What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

Yep, Diving Bell is really short so even if you don't enjoy it that much it will still be relatively painless. I thought it was an OK read.

I haven't read any Phillip K Dick before, but I badly wanted Do Androids Dream for ages. I really like dystopians and this seemed to be a really obvious one that I was missing (and yeah, it helps that it's on 1001!) I think because I've wanted it so long I've hyped it up in my mind quite a bit so I hope it doesn't let me down! If you're planning on reading it soon, maybe I can be persuaded as well. :friends0:

I hope you don't mind me voicing my opinion here (you don't know me), but I have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I highly recommend it. It will take you on a wild ride where reality is never as it seems. Philip K. Dick is a master of unexpected twists and turns.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you don't mind me voicing my opinion here (you don't know me), but I have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I highly recommend it. It will take you on a wild ride where reality is never as it seems. Philip K. Dick is a master of unexpected twists and turns.

:friends0: I don't mind at all! The more opinions the better!

Thanks for the further recommendation; now I'm even more excited to read it. :D What other works of his have you read? I have a few on my TBR pile, including The Man in the High Castle, which I'm also really looking forward to.

:friends0: I don't mind at all! The more opinions the better!

Thanks for the further recommendation; now I'm even more excited to read it. :D What other works of his have you read? I have a few on my TBR pile, including The Man in the High Castle, which I'm also really looking forward to.

I have also read UBIK, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, and VALIS. UBIK was my favorite. I haven't read The Man in the High Castle, but that is only because I am not really fond of alternate history books. I have heard that is it excellent.

I hope you don't mind me voicing my opinion here (you don't know me), but I have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I highly recommend it. It will take you on a wild ride where reality is never as it seems. Philip K. Dick is a master of unexpected twists and turns. The times i have picked that up in a bookstore and put it back on the shelf choosing something else instead of it. Totally drawn to the book but unsure because of the strange title......i will definately buy it now...thanks for the recommendation

The times i have picked that up in a bookstore and put it back on the shelf choosing something else instead of it. Totally drawn to the book but unsure because of the strange title......i will definately buy it now...thanks for the recommendation [/b]

I kept putting it back too, but mostly because brand-new books are expensive here and I have to be very selective of what I choose!

I finished Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison today and have started on Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich.

I'm also planning on reading a short story by Edgar Allan Poe in time for Halloween, but I haven't decided which one yet.

And I got two books in the mail:

Karel Capek: War with the Newts (dystopian)

Daniel Keyes: Flowers for Algernon

My partner also picked up 4 more packages (I guess containing 4 books) but I won't get them for a couple more hours yet. :friends0:

I got the rest of my book packages:

Malorie Blackman: Checkmate

Malorie Blackman: Double Cross

Cormac McCarthy: The Road

Will Self: The Book of Dave

I'm very happy. :friends0:

:D I keep getting recommended Malorie Blackman's books but I've never seen her books before.

:friends0: I keep getting recommended Malorie Blackman's books but I've never seen her books before.

Lots of people on here really love them! You should give them a try.. maybe see if your local library has them since you haven't seen them while you're out and about before?

I read the first one and thought it was pretty good -- It didn't compel me to read the others in the series, but that's just me and I'm definitely in the minority around here! Still was pretty good though. :D

Finishes "Rumors" by Anna Godbersen yesterday.. Probably go straight into "Envy" by the same author today.

Started The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time this morning, and have read 159 pages. At this rate I'll have it finished by the end of the day easily. It's very very good. :friends0:

I MUST get my hands on this "Dog in the Night Time" book soon.. I've been wanting it forever and just haven't gotten it -- The HK libraries were always out of it! I'm going to get a library card this wkend and hopefully they'll have it :friends0:

Glad to see you are liking it, Ben.

Started The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time this morning, and have read 159 pages. At this rate I'll have it finished by the end of the day easily. It's very very good. :friends0:

So glad to hear you're enjoying it so much, it's one of my all time favorites! :D Bethany I hope you get a chance to read this book soon!

I need to read that one too, Beth! I bought it at a library book sale last year and it's still sitting there on my shelf. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

I can't decide what to read next. I stopped at 2 Half Price Book stores last night and neither one had the next Kelley Armstrong book. I'll check online with the library today and hopefully they have it. I'm making myself refrain from any 'new' book purchases until next Friday but it's so tempting!

I need to read that one too, Beth! I bought it at a library book sale last year and it's still sitting there on my shelf. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

I can't decide what to read next. I stopped at 2 Half Price Book stores last night and neither one had the next Kelley Armstrong book. I'll check online with the library today and hopefully they have it. I'm making myself refrain from any 'new' book purchases until next Friday but it's so tempting!

Well how about The Curious Incident?? :D:friends0: It's a really quick read so you'll be able to finish it before the next Kelley Armstrong book!

Well how about The Curious Incident?? :lol::friends0: It's a really quick read so you'll be able to finish it before the next Kelley Armstrong book!

:lol: Duh! Forgive me, Frankie, it's only 7:07am in the morning here and my first coffee isn't even half finished. Brilliant idea of course!! :D

:lol: Duh! Forgive me, Frankie, it's only 7:07am in the morning here and my first coffee isn't even half finished. Brilliant idea of course!! :D

:lol: Well I know what it's like in the mornings, without enough coffee in the system, so yes you're excused! :friends0:

:friends0: That was funny, you guys. :D

Peace, definitely a great idea.. and of course you must let me know how you get on with it. I'm sure you're going to love it! Hopefully I can get my hands on it really soon, too.

Alrighty then! When I get home tonight I'll try to rememebr what box I packed it in and will start it. Now I'm excited! :friends0:

And yep, I will definitely let you know how I find it, Bethany :D.

I've started The Dante Club and my mojo is like 'wuh? Is it time to wake up?' as I haven't read in a week. I'll probably be slow enough while I'm sick, but so far it's intriguing if not disgusting :friends0:

I confess, I've finished. Fantastic. Amazing. Utterly thought-provoking. I'm not home until Friday, when I can write a proper review. The fact I've finished it so quickly though, speaks volumes, I couldn't put it down.