Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

Johnathan Strange is on my list too, i have had that in my collection for around three and a half years if i remember correctly so it's about time i got onto it :giggle:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnathan Strange is on my list too, i have had that in my collection for around three and a half years if i remember correctly so it's about time i got onto it :blush:

It is about time, Rawr! If you read it before I do, be sure to let me know what you think :giggle:. I think I picked it up last year at a library sale, but for some reason it's always looked so daunting to me up on my shelf! I've heard so many good things about it though so we just have to read it, right?! ;)

Yes, it has a lot of good reviews and seems intriguing. I have three different sections to it, cause when i bought it, it was in a special package or something.

Fab list peacefield ;)

I have read ~

Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong, a great introduction to Paige :giggle:

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris, is really good, its all happening!

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke, I had this book for ages peacefield, gave it away and then bought it again, read it, loved it, its a fantastic story

And I have ~

The Fourth Bear - Jasper Fforde on my tbr pile :blush:

Happy reading :lol:

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke, I had this book for ages peacefield, gave it away and then bought it again, read it, loved it, its a fantastic story

That's good to hear :giggle:

Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice

Mysteries of the Benjamin Society - Trenton Lee Stewart

Mr. Darcy's Daughters - Elizabeth Aston

The Last Witchfinder - James Morrow

Great list :giggle: The House of the Seven Gables has such an interesting history (did you know that Nathaniel Hawthorne was actually related to the infamous judge who presided over the Salem witch trials? He actually changed his last name in hopes of disassociating himself with him!)

I'm stealing these and adding them to my wishlist. :blush: Thanks!

Great list ;) The House of the Seven Gables has such an interesting history (did you know that Nathaniel Hawthorne was actually related to the infamous judge who presided over the Salem witch trials? He actually changed his last name in hopes of disassociating himself with him!)

I did know that, yes, CaliLily! :giggle: I toured the House of Seven Gables back in 2003 and learned a lot about Hawthorne and those events from the very informative tourguide. It's been on my TBR shelf ever since :blush:.

I did know that, yes, CaliLily! :giggle: I toured the House of Seven Gables back in 2003 and learned a lot about Hawthorne and those events from the very informative tourguide. It's been on my TBR shelf ever since :blush:.

I'm so jealous! I've been facinated with the Salem Witch Trials ever since studying it in middle school. ;) Hopefully The House of the Seven Gables is a good read for the both of us!

I have heard a lot of good things about 'Mr Darcy's Daughters', enjoy it peacefield :lol: there is so many books being released like this, I have 'Mr Darcy, Vampyre' on my TBR pile. :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (synopsis courtesy of Waterstones)

WHAT WAS LOST WILL BE FOUND...Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned at the last minute to deliver an evening lecture in the Capitol Building. Within moments of his arrival, however, a disturbing object - gruesomely encoded with five symbols - is discovered at the epicentre of the Rotunda. It is, he recognises, an ancient invitation, meant to beckon its recipient towards a long-lost world of hidden esoteric wisdom. When Langdon's revered mentor, Peter Solomon - philanthropist and prominent mason - is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend's life is to accept this mysterious summons and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon finds himself quickly swept behind the facade of America's most historic city into the unseen chambers, temples and tunnels which exist there. All that was familiar is transformed into a shadowy, clandestine world of an artfully concealed past in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth. A brilliantly composed tapestry of veiled histories, arcane icons and enigmatic codes, The Lost Symbol is an intelligent, lightning-paced thriller that offers surprises at every turn. For, as Robert Langdon will discover, there is nothing more extraordinary or shocking than the secret which hides in plain sight...

The Lost Symbol was definitely a Dan Brown book, complete with uber short chapters (sometimes half a page) and cliffhangers around every corner. While I realized I could read book after book about symbology and Masonic history, I found myself getting a little bored with Langdon and company. The bad guy was kind of over-the-top in my opinion, and while I know that there are people out there just as delusional as this guy, I never quite believed the things he was spouting off to himself in his head. I guessed his true identity shortly before the end of the book (I

I look forward to reading this, as formulaic and static as Brown's stories can be, they are still gripping. I could read about the Masons and all the secrets of the leaders of the world forever also, so this is very much relevant to my interests :kissing:

I agree, Rawr, his stories are very gripping. I think you'll like this one :kissing:. The whole time I was reading it too it made me very anxious to get back to DC and have good wander around. There is a massive amount of cultural significance all in one place and it's very fascinating!

• 2 weeks later...

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Blurb from the back of the book:

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations - the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge - an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder - and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

When Paige was introduced as a character in the second of Armstrong's books, I remember thinking that I wasn't quite sure about her. She grew on me very quickly though in this one and I loved the fact that she was her own person and not some wimpy witch that is always just trying to fly under the radar like her coven sisters. In some ways her counterparts were acting like the witches in the old days, just trying to go unnoticed and not wanting to stir up any trouble. I loved though how instead, Paige wanted to improve upon the work that her coven did, and as their leader accomplish this and make them better witches. I also really liked the relationship that Paige and Savannah had, and I could see some of Savannah in a young Paige.

Oh and of course, Lucas! :) I loved this dynamic, and how all three characters interacted with eachother. Both Paige and Lucas were sort of 'shunned' in their respective backgrounds, so I felt they meshed really well together. Can't wait to read the next in this series!

I am so glad you enjoyed 'Dime Store Magic', it is a great introduction to Paige, Lucas and Savannah, I also liked how Paige embraced who she was and tried to help other witches.

Lucas is also a great character :)

I like Paige. She is quite a normal character despite being a witch. I really like Lucas too, they are a great couple.

My favourite Otherworld couple next to Elena and Clay :)

Yep, I loved Lucas and Paige as a couple as well, and I especially liked that they didn't get along really at first. It took time for Paige to be able to trust Lucas, and the attraction thing just kind of jumped upon them :lol:.

I'm looking forward to getting Industrial Magic, Chesilbeach! :)