Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

'Eva!' roared the Fury for a second time, and now she started to walk away from them'

The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For instance, the programmer must supply the condition to be evaluated. The condition must be a Boolean expression, which is an expression that results in a Boolean value (True or False). In addition to supplying the condition, the programmer also must supply the statements to be processed when the condition evaluates to true and, optionally, when the condition evaluates to false.

Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Reloaded by Diane Zak

Facinating - such imagery and amazingly well developed charaters. I must read it :D

We had to come to some sort of arrangement. We had elected to have one bunk for the two of us, one of the very top ones, which are very hot and can't be reached without undertaking the most perilous and ridiculous contortions. THe parents had taken the two bottom bunks, and the children had distributed themselves as best they could among the three remaining.

~ The Sexual Life of Catherine M by Catherine Millet

(Thank goodness the 6th, 7th & 8th sentences on page 123 weren't of a sexual nature!)

There were six beds in the dormitory, and the sheets, marked in huge letters 'Stolen from No.- Road', Smelt loathsome. In the next bed to me lay a very old man, a pavement artist, with some extraordinary curvature of the spine that made him stick right out of bed, with his back a foot or two from my face. It was bare, and marked with curious swirls of dirt, like a marble table-top.

DOWN AND OUT IN PARIS AND LONDON

George Orwell

Commoners were just about allowed a stick to throw. Magrat found herself wondering what Nanny Ogg would be allowed - a small chicken on a spring, probably.

There was no specific falcon for a withch but, as a queen, the Lancre rules of falconry allowed her to fly the wowhawk or Lappet-faced Worrier.

LORDS AND LADIES

Terry Pratchett

Some more of Anita's

"Nothing helps you sleep at night so much as being absolutely certain that you're right, and everyone else is evil. "

"There's no one so self-righteous as someone policing someone else's morality."

[Talking to friend Veronica, Anita Blake worries she may be pregnant.]

Ronnie: I could ask, who's the father, but that's just creepy. If you are, then it's this little tiny, microscopic lump of cells. It's not a baby. It's not a person, not yet.

Anita: We'll have to disagree on that one.

Ronnie: You're pro-choice.

Anita: Yep, I am, but I also believe that abortion is taking a life. I agree women have the right to choose, but I also think that it's still taking a life.

Ronnie: That's like saying you're pro-choice and pro-life. You can't be both.

Anita: I'm pro-choice because I've never been a fourteen-year-old incest victim pregnant by her father, or a woman who's going to die if the pregnancy continues, or a rape victim, or even a teenager who made a mistake. I want women to have choices, but I also believe that it's a life, especially once it's big enough to live outside the womb.

'Emile would not make a mistake like that,' said Christopher, keeping his brother under close scrutiny. 'As soon as he went into the studio this morning, he saw that it was gone.'

'Where was it kept?'

'On an easel near the window.'

The Painted Lady by Edward Marston:readingtwo:

What was the routine on Tuesday afternoons? Why was there no register taken? Was there any likelihood that Valerie had, in fact, returned to school that afternoon, and only later disappeared?

LAST SEEN WEARING (re-read)

Colin Dexter

At this I protested so strongly that I think she believed me honest, for she took the money and gave me a warm new plaid for it, and an old hat of her man`s. She showed me how to wrap the plaid round my shoulders, and when I left that cottage I was the living image of the kind of Scotsman you see in the illustrations to Burns`s poems. But at any rate I was more or less clad.

The Thirty Nine Steps - John Buchan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Anti-Muggle Pranksters,' Said Mr Weasley, frowning, 'We had two last week, one in Wimbledon, one in the elephant and castle. Muggles are pulling the flush and instaed of everything disappearing - well you can imagine. The poor things keep calling in those -pumbles, I think they're called - you know, the ones who mend pipes and things.'

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I know it is longer than the 3 lines but i wanted to get in all on as it is quite funny as Mr Weasley is talking about regurgitating public toilets!!

There was a lot more, but I was ready for it. I'd known there would be major trouble when I got back, even though the most important thing was that Sadie has been cured.

"But look at Sadie!" I snap.

The Tide Knot by Helen Dunmore (my current book)

So fortunate! Otherwise, they might have been one short.

Mrs Murdoch was another person that evening for whom Anne Scott was little more than a tragic but bearable memory.

THE DEAD OF JERICHO (re-read)

Colin Dexter

• 4 weeks later...

"Thus I suffered much with thee and much I toiled, being mindful that the gods in nowise created any issue of my body; but I made thee my son, thou godlike Achilles, that thou mayest yet save me from grievous destruction. Therefore, Achilles, rule thy high spirit; neither beseemeth it thee to have a ruthless heart. Nay, even the very gods can bend, and theirs withal is loftier majesty and honour and might."

The Illiad - Homer

I swear it was the closest book to me apart from History books.