What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of Delight by J B Priestley turned up in the post this morning. :friends0:

And I've just started reading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill for my Bookworms meeting next Tuesday.

My copy of Delight also turned up this morning Janet. I must say it looks like it will be a delight to read.:D

I've almost finished The Arsenic Labyrinth, the third in a trilogy of crime thrillers by Martin Edwards that take place in the Lake District. They are excellent reading.

Went to the library and got me these:

- Jean-Dominique Bauby: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

- Alexis Wright: Carpentaria (anyone read this?)

- Karin Slaughter: Indelible

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Now I have to find time to read these.

Chrissy and Charm :friends0:

Thanks Gyre :hug:

I have just finished Kim Harrison's The Good, The Bad and The Undead and now I am going to start Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Oooh I really hope you enjoy Darkly Dreaming Dexter, I think he's great! :D

'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett arrived today, so despite a wobbly mojo, Mount TBR is increasing - that's the optimism of a reader for you!

Oh my optimism never wanes! Even though my mojo has done a disappearing act, I went book shopping today too :D

I bought in Waterstone's with book vouchers I got last month for my birthday:

Frostbitten ~by~ Kelley Armstrong

The Book Of Lost Salem ~by~ Katherine Howe

Dracula The Un-Dead ~by~ Dacre Stoker

Night's Edge (book of short stories) ~by~ Charlaine Harris, Maggie Shayne and Barbara Hambly

I also went through the charity shops and bought:

Bone Cold ~by~ Erica Spindler

Blood and Gold ~by~ Anne Rice

I really hope my mojo comes home soon!

I'm also determined to finish Sleepyhead today, I'm sick of reading it :lol:

I almost bought this today out of a charity shop, sounds like it's just as well I didn't :lol:

Our book buying in the face of lost reading mojos must be the reader's equivalent of breadcrumbs through the forest. I can see these impish looking mojos pooping their heads out from behind trees and sniggering..............

.........................Oh God, I've finally cracked!

I can see these impish looking mojos pooping their heads out from behind trees and sniggering..............

.........................Oh God, I've finally cracked!

As long as I catch one of the wee buggers soon, I don't care, I'll just keep trying!

... you cracked a while ago me dear! :friends0:

Frostbitten ~by~ Kelley Armstrong

The Book Of Lost Salem ~by~ Katherine Howe

Dracula The Un-Dead ~by~ Dacre Stoker

Night's Edge (book of short stories) ~by~ Charlaine Harris, Maggie Shayne and Barbara Hambly

Bone Cold ~by~ Erica Spindler

Bloody hell Charm, what a great haul!! I want me all of those! No wonder you're grinning!

I almost bought this today out of a charity shop, sounds like it's just as well I didn't :friends0:

Well Sleepyhead is not a bad book perse but it seems to drag on a bit too much. I've been reading it for a week now and I have Karin Slaughter books waiting for me to start them, that's really making me wanna finish Sleepyhead soon but I just can't seem to do it!

Bloody hell Charm, what a great haul!! I want me all of those! No wonder you're grinning!!

I know! I guess you could say I'm quite pleased :friends0:

Well Sleepyhead is not a bad book perse but it seems to drag on a bit too much. I've been reading it for a week now and I have Karin Slaughter books waiting for me to start them, that's really making me wanna finish Sleepyhead soon but I just can't seem to do it!

I feel the same way about The Book Of Tomorrow ~by~ Cecelia Ahern as I now have new stuff I just want to get to, but I will stick at it. It will probably pick up, her stuff usually does.

Excellent haul, Charm, and woo-hoo for the Katherine Howe book! One of my faves from this year :friends0:. Please let us know when you decide to read it - I can't wait to hear what you think!

Do you want to finish Sleepyhead, Frankie? Maybe you should move on to the Slaughters since they might start burning a hole in your TBR pile :lol:. I hate to quit a book though, I understand the frustration.

No book activity for me today, unless you consider coming in here on my wee breaks at work! I've half a mind to go over to 1/2 Price Books after work though today instead of the market :D.

Do you want to finish Sleepyhead, Frankie? Maybe you should move on to the Slaughters since they might start burning a hole in your TBR pile :lol:. I hate to quit a book though, I understand the frustration.

I'm already more than halfway through the book and I just know that if I stop reading it, I'll forget the names of the characters and what's happened so far and I wouldn't want to pick it up again! So I'm effing gonna finish it!!! :friends0:

:D

Excellent haul, Charm, and woo-hoo for the Katherine Howe book! One of my faves from this year :friends0:. Please let us know when you decide to read it - I can't wait to hear what you think!

Well it was due to your excitement and review that I decided to read it and I'm really looking forward to it. I will let you know what I think as soon as I've finished it :D

:lol: At your bowing comment, Gyre. I need to use that icon more often, I like it!

I like your enthusiasm, Frankie! Finish that book! :friends0:

I'm glad I influenced your buying decision, Charm, and now I really hope you aren't disappointed! :D

- Jean-Dominique Bauby: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

- Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Diving Bell, and I recently bought Do Androids Dream as well, but I'm trying to hold off reading it until next year, when I plan on having a dystopian reading year. :friends0:

I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Diving Bell, and I recently bought Do Androids Dream as well, but I'm trying to hold off reading it until next year, when I plan on having a dystopian reading year. :hug:

I'm not expecting much from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (I've just learned the title, I always used to call it The Dividing Bell and the Hummingbird for who knows why), I think it's definitely not the kind of book I'd normally read and I was bored at the idea of possibly watching the movie, but I read some people's conversation about the book on here (I wonder who the people were...) and decided to give it a go. The novel's real short, like 112 pages or so so I think I can manage it.

Now, about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I remember you bought the book from the bookfare, your BF almost snatched it himself but you managed to get it in the end. Somehow I got the impression that you'd already read the book (probably because you seemed to have wanted it so bad) and I remembered that the book is also on the 1001 Books -list (!! :lol:). After that each time I've been in the library I've remembered the book (not the whole title, just Electric Sheep -part which doesn't help) and wanted to borrow it, but it wasn't until today that I remembered Philip K. Dick might have been the author. So I went to the fantasy/sci-fi section and went through all of Dick's books and checked their original title and hurray I finally found the book! :friends0: I have no idea if I'll like it or not, a friend of mine told me that his books are pretty weird and the Electric Sheep books is his worst. Wow, that was a long and probably a very unnecessary explanation :D

Too bad you've decided not to read it til next year but hey it's only a couple of months away :lol:

Read over 150 pages of Club Dead - Charliane Harris tonight. I have only 80 pages to go so I might finish it if i am not too tired. I am loving this one. After not loving Living Dead in Dallas, this one is a plesant surprise, and I am starting to understand why some people really like Eric.

Yep, Diving Bell is really short so even if you don't enjoy it that much it will still be relatively painless. I thought it was an OK read.

I haven't read any Phillip K Dick before, but I badly wanted Do Androids Dream for ages. I really like dystopians and this seemed to be a really obvious one that I was missing (and yeah, it helps that it's on 1001!) I think because I've wanted it so long I've hyped it up in my mind quite a bit so I hope it doesn't let me down! If you're planning on reading it soon, maybe I can be persuaded as well. :friends0:

I haven't read any Phillip K Dick before, but I badly wanted Do Androids Dream for ages. I really like dystopians and this seemed to be a really obvious one that I was missing (and yeah, it helps that it's on 1001!) I think because I've wanted it so long I've hyped it up in my mind quite a bit so I hope it doesn't let me down! If you're planning on reading it soon, maybe I can be persuaded as well. :lol:

Aaa so it's the dystopian element that draws you in :lol: I knew you like dystopian novels but hadn't heard about Electric Sheep's rep as a rather 'should be read' dystopian. I hope your hyping will be worth it :friends0: I think the title itself is so unique that I'm expecting something out of it just because of that. Don't know exactly when I'll be able to read it and I probably won't be advertising much about me reading it when I do, because there's the chance that I won't 'get' the book and will stop reading it after a couple of pages :D I'm pretty eager to follow how your dystopian year in 2010 will shape out to be, by the way :hug:

Thanks Frankie. I've set up a separate bookshelf for my dystopians, and with several more on the way, I'll be running out of room shortly :D. I plan on reading other stuff as well, of course (even my favourite genre would get a bit too much after a while). I'll have to put some effort into writing proper reviews about them as well. :friends0: