Something I've Learned Today

ned

Not to walk across my room when I wake up, with my eyes closed because I tend to fall over things that I cannot see.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to walk across my room when I wake up, with my eyes closed because I tend to fall over things that I cannot see.

Try crossing a child's room in the dead of night, as you will stumble on the most painful objects known to mankind; lego pieces, marbles and upturned plugs! :D

I learned that Michael Whelan, who designed the fabulous covers for the Coldfire Trilogy also designed Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell 2: Back Into Hell" album and "The Very Best Of Meat Loaf" compilation artwork, and that:

He is currently working full time on his fine art paintings, but in the past three decades he has created more than 350 book and album covers for authors and artists like Isaac Asimov, Anne McCaffrey, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Stephen King, the Jacksons, Sepultura, and MeatLoaf. His clients have included every major U.S. book publisher in addition to such diverse companies as National Geographic, Roadrunner Records, and The Franklin Mint.

What a talent.

I learned that the force of the earthquake in Chile has slightly moved the earth's axis and therefore the route of it's orbit shortens the length of a day by 1.26 microseconds.

Although it seems like a miniscule amount of time now, scientists reckon that all these microseconds have added up over the course of the earth's history and they're the reason we have a leap year.

I learned that the force of the earthquake in Chile has slightly moved the earth's axis and therefore the route of it's orbit shortens the length of a day by 1.26 microseconds.

Although it seems like a miniscule amount of time now, scientists reckon that all these microseconds have added up over the course of the earth's history and they're the reason we have a leap year.

Truly awesome. Thank you for sharing that.

OK, that is possibly the greatest fact i have heard. :lol: Thanks

Yay for relativity! Science is fun, kids. That concept, set in space (as it most often is, since nobody is going to be travelling at near light speed on Earth) is the basis for one of my favourite anime shorts.

Another physics one. Not learnt today but I often think of it and it's pretty impressive.

The Sun loses 4 million tonnes of mass every second. But because it's a big ol' fatty that's only one 10-million-million-millionth of 1% of its mass which is just over 0.1% of its mass since its birth.

...I found the other thing I was looking for. In Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku he says that anti-matter behaves exactly the same as normal matter would if the normal matter was travelling backwards in time. He also says that "it is the explanation currently accepted today". I did not know that and it blows my tiny mind. Whether it turns out to be wrong or not it's amazing.

Uht oh! What happened?

Oh I tripped over my trousers and fell against the wall, leaving a bruise, I saw my doctor and told her I had bruises that I did not know how I got, we talked, I am just accident prone :D

Not to back up without looking when i'm pushing a trolley in a supermarket and doing shopping list juggling in my mind, this curious little girl was standing right next to me and I only just noticed an inch away from mowing her down, she seemed to find it funny :D

It is when you think what the weapons have achieved and what could have been achieved with the money drained.