What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I am 80 pages into Her Fearful symmetry and I have to be honest and say that i am hating it. I just hope that it gets better, very disappointing.

'Hate' is a strong word for a book! If you feel that strongly, why continue?

I'm listening to it as an audiobook at the moment, and whilst I like the actual writing, I'm struggling a bit with the characters - I really don't like Elspeth, or the twins!

More books in the mail today. Yay! I love coming home to more book packages every single day. :)

I got the first 8 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series (thanks to all the hype about it here!) :lol:)

Oooh I'm so jealous, I would love to be reading them for the first time! I really hope you like them Kylie! :D

I finished The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern last night and ended up really enjoying the last of it, I will write my thoughts soon. (Which reminds me, I have my thoughts on the Stuart MacBride book I read before it to write too, seems so long ago now :motz:)

I started Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz when I went to bed but only managed 4 pages before my eyes closed :)

I resisted the book for a long time as well for just that reason. I generally steer clear of books that have 'clever' titles. It just seems they're trying too hard to get my attention. But with all the great things I kept hearing about it I finally decided to bite the bullet and read it. And I'm glad I did. :)

It's difficult for me speak about this book as I haven't read it, but the title of the book comes from a line spoken by Sherlock Holmes in The Silver Blaze and I have been told that the story alludes to Sherlock.

I ordered three books from the Tudor series by Philippa Gregory:

The Constant Princess

The Boleyn Inheritance

The Queen's Fool

I have already read The Other Boleyn Girl, so am reading the rest chronologically - leaving that one out.

I also ordered the last book from the Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfeld: Extras.

And Stray by Rachel Vincent.

Oh no, Frankie! That's unfortunate :). Thankfully it didn't take up too much of your time, huh?

I read quite a bit more of Curious Incident last night and am exactly halfway through now. It's very intriguing to read a book from this kind of perspective! I love it :D. SueK, I didn't know that about the title, but it makes sense because the main character Christopher likes Sherlock Holmes stories since he himself likes being a 'detective.'

Have fun with Sookie, Kylie! Goodness knows they are a big hit here :). I need to get off my you-know-what and read the rest of those (I've only read 2).

Peacefield nope, fortunately it's a very short novel and it didn't take me too much time to read. That's the only good thing I can say about the book. And I've already recovered from my disappointment as I started Karin Slaughter's Kisscut! I've only read 29 pages and I'm hooked already, I don't know how she does it but Slaughter is amazing :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying The Curious Incident, it's definitely very unique as the narrator is not the most ordinary character in the world of literature.

Still reading The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. Only 56 pages in. It's still not quite grabbing my attention. There's so many names, and half the time he seems to forget to mention who is actually in any given scene before said people start going things, so it's easy to get completely confused.

Or maybe it's just delirium from my flu.

Regrettably, I had to put down The Lions of Al-Rassan for the time being. I am not sure if it is because I am distracted by this forum (which is not a problem, I will settle in), or there are too many characters with similar names and it is confusing, or if I am just not in the mood for this book at the moment. It may be a combination of all three. In any case, I don't hate it. I just haven't been grasping what I am reading. I could either start over, or return to this novel later. I choose the latter.

So on to the next book, The Book of Lost Things. :)

We have a new thread already? Wow, I've missed out on a lot, haven't I? :D

Let's see... I've been reading Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express, now busy with One, Two, Buckle My Shoe.

And I bought today, Train to Triste by Domnica Radulescu and The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. *deep breath*

:)

Wahey! That's quite the popular book on here, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Well, I love fairy tales. I have the complete Brother's Grimm and the complete Hans Christian Andersen collections, and I have heard that this book references fairy tales. So I am already excited about delving into Connolly's book. :)

Yes, it explores several fairytales, and they're all very, very dark interpretations. It also includes information about the original tales at the end. It's quite a heavy book, it's graphic and it's pyschological, and it's definately not a children's book.

Yes, it explores several fairytales, and they're all very, very dark interpretations. It also includes information about the original tales at the end. It's quite a heavy book, it's graphic and it's pyschological, and it's definately not a children's book.

Well, frankly, many of the Grimm and Andersen fairy tales in their original form were not children's stories. :)

On the bus/tube towards my doomed errands of the day, I read a bit more of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Book One - Prodigal Son. I'm not quite sure what I think of it so far, the idea's good and Koontz does come up with the occasional good figure of speech but it seems all a bit crime-y and swearing-y for my taste. I was expecting something more in the vein of Stephen King's The Dark Half, to be honest. Then again, I'm only 30pp in so things might always improve...

Or maybe it's just delirium from my flu.

You're not well?? So sorry I missed this hun, hope you feel better soon! :)

Read the first 50 pages of Odd Thomas today, think I'm gonna like this one :D