Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

I had to walk miles before I found a place where the river was wide and shallow enough for me to wade and swim, and then miles back again to pick up the tracks again. By that time it was too late for me to follow them far. They went straight off in the direction of the pine-woods on the east side of the Misty Mountains, where we had our pleasant little party with the Wargs the night before last.

The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom whispered a curse. He opened the door slightly and listened to the quick tap-tap - tap-tap of Freddie's shoes descending the stairs. He wanted to make sure Freddie got out without speaking to one of the Buffis again.

- The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

THE UNCOMMON READER - Alan Benntt

And slightly off-topic, I was looking at this in Sainsbury's today - it looks rather good!

• 1 year later...

Retiring to the couch, he stretched out to finish his reading in comfort. He was surprised to turn a page and find Mallory's job proposal for placing the boy in a remote scientific community. There, he would not be a solitary freak, but one of many such freaks, and he would cease his ritual attempts to kill himself every Halloween; this had been Mallory's argument for selling an unbalanced job candidate.

(Winter House by Carol O'Connell)

Mods (and rockers!) no offence taken if you delete if you don't think it's a good idea to resurrect this dead thread! :readingtwo:

Good thread resurrection, Chrissy! :readingtwo:

Yesterday, when Margot, Peter, and I were peeling potatoes, somehow the conversation turned to Moffi. "We still don't know what sex Moffi is, do we?" I asked.

"Yes, certainly," Peter answered. "He's a tom."

The Diary of Anne Frank

"My master kept his room; I took possession of the lonely parlour, converting it into a nursery: and there I was sitting, with the moaning doll of a child lain on my knee; rocking it to and fro, and watching, meanwhile, the still driving flakes build up at the uncurtained window, when the door opened, and some person entered, out of breath and laughing! My anger was greater than my astonishment for a minute. I supposed it one of the maids, and I cried "Have done! - "

Wuthering Heights

"There's a connection between the attack here in Savja and John's murder," Fredriksson continued. "The attacker went to school with this woman and John Jonsson."

"Has he been apprehended?"

The Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson (in my briefcase TBR next)

So eerie that the quote actually mentions the murder in that precise page and paragraph.

"And eventually I was able to lever myself out of the chair and prepare to rejoin the world; to go home to sleep, and then to start afresh the next morning. It wasn't so bad. The worst that could happen would be failure."

Stone's Fall: A Novel - Iain Pears

"He was dressed in a suit that declared its vintage as circa 1970s. The trouser legs were flared, while the beltline that must have once hugged his hips and waist was rolled up and tied around his waistline with an old tie. The Jacket had two vents in the back." ~ The short story The Mupandawana Dancing Champion in An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah

"Whoever conjured the Mark could have Disapparated right after they'd done it, leaving Harry's want behind. A clever thing to do, not using their own wand, which could have betrayed them. And Winky here had the misfortune to come across the wand moments later and pick it up."

Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling (My brothers re-reading it and it was right next to me, better hurry up and finish OotP for him :readingtwo:)

"Trouble is, you're not dressed the part," Lula said to me. "You gotta be in black leather."

"I'm not wearing black leather," I told her. "And you shouldn't either. You look like an S&M ad."

"This is bounty hunter clothes," Lula said. "All the bounty hunters on television wear clothes like this."

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich

9:30: The stoves are lit. The blackout curtains are taken down and the Van Daans go into the bathroom. One of my Sunday morning tortures is that lying in bed I have to look straight at Dussel's back when he's praying.

Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex.

Never knew we had this book. :readingtwo:

In it's influential editorial on the Road Hill murder, the Morning Post alluded to this case: 'That it should be a child [who killed Saville] would be incredible if Eugenie Plummer had not taught us to what length the wicked precocity of some children will extend.' Eugenia's precocity was sexual, but it also rested in her cool decit, her composure under pressure, the containment and chanelling of her disturbance into bare lies. If newspaper readers had been horrified to find a clergyman convicted of sexually molesting a child in 1859, they must have been more disturbed, a year later, to find the situation had been turned upside-down to reveal the child as the agent of evil, a creature who had undone a man's life with her lewd imaginings.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. - Kate Summerscale.

'Maar de heftigheid was vals. Hopeloos. Ze was nu op een afstand van me, haar kleine schouders strak en vastberaden, haar stap snel, als van een klein meisje, dat op zondag met haar ouders aan het wandelen is en vooruit wil gaan en doen alsof ze helemaal alleen is.'

(roughly translated as: 'But the vehemence was false. Hopeless. She was now at a distance from me, her little shoulders tight and resolute, her step quick, as of a little girl, who goes for a walk with her parents on Sunday and wants to lead the way and pretend she's all alone.')

'Dagboek van een onsterfelijke', translated from 'Interview with the vampire' by Anne Rice.

"People were yelling and shouting from all over now. There was a babble of tiny voices in both Horza's ears, but all he could really hear was the thundering noise behind him. The deck beneath his feet bucked and trembled, as though the whole gigantic ship was a building caught in an earthquake."

Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks

'Kids,' Parkins explained patiently. 'You know how they sometimes like to devil new folks. Throw rocks or ring the bell an' run away... that sort of thing.'

'No,' Straker said. 'No children.'

'We seem to kind have misplaced one.'

'Salem's Lot, Stephen King

Curious, I began to listen in to his head, and I was startled out of my gloom by what I heard there.

'So casting spells to back up your insurance really works?' I asked.

He yelped.

Charlaine Harris - Dead As A Doornail

(Again covered for the members of the bookring)

'While her parents slept unawares in their bedroom across the landing, Alice had spent night after night awake in the dark, hands gripping the covers tightly, determined to conquer her demons alone. But not for years now. It had left her alone for years.'

Labyrinth ~ Kate Mosse

'A regurgitating toilet?'

'Anti-Muggle pranksters,' said Mr Weasley, frowning. 'We had two last week, one in Wimbledon, one in Elephant and Castle. Muggles are pulling the flush and instead of everything disappearing - well, you can imagine. The poor things keep calling in those - pumbles, i think they're called - you know, the ones who mend pipes and things.'

;)Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J K Rowling.