Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are both blummin interesting ned! :D

It wasn't today, but I learned this week that the name Pakistan is an acronym!

P = Punjab

A = Afghania

K = Kashmir

I = Indus Valley

S = Sindh

T = Turkharistan

A = Afghanistan

N = BalochistaN

Additionally Stan means land of /home of, and the word Pak means pure, so it has the meaning 'Land Of The Pure'.

Those are both blummin interesting ned! :D

It wasn't today, but I learned this week that the name Pakistan is an acronym!

P = Punjab

A = Afghania

K = Kashmir

I = Indus Valley

S = Sindh

T = Turkharistan

A = Afghanistan

N = BalochistaN

Additionally Stan means land of /home of, and the word Pak means pure, so it has the meaning 'Land Of The Pure'.

That's really interesting Chrissy :D

OK, nobody laugh, but I have learnt what the purpose of slalom skiing actually is. I always just saw people skiing down a mountain and hitting flags, so I thought that was the object (hit a certain amount of flags). Now I finally realise that it's all about getting down the quickest. :D Many, many years ago I even had a Winter Olympics game on the C64, and I always played slalom by hitting as many flags as I could. :D

OK, nobody laugh, but I have learnt what the purpose of slalom skiing actually is. I always just saw people skiing down a mountain and hitting flags, so I thought that was the object (hit a certain amount of flags). Now I finally realise that it's all about getting down the quickest. :D Many, many years ago I even had a Winter Olympics game on the C64, and I always played slalom by hitting as many flags as I could. :D

:D Ah that's so canny Kylie :D

Up until the 17th century Puritans made wicker effigies of the Pop, filled it with live cats and then set the lot on fire

Good god! What the hell for? What did they have against cats? :D

Up until the 17th century Puritans made wicker effigies of the Pope, filled it with live cats and then set the lot on fire

Apparently they liked the sounds they made while burning.

Oh my dear God! :friends0:

.....................I'm still speechless!

Today I learned that candles can be lit again after the wick has turned black, I had always been afraid that when my candles finish burning, that they are done and dead, but no, I can light them again without fear! :D

Apart from keeping the head warm, one of the uses of our hair is to warn our heads that we are about to knock it. It's a fact that people who are bald, bang their heads far more often than those who have hair. The hair acts as an early warning system.

Today I learned that candles can be lit again after the wick has turned black, I had always been afraid that when my candles finish burning, that they are done and dead, but no, I can light them again without fear! :D

Oh, Rawr.... :D

Apart from keeping the head warm, one of the uses of our hair is to warn our heads that we are about to knock it. It's a fact that people who are bald, bang their heads far more often than those who have hair. The hair acts as an early warning system.

Cool. I will let my OH know that it wasn't the drink that made him hit his head last time it was his lack of hair!:D