Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

Interesting review peacefield, its a pity it was not as good as you thought it would be, it does like a good idea, story idea, one of the reviews on amazon said it was 'High Brow Scoobydoo', which I thought was quite funny and thought you might too :roll:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:roll: That's hilarious, Weave! I wish there would've been more Scoobydoo, because then it might've implied some exciting ghosts or something! Oh well. I would definitely check out more by this author though, because IMO she's a talented writer.

:roll: That's hilarious, Weave! I wish there would've been more Scoobydoo, because then it might've implied some exciting ghosts or something! Oh well. I would definitely check out more by this author though, because IMO she's a talented writer.

I hope the author's next book is better hen :D

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Synopsis via Waterstone's:

When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her. Water for Elephants is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.

I wished this book hadn't ended! I was so taken by Jacob and his life in the circus, I would've loved to have followed him in chapter after chapter of his life. I loved that the book started and ended (almost) in the same scene, and sprinkled throughout were moments in current time while Jacob was in an elderly care center at age 90 (or is it 93? ;)) and reliving his memories of those years he spent with the circus. All the characters in the story were so alive, and I loved reading about the dynamic between performers and 'roustabouts.'

I must admit I did have to skim a little over some of the animal parts, since some of it was too hard for me to read. Not that it was graphic, but you feel so sad for these poor performing animals, not knowing any better and just doing what they're told. Jacob was so compassionate though, exactly as a vet should be. He was an amazing character, I tell you! :) I can't wait to read more by Gruen, and I highly recommend this one to anyone thinking of reading it.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Synopsis via Waterstone's:

When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her. Water for Elephants is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.

I wished this book hadn't ended! I was so taken by Jacob and his life in the circus, I would've loved to have followed him in chapter after chapter of his life. I loved that the book started and ended (almost) in the same scene, and sprinkled throughout were moments in current time while Jacob was in an elderly care center at age 90 (or is it 93? ;)) and reliving his memories of those years he spent with the circus. All the characters in the story were so alive, and I loved reading about the dynamic between performers and 'roustabouts.'

I must admit I did have to skim a little over some of the animal parts, since some of it was too hard for me to read. Not that it was graphic, but you feel so sad for these poor performing animals, not knowing any better and just doing what they're told. Jacob was so compassionate though, exactly as a vet should be. He was an amazing character, I tell you! :) I can't wait to read more by Gruen, and I highly recommend this one to anyone thinking of reading it.

What a great review peacefield, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! I agree with you about the animals, it was quite sad wasn't it. Jacob is a lovely character isn't he? old and young. :lol:

What a great review peacefield, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! I agree with you about the animals, it was quite sad wasn't it. Jacob is a lovely character isn't he? old and young. :lol:

Thanks, Weave! I'm pleased I was pleased with it too :). It was sad about the animals, but I just had to keep thinking how worse off they'd be if Jacob wasn't there to care for them. And OMG I can't wait to see the film! Jacob is a lovely character, and a fiesty old man, too! ;)

Thanks, Weave! I'm pleased I was pleased with it too :). It was sad about the animals, but I just had to keep thinking how worse off they'd be if Jacob wasn't there to care for them. And OMG I can't wait to see the film! Jacob is a lovely character, and a fiesty old man, too! ;)

Very much so, I think its a great book to make into a movie, it has something for everyone :lol:

You finished the book already? I'm impressed. You really enjoyed it did you, I'm so happy! Can't wait to read it myself ;)

:) I know, it was a quick read for me! Usually I'm a much slower reader, but tbh, it's not a gigantic book. I can't wait for you to read it either, Frankie!

;) I know, it was a quick read for me! Usually I'm a much slower reader, but tbh, it's not a gigantic book. I can't wait for you to read it either, Frankie!

I know it's not gigantic but it's not like it's only 200 pages either. I was really impressed that you'd finished it already :) Too bad that it's a circus book and there are probably no dogs, they are not the most uncommon or dangerous species...

There is a dog Frankie! It's kept as a pet by one of the characters. :)

Yes indeed Frankie, Kylie is right, there is a dog called Queenie ;)

Yay!!! Yes yes yes ;) Happyhappyhappyhappyhappy!

Edit: I just told BF about the book and he showed me this news clip. Awww, thirsty Troublesome :)

What a great story, I love stories like that:lol:

Cookie, you might not be able to handle this book if you had trouble with baby flamingos. The animal cruelty isn't excessive, but there are some bits that I had to skim through ;).

That's a hilarious story about that elephant, Frankie! :) But ewww, drinking hot tub water? Yikes!

I just took a look in the IMDB page for the film of WFE, and I was a bit surprised to see Christoph Waltz playing August. Not who I pictured, but he's an Oscar-winner so bound to be good! Also, there's a character in the film named Wade. Does anyone remember a Wade from the book?! I don't.

Cookie, you might not be able to handle this book if you had trouble with baby flamingos. The animal cruelty isn't excessive, but there are some bits that I had to skim through ;).

That's a hilarious story about that elephant, Frankie! :) But ewww, drinking hot tub water? Yikes!

I just took a look in the IMDB page for the film of WFE, and I was a bit surprised to see Christoph Waltz playing August. Not who I pictured, but he's an Oscar-winner so bound to be good! Also, there's a character in the film named Wade. Does anyone remember a Wade from the book?! I don't.

Wade was the man who worked with August :lol: I think ;)

Hmmm, why can't I remember him? I remember Earl, Blackie, Cecil... Oh well! Thanks, Weave :).

Thinking about it, Wade was the man who took Jacob to meet Uncle Al, so Wade may have worked with Uncle Al, I can't remember if he is mentioned again ;)

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Synopsis via Waterstones:

Things between cocktail waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill seem to be going excellently (apart from the small matter of him being undead) until he leaves town for a while. A long while. Bill's sinister boss Eric has an idea of where to find him, whisking her off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. When she finally catches up with the errant vampire, he is in big trouble and caught in an act of serious betrayal. This raises serious doubts as to whether she should save him or start sharpening a few stakes of her own...

I'm so glad I decided to pick up with this series again! For some reason this 3rd book seemed much more enjoyable to me than the previous, and I didn't want to put it down :lol:.

When thinking about it, I decided I liked Sookie's character more, and liked how she was so independent in all of her actions. She was basically fed up, and didn't mind having to make difficult choices. Even though she was strong, she also broke down a few times, which is a very human thing to do. I also found myself rooting for her and Alcide! I liked his character a lot :lol:. All in all this was a very enjoyable read for me, and I'm looking forward to continuing.

A question for you True Blood watchers since I've only seen season 1 and a couple eps of season 2 - where are the eps in relation to the books? I mean, is Alcide in the show yet? Or,

have they gotten to the point where Sookie and Bill aren't neccessarily together anymore because of his unfaithfulness?

I know Alcide is in the 3rd series but I am not sure what happens with Bill and Sookie, I think it will happen though, that they will spilt up.

I am so glad you enjoyed 'Club Dead', Sookie does grow on you, she is a great character :lol:

Thanks, Weave! :lol: It's good to know about the TV show, I'm looking forward to getting caught up.

I'm glad that Sookie is growing on me too. What a pain to have to read a series when you don't like the main character! :lol:

I'm on a reading roll I guess this weekend, woo! I finished Land of the Burnt Thigh (review below) this afternoon and have just started The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr.

Land of the Burnt Thigh by Edith Eudora Kohl

There was only a one-line synopsis provided on Amazon, so I mixed that below with an editorial review from 'The Nation' in 1987.

This tale of two sisters courageously homesteading on the prairie in 1907 provides a lively portrait of frontier life. Ida Mary and Edith Ammons were told it was easy: you filed at the land office for a quarter-section (160 acres) lived on it eight months, then 'proved up at $1.25 an acre, and the land was yours. Their story is a lively one. One look and they know they're in trouble. Plunked down on the prairie with their trunks (and a jug of water-the compassionate gift of their departing driver), they stare in panic. Section 18, Range 77W is a waterless, treeless expanse with a deserted tarpaper shack the size of a packing box.

This autobiographical account is set in the central part of South Dakota, near the Lower Brule Indian Reservation. It got it's name from a legend about some Indians who escaped a prairie fire each only with burned thighs. Following the Ammons sisters from St. Louis to the 'west' in 1907 is probably one of the most interesting reads I've done on this topic. Learning about starting from complete and total scratch, and all the hardships they encountered was just mind-boggling! The sisters came with barely nothing, and learned that the land they staked a claim to that supposedly had a 'home' already on it, was nothing but a square shack covered with tar paper. From this one of them started a school and began teaching, and the other started a local newspaper. This newspaper slowly developed into a post office, a store and an Indian trading post.

These women had so many factors against them, including Mother Nature herself with prairie fires in the summer and blizzards in the winter. The fact that more and more people were streaming in from the east, all wanting to set up their own homestead, made them want to remain and be part of history. The urgency of Americans to move into new territory and own a piece of their own land, to harvest and raise animals, is so intriguing to me. Many of my relatives were farmers, and came from overseas and New England to the midwest to be 'pioneers.' From the Dakotas, people went on to settle Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. Without these strong-will people with a pioneering spirit, nothing we have now would be the same today. I'm so very grateful to them! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been very bad at putting reviews up lately, sorry guys! Life has been moving swiftly along and I feel like I get caught up but then it's Monday and it starts all over again ;).

Since I posted last, I gave up on The Family Tree due to severe boredom. I think it just wasn't the right time for me to read it though, so I'm hanging onto it to attempt at a later date. I also finished my re-read of Eclipse and also threw in another fluffy chic lit book, The Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot. Pretty typical and I guess I'll read more if I see them on the cheap shelf at 1/2 Price Books. Oh, and you all can probably guess my review of Eclipse without even typing it out...:smile2:

I also finished The Short Seconde Life of Bree Tanner and enjoyed it, although felt it was too short and I found myself wanting to learn more! I did like seeing Bree's side of things though, and how in the dark she and the 'army' actually were before they descended upon everyone's fave town, Forks.

Anyway! Off the fluffy stuff and back to something a little more substantial. I have dove into The World to Come by Dara Horn and am loving it.

Edited by peacefield

I know Alcide is in the 3rd series but I am not sure what happens with Bill and Sookie, I think it will happen though, that they will spilt up.

I am so glad you enjoyed 'Club Dead', Sookie does grow on you, she is a great character :D

My only comments are that we need to see a lot more of Eric in season 3 :D