What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still reading my Judi Picoult book and loving it!!

Have sent hubby and daughter on a book hunt for me though......Flashforward from the tv series. Would usually order it online but cant trust the post and Im too impatient to wait :D

I said I would finish Wind-Up Bird Chronicle this weekend. Fat chance of that happening though as so far this weekend I have not read one.single.word. :D I had planned on reading last evening but ended up getting caught up in some mindless movie for some reason and then was just to tired to read ....I did open the book though. :D

Started reading Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult for the about the third time yesterday. Thankfully this time I've managed to get into it and I'm already 100+ pages in. I also bought From Dead To Worse - Charlaine Harris thinking it was the next one in the series and it's not :D. Thankfully I realised before I read it this time so I'll have to buy the next one first...

My mojo has gone away, and not left a forwarding address. :D

Sorry to hear this, I know how you feel, mine has been doing this a LOT lately :D. Mind you I did manage to read half a book while I was in hospital and finished it when I got home. I've now started The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern but, yet again, my mojo has up and left :D

Probably my most favorite book of all time, Kylie, Count of Monte Cristo :D. Good choice for reading! Has he read it before?

No he hasn't read it before. He's more of a sci-fi person rather than classics, so he's decided to branch out and he let me pick one for him. :D Although he strongly hinted that he would like to read the Count as he's seen a movie version of it and loved it (I've assured him that no movie can do justice to the brilliance of the book...I hope he agrees!)

Excellent pick, Kylie, and I hope he likes it too! :D I've seen a few different versions of that book in film, and honestly I don't even know why they bother. There's so much in the book it would probably be a 6 hour movie if they tried to include it all.

Excellent pick, Kylie, and I hope he likes it too! :D I've seen a few different versions of that book in film, and honestly I don't even know why they bother. There's so much in the book it would probably be a 6 hour movie if they tried to include it all.

I've only seen one version - I think with Guy Pearce - and I couldn't watch it for long. It just didn't come close to doing justice to the book! It would work well as a mini-series maybe, but even then I doubt anyone would be able to perfectly capture all the elements that make the story so terrific.

I got two books in the mail today:

Malorie Blackman: Knife Edge

Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter: Firstborn

There's also a larger parcel awaiting collection at the post office, either from Amazon or the Book Depository. :D

I have just finished Kim Harrison's The Good, The Bad and The Undead and now I am going to start Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Oh I hope you enjoy Darkly Dreamin Dexter! :D

As for me, just been too tired to read, only managed 40 pages of Club Dead. Don't thinkI will get much read today, maybe tonight.

I finished The Vagrants yesterday - brilliant read which I would highly recommend. Have now started No Destination by Satish Kumar. Satish is the Editor of Resurgence magazine and is of the Jain faith. I remember reading a review of his book maybe 20 years ago, and have been looking for it on and off ever since, so was delighted to find a copy of it in Growing Needs in Glastonbury (the best book shop in town - they even stock my book!).

It is basically the story of his life, and a very interesting one at that. He became a monk at the age of 9 and when he turned 18 began a journey basically hitch hiking around the world with no money, as a kind of peace troubadour. I have just finished chapter one and can't wait to read more.

I'm merrily carrying on with Angie Sage's 'Magyk' - my mojo has raised an eyebrow at my enjoyment level!

'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett arrived today, so despite a wobbly mojo, Mount TBR is increasing - that's the optimism of a reader for you! :D

'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett arrived today, so despite a wobbly mojo, Mount TBR is increasing - that's the optimism of a reader for you!
Good Omens is a work of staggering genius :D hopefully it will kick your mojo into an upright position!

I've got about 80 pages left in "Rumors" by Anna Godbersen.. should finish it pretty easily today or tomorrow.

I also went to a used bookstore here that I looked up online before we moved, and found some great super old classics for $1 !! Raja was bored and rushing me, so I only managed to snag "Little Women" and "Oliver Twist" but they're really old and look so full of character.. I love it! Bargains :D

Oh, and I downloaded the first two chapters of "Wuthering Heights" as a free audiobook .. Going to listen to that while I'm on the elliptical later today.

Edited by bethany725
added somethin' :)

Kylie, I saw the version with Pearce, one awful old black and white version, and a mini-series from the 90's with Gerard Depardieu which was barely passable just because at least it was a little longer. He was not my idea of Edmund Dantes though :D.

Yay for bargains, Bethany :D. I bet there are a ton of little places like that you'll discover - NYC is so big!

I hope so! I've only hit up one so far, but I have a few others on a list to check out, and surely I'll stumble upon others like you said. Should be fun! :D You know where else I've found great books for cheaper? TJ Maxx and Marshall's! -- Mostly cookbooks and coffee table books, things like that .. but quite the selection and lots of discounts. :D