sentence? It's perfectly straight forward and it's why Pluto is a dwarf and not a major.

I still haven't learned anything other than that Mexicans and Abby seem to humanize a hunk of rock in space. :tong::blush:

Pretty but deadly.

Over 1,000 miles an hour winds :blush:, probably no actual ground to walk on. Around -300 temperatures. Methane and ammonia (I think) aplenty in the atmosphere.

So, basically, don't book a holiday there because you will DIE.

MOONS! I think they should ALL be planets. We need 151 planets.

There's lighting storms on Jupiter and it's moons which spark electric discharge between them.*

*May not be true, but something like it was on the Discovery Channel.

Maybe sometime in the future they will make a space suit so that we can visit Saturn with a temperature regulator and a jet pack! That would be awesome. :blush:

Neptune is cool too. I've always loved the sea so I love its name.

We should, all planets should be welcome to join if they so wish.