What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

I havent had much time to read more than a few chapters this week. I put Sarum aside (as much as I enjoyed it) because I was getting a little burned out reading the same book. Last week I ordered a book called We're Still Here. Its about the Virginia Indians. I'm really interested in Native American history as its come to my attention that I have a few ancestors that we're NA on my mother's side and I believe we have a few on my father's side.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read up to page 69 of Frankenstein 1 last night - that means all of 40 pages in a day! Granted, mass market paperback pages are not very long and Koontz is oh so skilled at making you want more with his three-page chapters; still, for me that's a lot of reading to be done in a single day so... whooo :D! Off for some more of the same, hope to read up to page 100 before lunch and maybe a bit more during the day if I get the time.

Catwoman, what are you thinking of Eclipse?

Katrina, that's so interesting about your Native American heritage! Do you know from what tribe? I know some about the Plains Indians, but I'm not even sure which kind were from Virginia. Oh, and did you ever read your ARC of 'The Swan Thieves?' I am waiting anxiously for it's official release in January :D.

Good work on getting through the Koontz, BookJumper! Are you liking it? I remember reading an oldie of his called 'Lightning' way back in high school, and I read the first Odd Thomas book but that's been the extent of it.

I finished Curious Incident a few days ago and am now deciding what to read next. I may hit one more 1/2 Price Books this weekend to see if I can find the next Armstrong book, otherwise I may start the 3rd Sookie book or perhaps my first ever Anne Rice. Hmmm...

I began Brighton Rock, I read the first 50 pages.

I forgot to mention yesterday something that disappointed me. I ordered from the bookshop I usually go to Secret Garden and told my dad to gather it. the next day, I opened the first page to see who translated it and instead there was a note: adaptation from the original.:D But we said not to take it back, because it only costed 5 euros, so I'll give it to some younger cousin of mine. Oh well, gotta find the original now...

Got up to page 93 (close enough to the set target) of Koontz's Frankenstein 1 before lunch. Despite being a bit unsure of the beginning I'm really getting into it now, there is just the right mix of clever-clever, ironic literary tribute thrown in with the thriller. A die-hard Shelley fan, I am not in any way up in arms, and believe that to be the greatest of all compliments one could give to an off-shoot.

I decided to start Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer -wasn't in the mood for something new :D

Catwoman's reading it for the first time, Stephanie. Ahh to go back to those days, reading SM's books for the first time, before the madness! :D

I was re-reading my fave bits of BD last night before bed. For me, unfortunately there weren't that many, but still I am an addict :).

Waiting for delivery of new books, so trawled around the market stalls today (whilst I was supposed to be working - I love my job sometimes), didn't find anything worth picking up though.

Having finished my latest reread of Northern Lights, and seeing as I currently have nothing else that takes my fancy, tonight I'll be settling down with plenty of tea and The Subtle Knife, my favourite chocolate and a hot water bottle. Lady Muck I am :D

I am almost done with The Book of Lost Things, but I am planning to read the extra information in the back as well. Excellent, excellent book that made me a cry a little in spots. But I cry easily. :D:D

I loved this book too, a real favourite of mine. The extra information is interesting too. :)

I am almost done with The Book of Lost Things, but I am planning to read the extra information in the back as well. Excellent, excellent book that made me a cry a little in spots. But I cry easily. :D:D

Glad you're enjoying it! It made me cry too. :)

The Book of Lost Things is a favourite of mines too :D

Started reading 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' by Shirley Jackson, so far, so good

:D

A favourite of mine too! :) Hope you enjoy it!

I just returned from bringing about 10 bags of stuff over to the charity shop and of course I couldn't leave without checking on their book section. SCORE!! They had Stolen by Kelley Armstrong for less than a dollar, yay! Now I know what to start tonight :D.

Peacefield, great trip to the charityshops then, aye? :D

I just finished Karin Slaughter's Kisscut, it was another amazing Grant County novel and yet a really upsetting read. Sometimes I wonder if Slaughter's childhood/past has been an unhappy one, it's really hard for me to think that someone who's only 10 years older than me could have written these kinds of books and come from a perfectly normal and happy background. Just my thoughts though.

I'm probably going to start Grant County #3, A Faint Cold Fear, tonight. I'm beginning to be in the mood for something completely different from these crime novels that I've been reading, but I cannot just not pick up the next Slaughter book when it's so readily available on my bookshelf!

I just returned from bringing about 10 bags of stuff over to the charity shop and of course I couldn't leave without checking on their book section. SCORE!! They had Stolen by Kelley Armstrong for less than a dollar, yay! Now I know what to start tonight :D.

Wow! Well done you! :D That was a great stroke of luck, I think you were obviously meant to read this series! :)

I'm probably going to start Grant County #3, A Faint Cold Fear, tonight. I'm beginning to be in the mood for something completely different from these crime novels that I've been reading, but I cannot just not pick up the next Slaughter book when it's so readily available on my bookshelf!

So glad you're enjoying this series frankie, it's always great finding a new author! :lol:

Brilliant buy peacefield! :D

I'm still reading The Lost Book Of Salem, loving it, but had absolutely no time to read on my trip, so looking forward to finishing that this weekend.

I'm so glad you're loving Salem, Lexie!! :D And I just have to ask, have you met Sam yet and if so don't you love him?! Sounds like you made a great haul too at the charity shop, nice work!

And yes, I do believe finding Stolen today was pure providence! Maybe my good karma for making all those donations came back to me that quick :D.

I'm so glad you're loving Salem, Lexie!! :) And I just have to ask, have you met Sam yet and if so don't you love him?! Sounds like you made a great haul too at the charity shop, nice work!

Yes and yes :D I've just got to the point where

Sam fell and hurt his leg and has been told about the seizures.

I'm so curious to see where it's going,

I figure it has something to do with her teacher being a bad guy as he's so forceful about her finding the book!

Really hoping to finish it tonight :)

Just finished The Book of Lost Things, and yes, it is wonderful, everyone. :)

I am now starting Jane Eyre, which I borrowed from the library yesterday. It's funny, because I would never have chosen to read this book on my own, but joining this forum and having others recommend it has intrigued me. Now I am excited about reading it. :D

You are all a bad influence on me. :)

I am now starting Jane Eyre, which I borrowed from the library yesterday. It's funny, because I would never have chosen to read this book on my own, but joining this forum and having others recommend it has intrigued me. Now I am excited about reading it. :)

You are all a bad influence on me. :)

I hope you enjot it! It's one of my favourites, and the first novel I can remember to make me openly weep! (You'll know the bit when you get to it, I'm sure!!)

NN.

Haven't read too much today, but have managed to get about 70 pages into Stolen. Very exciting right from the get-go! I just learned football doesn't start for another 2.5 hours, so I think I'll squeeze some more pages in...:)